Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 AM

227 posts, read 967,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phallicphantom View Post
But isn't there some kind of governmental oversight? Don't these CDD budgets have to be pre-approved annually by local authorities? What is the makeup of these boards? Is there not a requirement that homeowners sit on the board and participate in budget hearings? Maybe we need to investigate the local body that may be in cahoots with the developers to rubber stamp these outlandish numbers. Who knows what kind of corruption we might uncover?
We are talking about two different things here. Community development fees are set by the amount of money it takes to retire the development bonds or development fees. They are like a loan, once they are set up they remain the same until they are paid off. HOA fees are set by the homeowner's association and are voted on by the board. If the homeowner's don't like the level of fees, they can vote them down. There is a set of laws concerning HOA's in Florida.

Florida Statutes Chapter 720,(former 617.301-312)

As far as corruption by the developers, there isn't any in this case. If the homebuyers are willing to pay for the CDD fees why should the government get involved? When the home is purchased, the seller must let the buyer know what the CDD fees are and what they are paying for. If the buyer wants to pay them, that's their thing. If they don't like it they can move on. There also isn't any rubber stamping involved. The huge Florida government beurocracratic machine is involved on every level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 66,472 times
Thanks for your replies. Thank god we're not in a hurry to buy in the area. We're looking to rent in the area for @ a year and to buy after that, making sure my new position and relocation is going to be a good idea. We'll be assessing each communities pros, cons, fees, distance to the beach and to our office in Jax. We love the area but it seems to be a love it or hate it area, I guess we'll find out. Any good suggestions for a 4/3/3 2500 sf pool home in the PVB or surrounding areas for rent in the $1500 to $2500 or so range? Dont want to be in Jax. or in a community with nothing around. Thanks. Vince

Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in JAX View Post
We are talking about two different things here. Community development fees are set by the amount of money it takes to retire the development bonds or development fees. They are like a loan, once they are set up they remain the same until they are paid off. HOA fees are set by the homeowner's association and are voted on by the board. If the homeowner's don't like the level of fees, they can vote them down. There is a set of laws concerning HOA's in Florida.
Let's not get caught up in semantics here. People need to know that what is commonly referred to as CDD fees actually consists of 2 separate components. Yes, the debt component is fixed for whatever the loan term ... 25 or 30 years. That's a given.

The other huge component is Operations & Maintenance which will vary from year to year, always upward. This portion of the fees is debatable and should be subject to annual oversight not just by homeowners who rarely sit on the board but by governmental review.

By the way, how many of us homeowners were shown a "detailed" declaration of all of these fees at the closing.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:32 AM

227 posts, read 967,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phallicphantom View Post
The other huge component is Operations & Maintenance which will vary from year to year, always upward. This portion of the fees is debatable and should be subject to annual oversight not just by homeowners who rarely sit on the board but by governmental review.
So... You are suggesting that the failed and corrupt local governments regulate HOA Operations & Maintenance fees through government oversight review boards? I'm sure that will work just as well as other government oversight committees. Talk about making a problem go from bad to worse. That would probably work out about as well as our local tax assessors’ offices. I can feel the bribes, corruption and red tape already.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:21 PM

95 posts, read 425,818 times
Why am I always a day late and a dollar short. I paid 570 K cash for the luxury of living in a CDD in 2006. I hve never been so miserable in my life. In addiiton I may almost *7k in Tax and 1954.00 in CDD fee in additional to HOA fees. I could have been living in peace and quiet on the River. Now I am really depressed!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
So... You are suggesting that the failed and corrupt local governments regulate HOA Operations & Maintenance fees through government oversight review boards?
No, not just oversight by our elected local government but oversight by local homeowners as well, homeowners who are not given an opportunity to be board members.

But there is also a good share of apathy among homeowners in these community development districts. I'll give you an example. There was a Turnbull Creek CDD budget meeting just last month in St. Johns county. These meetings are open to the public of which there are a couple thousand homeowners paying these fees (Murabella, Kensington, Palencia). Guess how many homeowners showed up at the meeting? ONE!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,013,501 times
ok I couldn't imagine how they could charge those fees so I called my friend and said
"get us the real info"

Here is what he found out
the annual fees for Nocatee are around $2500
Here is the breakdown
CDD fees $1600
HOA $400
Operating fee $500
He said there can be a small variance but nowhere near the 12k a year.

Personally I would not pay $2100 for the "privilege" of saying I live in Nocatee
when there are so many other choices

but thats the info I got

karla

Old 10-08-2007, 01:25 PM

53 posts, read 304,422 times
Palencia is sounding more and more like the best purchase!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,936,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palenciacondo View Post
Palencia is sounding more and more like the best purchase!

it's a nice place, a bit isolated, there are many other good choices other than nocatee and palencia

Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
The land all around NE Florida (with the exception of the salt marshes) is about the same and this entire area floods without proper drainage / retention.
From what I've seen (sorry, I don't have any map links right now, but will post them if I come across them again), there are definitely differences.

I wasn't speaking specifically of the neighborhoods we've been discussing here, but more of a general statement.

I'll just state some examples that come to mind......

Mandarin was built on fill - Mandarin was/is a very swampy area naturally. You can still see that today when you drive around Mandarin. Anyone who had to drive through it in the last 2 weeks would see it for sure - Mandarin floods .

Fort Caroline, by contrast, is one of the highest points around. There are even hills in Fort Caroline. Check out the bluffs that the monument is located on .

The Northside also has a lot of low land. Developers can do something about this to a point (pumping water out, retention ponds, etc), but it doesn't change the fact that the overall land is quite low.

When you look at evacuation maps, or flood maps, these differences show prominently.

Developers are moving to areas like the Northside because that's what is left and they'll deal with the natural state of the land as best they can, but much of it, from a disaster standpoint, is still going to be an early evacuation area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville