Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM

120 posts, read 390,955 times

Advertisements

Hello. Currently live in South Florida. Considering a move to Jacksonville. What are the pros/cons of the city? Considering South JAX around San Marco and Mandarin or across the river in Avondale area. Holistic minded. Work out of the house. Baby Boomer couple with no children only a couple of cats. Like to garden. Shop at Whole Foods, Costco, farmer markets, Publix. Enjoy walking along the beach. Convenience to shopping, doctors, everyday errands, great shopping/restaurant districts. Live in a neighborly, more city-like, walkable environment, would be nice. Single family house but would rent first. Anyone on this forum a former South Florida resident that moved to JAX or a SW PA former resident that moved to JAX - would also like to hear your perspective; as well as from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
I'm a born-and-raised Jaxson who lived in Gainesville and Chicago for several years each so that's my perspective, although I've visited Pittsburgh once and Miami many many times.

Just reading your quick summation of yourselves you'd probably want San Marco, Riverside, Avondale, Brooklyn, or the Beaches. Since the Whole Foods is in Mandarin and Costco is at the Town Center, that means your grocery options would have to be Publix in Riverside/Avondale/San Marco/Beaches, Fresh Market for Brooklyn, or Trader Joe's, Fresh Market, and Publix at the Beaches.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityGirl57 View Post
Hello. Currently live in South Florida. Considering a move to Jacksonville. What are the pros/cons of the city? Considering South JAX around San Marco and Mandarin or across the river in Avondale area. Holistic minded. Work out of the house. Baby Boomer couple with no children only a couple of cats. Like to garden. Shop at Whole Foods, Costco, farmer markets, Publix. Enjoy walking along the beach. Convenience to shopping, doctors, everyday errands, great shopping/restaurant districts. Live in a neighborly, more city-like, walkable environment, would be nice. Single family house but would rent first. Anyone on this forum a former South Florida resident that moved to JAX or a SW PA former resident that moved to JAX - would also like to hear your perspective; as well as from others.
My husband and I moved here from Miami in 1995. What you're looking for is all here (except for the great shopping and restaurants). And it's not walkable. Unless you kind of like to walk 20 miles each way <LOL>. And it's not city-like at all. Pretty much like south Florida with colder winters and a lot less traffic.

Whole Foods is in Mandarin. Costco is at the Town Center (another Costco will be in Orange Park soon IIRC). Farmers' markets are kind of here and there (I go to the one at Neptune Beach). We're getting a Traders Joe's out here in Jax Beach soon (the building is under construction). Like I said - you're talking about a 40 mile RT drive to hit all of these places.

The beach is well - at the beach. From Atlantic Beach to Ponte Vedra Beach - but well east of places like Whole Foods or Costco.

Doctors - we get most of our medical care at the Mayo Clinic (a 10-15 minute drive) - and the rest from a couple of local docs/dentists out here at the beaches (very convenient).

What's most important to you? E.g., the historic neighborhoods in the metro area aren't near the beach - or Whole Foods/Costco or - for the most part - a decent Publix either. Robyn

Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 AM

659 posts, read 1,173,574 times
The Farmer Market under the bridge downtown. I think riverside area... very walkable access around town and to river and a trolley ride for around town site seeing. Would have to get in the car for beaches and Costco.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,283,675 times
Quote:

If the beach is your priority, Atlantic Beach is your spot. Or, the other beaches East of 3rd Street.
www.coab.us/

Or, if the beach is not your priority, look at these neighborhoods.

Riverside & Avondale historic district
www.riverside-avondale.com

San Marco
www.mysanmarco.com
www.smpsjax.com

Springfield historic district
www.myspringfield.org
www.sparcouncil.org

And use a realtor that is familiar with these unique areas. Most of Jax is very suburban and realtors aren't very knowledgeable about these neighborhoods, which are the opposite of suburban.

Here's some good ones:

Intown Jacksonville*historic & intown real estate - Intown Jacksonville Historic and Intown Real Estate

Crissie Cudd - Real Estate Agent in Jacksonville, FL - Find a REALTOR(R) - Realtor.com®

Reginald Fountain Watson Realty Corp.

Flo Bliss Watson Realty Corp.

Pat Nodurft - Real Estate Agent in Jacksonville, FL - Find a REALTOR(R) - Realtor.com®

Old 03-20-2014, 01:13 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
I lived in SoFl AND Philly.

Jax is a humble quiet place and the people are very nice. I enjoyed it but you have to adjust to the pace. What I loved was living on the water/river. it's different than, say, Ft Lauderdale's canals, it's a RIVER. But it has manatees, some dolphin and passing boats, jetskis etc.

Summers are Florida hot and there's a shower almost daily at 3 PM lol. Winters can be mild or down in the 20's. But it's fine.

I lived on the south bank in a high rise rental but being a pet sitter, I worked all over the metro area.

You'd probably like Miramar on the border of San Marco. There are lots of neighborhoods to see.

If you want to walk to something it has to be Riverside or San Marco by the square but there's no actual grocery. The closest ones are down on University. Avondale is slightly nicer but there's no typical stores like dry cleaner, grocer, hairdresser, bank, pizza etc. Riverside actually has so much you wouldn't need a car (if you didn't have one).

ALSO the BEST hairdresser I ever found this past decade including Philly. Hair Peace. They do a brilliant dry cut technique especially for curly hair and are Deva Products trained. My hair is not particularly curly but wavy. I'd drive back to them right NOW if I had the time, 4 hours away from where I live - Vero Beach.

I'd say rent at the Strand or The Peninsula for the gorgeous views if it's in your range, then explore all the different areas. It's 850 sq miles!!! I would pick the "side" that faces OPEN in the Peninsula it's very peaceful with a bit of tourist activity like the steam boat going out at night. You can eat at a couple restaurants in walking distance even in the Wyndham and Ruth's Cris down the street in the other hotel if you want that type of food. I don't eat out much but my clients all did. Lots of people go over to Avondale restaurants. Or for drinks. NOT clubs just a couple of bars in restaurants and you can sit outside just like in Riverside.

IF you can find something in Riverside, that'll work, too - it's ticks off more of your boxes on your list. It's walkable for every day things but no clothing or that type of retail. If you care, that Publix is very small and I always went to the one on University but if I could walk it would be fine.

There are some duplexes there on the river if you're into the water (like me). Historic homes turned into duplexes on River Blvd. I almost rented a beautiful one till the owner told me I didn't need screens because there was A/C.

Also an apartment complex that's ok, a couple of condos here and there for rent and a high rise I forget the name.

I wanted to live downtown but didn't because there's nothing there...but the Berkman on that North bank has some rental condos and is beautiful. BUT you must use your car for everything so I'd forget about that one. Unless you're "stuck".

Personally, I feel a property that's owned and managed professionally like The Strand is a much better deal than putting up with owner's idiosyncrasies. But you're probably used to that having lived in FL now LOL. I'm over the "private owner" nonsense, though. And I loved having the pool and amenities.

Publix started delivery to the Strand a couple years ago, I don't know if they still do it. The people are all friendly, from all over the world and lots of relocations/transplants with a balance of Floridians, too.

You read crazy stuff on the internet about the Strand and Peninsula. People saying "OMG THERE"S ALWAYS COP CARS THERE".

YEAH. That's because the Peninsula PAYS for that - given it's a luxury high rise with some units that went for $750K and when they have events they go the extra mile. It's not because IT'S DANGEROUS LOL.

You can get beautiful rentals in there from private owners and the amenities are the best in that building. Including the 39th floor having a gorgeous common area where you can see all over the city. Spa, hairdresser, gym, a couple "libraries" and business centers, etc.

And they used to have a pet sitter on site. Till I moved hahaha.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-20-2014 at 01:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville