Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:50 PM

27 posts, read 60,731 times

Advertisements

Hello All, typical young family of 4 here, considering Palencia...

I'm wondering if we'll end up surrounded by a bunch of snobby people who think they're better than everyone else...where every conversation somehow involves money, how much you paid for something, where you bought it, etc. Not to mention bratty,whiny kids who get everything they want. We've experienced a fair amount of this in Ponte Vedra.

Is anyone out there a resident (or a friend of one) and willing to speak to this?

Considering Nocatee as well, but like Palencia because it's smaller, new Elem School, and closer to St. A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:33 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,984 times
Palencia can be snobby and similar to Ponte Vedra. I know many families who live in Palencia who are very nice. The truth is many are retired from big income and huge houses and still have that attitude to go with it.
Come and look at St Augustine a more cosmopolitan and mixed area
Do not get me wrong I like Palencia as long as you know what you are getting into

Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM

285 posts, read 606,379 times
Have you considered Durbin Crossing? We're getting a new school here in two years also, and it's not at all snobby. I'm still amazed at how down-to-earth every single person we meet is.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback! We would strongly consider Durbin Crossing and the '210 corridor' but...a little too close to the in-laws

Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM

285 posts, read 606,379 times
Ha! Enough said

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM

213 posts, read 315,084 times
We moved to Palencia a couple of months ago and for the most part I really like it. It's a good mix of young families and retirees. During the summer, the pool was lively but not crowded. The fitness center is the same way. We are really enjoying the elementary school. Lots of bike riders and walkers, its very community friendly. I haven't met very many people my own age, but that's probably my own fault. Its the retirees that will seek you out and speak to you on the sidewalks. I do worry about my children being surrounded by "It's all about me" kids. I saw some behavior at the Pacetti Bay orientation that I would not have tolerated, but I don't think it is any worse here than in any other community.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 AM

Thank you very much for the reply!!! I'm happy to hear you enjoy life there so far. Would you mind a few more questions? If not...

Any word on what will become of the old Food Lion store? Guess the publix at WGV is the best option for now?

Are you allowed (or not but do anyway) to ride golf carts around the development...even up to the school area?

We would likely be in the low/middle end of the neighborhood with a budget up to 300k or so. I'm guessing those are the areas where most of the kids/younger families are?

What are your biggest complaints so far? Looks like St. A is fairly accessible, but driving to shopping in Jax looks like a haul.

Thank you again for you time

Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
There are some people I know who live in Palencia. Although I don't know much about the place. Just thought I'd point that out the developer very recently sold the golf course. Don't know what that means - or how it might affect residents. It would - however - be something I'd check out. Robyn

P.S. When it comes to driving golf carts - check with the specific rules at Palencia (it would at a minimum have to follow state and local laws). And if the rules are "honored in the breach" - I'd follow them anyway. Otherwise - if there's an accident - you can easily wind up with a lawsuit and no insurance coverage.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM

60 posts, read 188,895 times
I don't know much about Palencia, other than my husband joined the golf course and he really likes it. We live in Coastal Oaks at Nocatee, and I definitely think you would find the kinds of people in Nocatee that you are looking. It is filled with families, everyone is very down to earth, it is a beautiful, safe, friendly place with good schools. Yes we are a drive to get to stores, but we have a great Publix 5 mins away, and it's 15 mins to Walmart, 20 mins to Target, Costco, Town Center. You get used to driving I guess. Also we are only 5 mins to Davis Park, where most of the kids' sports are, so that's a great feature. And it's only 10 mins to the beach. Have you looked at Greenleaf Village? It seems so nice there, lower priced homes but several park areas. Also Willowcove is building like gangbusters.

HTH!
Lisa with 4 kids and a dog

Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 AM

Many thanks! We've actually been 'watching' Nocatee since the first roads were constructed...such an amazing development really. I'm also someone who gets bored very easily, so being able to hop on a bike, walk on the beach, and other activity is very important to me. With all it's ammenities and proximity to the 'water' it's a great pick, and easy to see why it's growing relatively quickly.

One big negative for us is the elementary school being so far away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the current elementary school about 20 minutes away? What are their plans for a new school inside of Nocatee?

Also, last time I was in the Nocatee fitness center, I was somewhat dissapointed. I'm a little bit of a gym rat. This was perhaps two years ago, so maybe they've added on...

For some reason I'm just crazy about Greenleaf. Willowcove I think is the top choice, but it's on the high end of the budget, which makes me uneasy. Especially given our last two real estate investments, both at the peak of the market, have been a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville