Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,118 times

Advertisements

We've lived in the Clearwater/ St. Petersburg area of Florida for 7 years, and we love it in Florida. Recently we got a job offer in Jacksonville and we are researching it to see if that is where we'd like to take the family. I'm 35, hubby is 40 and the kids are in their early teen years. He's in IT and makes a good income, I'm back in school to continue my Exercise Science degree, apparently Jacksonville University offers that degree as well so I'll be able to continue there.

As I said I'm researching. Looks like things are much more spread out in Jacksonville, so lots of driving (originally from TN, so I'm used to that). There are a bit more variations with the weather (which sounds good actually). But crime can be bad in the north and west. Crime is something I'm used to from St. Pete, but here it's only streets that separate good and bad, not long distances, so moving to Jacksonville seems like it might actually be an improvement. Looks like housing is a bit cheaper. Any other things I should know about? Anything I'm getting wrong? I don't need a big city feel. I'm minutes from Tampa and rarely go, no draw to it. What are the biggest things I will find different moving from St. Pete to Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,048 times
I work in the Tampa area and live in JAX. Let's see,...it's definitely more rednecky over here. More like South Georgia than North FL, especially when you get to the outlying areas. Traffic isn't as bad though in general. The water at the beach is brown instead of blue. That's about all I can think of right now.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 AM

245 posts, read 662,557 times
Yeah, you are definitely no longer in Florida once you hit Jacksonville......you are in South Georgia.....

Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM

11 posts, read 16,730 times
Hi,

My husband and I are thinking about moving from Chicago to Jacksonville as well. So far it has seemed like a good place but now I am getting nervous. He is in IT and I am studying Psychology for my bachelors. Housing has seemed cheap there, it has been rated a great place to live for IT.... but how is the food scene!? One thing we love about our Chicago is the food options are endless. How is the downtown area? We do not need a huge city but we would like to have shopping and dining options. Are there ever any shows/plays/operas/orchestra's? Is there any free stuff/outdoor stuff in the area?
The OP asked a lot of good questions, I wanted to introduce some more! Sorry OP, I do not mean to hijack your post! Hopefully we can both learn things on this thread that will benefit our questions since we are in similar situations!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Jacksonville is a ****hole compared to St. Pete unless you currently live in some ****ty place like South St. Pete, Lealman, Pinellas Park or Kenneth City

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Jacksonville is a ****hole compared to St. Pete unless you currently live in some ****ty place like South St. Pete, Lealman, Pinellas Park or Kenneth City

stay classy

Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marions22 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are thinking about moving from Chicago to Jacksonville as well. So far it has seemed like a good place but now I am getting nervous. He is in IT and I am studying Psychology for my bachelors. Housing has seemed cheap there, it has been rated a great place to live for IT.... but how is the food scene!? One thing we love about our Chicago is the food options are endless. How is the downtown area? We do not need a huge city but we would like to have shopping and dining options. Are there ever any shows/plays/operas/orchestra's? Is there any free stuff/outdoor stuff in the area?
The OP asked a lot of good questions, I wanted to introduce some more! Sorry OP, I do not mean to hijack your post! Hopefully we can both learn things on this thread that will benefit our questions since we are in similar situations!
Jacksonville isn't anything like Chicago. The food scene is dismal compared to Chicago. Downtown is far from swell. We have decent middle of the road and discount shopping (most of which is in the suburbs - not downtown) - not much at the high end. OTOH - we do have shows - plays - concerts in many flavors - a symphony orchestra - and the occasional opera.

There are things you can do for free - but most attractions cost money. Although they're not all that expensive - and it's possible to get various kinds of discounts for various things.

I think you'll have a lot more culture shock coming here than someone coming from Tampa/St. Pete. Robyn

Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
I work in the Tampa area and live in JAX. Let's see,...it's definitely more rednecky over here. More like South Georgia than North FL, especially when you get to the outlying areas. Traffic isn't as bad though in general. The water at the beach is brown instead of blue. That's about all I can think of right now.
It also gets colder here in the winter. And - if you're near the ocean - I think it's a bit cooler here than if you're near the gulf. Robyn

Old 08-18-2012, 01:29 PM

34 posts, read 65,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
stay classy
He was blunt, but he was correct. St Pete is a paradise compared to Jax.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:08 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
stay classy
It's called honesty... who the **** in their right mind would move to Jax from St. Pete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville