Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 PM

178 posts, read 328,400 times

Advertisements

The construction issues are major and too numerous to get into on this board. I am glad we only rent here. When they start some of the emergency repairs this month on the May St side, it will be obvious that the problems are major, as this will be just the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLiving View Post
The construction issues are major and too numerous to get into on this board. I am glad we only rent here. When they start some of the emergency repairs this month on the May St side, it will be obvious that the problems are major, as this will be just the beginning.
Will you stay there or move away when repairs start?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 AM

I don't know how this will affect us as the work is mostly taking place on the exterior. I am determined not to move again until we find the 'right' place for us. We love it here in Riverside, but I would like a porch, lots of light and a little yard to have small container gardens. Our move in April/May was rushed as our house sold almost immediately and we had find a place to move to, downsize by more than half, and prepare for the closing. The entire process from listing to moving and closing was 6 weeks. It was very traumatic but I've come to really like this condo (have even conquered the lack of storage), but the building leaves much to be desired. We have containers on the balcony and hope our new plantings will not be affected by the upcoming repairs. Living here with engineers and consultants coming and going, and putting up with mold on the deck by our entrance, has been a challenge. Our monthly rent greatly exceeds the value we are getting - except for the location. And I do love my kitchen!! So to answer your question: I do not know if we'll stay or if we'll go. I check the rentals in this area daily, but we did sign a 12 mo. lease, so not sure how that would work.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 PM

297 posts, read 573,036 times
Any update on this? JaxLiving, I sent you a DM. If you aren't comfortable talking about the construction defects, I'd love to hear how you managed downsizing and dealing with the reduced lack of storage. Inquiring minds want to know: Where did you put the litter box??? It's an issue I've struggled with since moving to the south (no basement). Right now my cat has his own room, a bathroom nobody uses.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
Any update on this? JaxLiving, I sent you a DM. If you aren't comfortable talking about the construction defects, I'd love to hear how you managed downsizing and dealing with the reduced lack of storage. Inquiring minds want to know: Where did you put the litter box??? It's an issue I've struggled with since moving to the south (no basement). Right now my cat has his own room, a bathroom nobody uses.
I replied to your DM and will be happy to share any information I can if it will help. I thought we'd have more time once we listed the house, to make decisions on what to do with stuff, but we signed a contract 2 weeks after listing, looked at this place a few days later, and got rid of over half our stuff in 2 -3 weeks. When we saw this unit, I wanted to say "hell no, not doing this", but I didn't have much time and it was the exact building my husband was hoping for so here we are. I've grown to enjoy the security and other amenities and now that I've calmed down, I am reorganizing some of our stuff and am enjoying our new lifestyle.

When our lease is up we'll be looking elsewhere but it will have to be just the right place for us and we'll have time to be more selective.

The litter box is in the bathroom that my husband uses.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,234 times
Has anyone heard anymore about the flaws in the structure of the 1661 Riverside condo's, since original post???? Or anything else about it for that matter???

Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 PM

297 posts, read 573,036 times
There were two units listed last time I looked, both saying "cash buyers." That usually means the condo association is in trouble and banks won't finance the units. The county records show quite a few liens and foreclosures. The original purchasers lost a lot of money on those units.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,234 times
Thanks-I do love that location. It's a shame there's been so many problems with it. I'm sure original owners lost plenty. But regardless of any problems with the building itself, the economy plummeted right after they bought.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Nope...I heard more details about the issues from JaxLiving and I was scared away. ;p

Old 09-26-2014, 02:08 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWB372 View Post
Thanks-I do love that location. It's a shame there's been so many problems with it. I'm sure original owners lost plenty. But regardless of any problems with the building itself, the economy plummeted right after they bought.
The money lost was 100% due to the housing market crashing. Those units are great investment these days. In 10 years, they'll be worth significantly more if there's not another major housing catastrophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville