Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 34,800 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me some basic facts about Orange Park? I am currently living in Syracuse, NY and have a job in the healthcare field.
The cost of living is what worries me the most. Is it possible to get a 2-3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home in a decent neighborhood in the Orange Park area for $300,000 or less?
Also what neighborhoods should I avoid? Crime isn't a huge factor for me since I've lived in Brooklyn, NY for about two years, but I would like to avoid the areas that seem to attract the drug dealers and other criminals.
I am also planning on having kids in the near future, would Orange Park be a good place to raise kids (mainly concerned with the schools)?
How is the traffic? As for traffic in Brooklyn, it usually took anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half to get to work. Is the traffic that bad in Orange Park?
If there are any other neighborhoods that you feel would better suite me than Orange Park please let me know. Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 04:48 PM

754 posts, read 2,815,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan34 View Post
Could anyone tell me some basic facts about Orange Park? I am currently living in Syracuse, NY and have a job in the healthcare field.
The cost of living is what worries me the most. Is it possible to get a 2-3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home in a decent neighborhood in the Orange Park area for $300,000 or less?
Also what neighborhoods should I avoid? Crime isn't a huge factor for me since I've lived in Brooklyn, NY for about two years, but I would like to avoid the areas that seem to attract the drug dealers and other criminals.
I am also planning on having kids in the near future, would Orange Park be a good place to raise kids (mainly concerned with the schools)?
How is the traffic? As for traffic in Brooklyn, it usually took anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half to get to work. Is the traffic that bad in Orange Park?
If there are any other neighborhoods that you feel would better suite me than Orange Park please let me know. Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks
To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can get a lot of great houses in Orange Park for under $300k, 3 -4 BR homes.

2. Based on everything else you said (desire to eventually raise a family, etc.), I can tell you that the best areas of Orange Park are in the Fleming Island and Eagle Harbor areas (zip code 32003). Orange Park Country Club is good, too, but I'm not sure if the homes are out of your desired price range.

3. Orange Park is a great place to raise kids, as the schools here are great. Again, I'd concentrate around the aforementioned areas if you can.

4. Traffic? It depends on where you work and what part of Orange Park you live (as well as what your working hours are). If you work in downtown Jax, it will take you an estimated 45-60 minutes to get to work, assuming an 8 am - 5 pm type of schedule. Other parts of Jax will have varying commute times, of course. I've been to Brooklyn, and trust me...we're rank amateurs compared to Brooklyn in terms of traffic!

Hope that helps!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
One drive down Blanding blvd with a quick stop at the Orange Park Mall made me decide to look elsewhere in the Jacksonville area to live.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:32 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan34 View Post
Thanks
Do you have your job lined up already? Where will you work?

There are more to choose from in Argyle and Oakleaf in that price range. Fleming Island is a bit too far if you're working downtown (Shands) or going to Mayo.

There's Harbor Island in Fleming Island and houses East of 17 in Fleming Island that should be affordable, also. I don't know your specialty or your budget, but Eagle Harbor, Fleming Island Plantation and Eagle Landing (Oakleaf) have CDD fees (+ potential/minimal HOA fees, too).

Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
I have to disagree with one point - commuting from Brooklyn into Manhattan is a better commute than commuting from Orange Park into Jacksonville.

Consider the commute from OP into Jax on a scale of commuting from Jersey or Long Island - it's nowhere near as easy as from Brooklyn to NYC.

Also, the general feel of living in OP is going to be like being as far removed from the city as if you lived in Long Island. If that's okay with you, great, but if you thought you'd be physically close enough to the center of Jax to not feel "far away" from the city, you'll be disappointed. Orange Park/Fleming Island/etc. is very suburban.....more similar to deep Jersey or Upstate New York .

But yes, you can find a nice house in a nice neighborhood for $300k range anywhere in the vicinity - Orange Park, Jacksonville, St. John's County, etc. - you will have a large range of choices in that price range.

Compared to Brooklyn, crime is going to be a breeze anywhere here - your shoulders will relax considerably .

If you know where you'll be working, we can certainly make recommendations for additional neighborhoods to consider, as Titanium said.

(I'm here from NYC, BTW )

Old 10-06-2007, 11:45 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
You posted on the local Jax forum page, and you'll get plenty of feedback there (I already posted and so did others).

I'd say to let everyone know what kind of lifestyle you're looking for and that can help us to recommend whether OP is the right fit for you or not.

The South is a world away from Syracuse or Brooklyn, so the more detail you can provide, the better your feedback will be .

Old 10-07-2007, 06:43 AM

9 posts, read 43,033 times
like riveree said if u have lived in brooklyn or just ny period. U will be pleasantly surprised with the traffic and crime . I lived there and jacksonville and philly and nj . Orange park is far far far far better. If u are in health care there is orange park hospital me n my mom have both worked there and i had my son there . Great clean hospital . And there are a few nursing homes there as well. for 300k u will be living around some doctors. The cost of living is extremly cheaper to live in orange park . Orange park is a prodominantly mixed neighborhood. white, black, asian , hispanic, indian . Eagle harbor n that area are rediculously nice there. My doc lived there and so did the chief fireman . My husband and i are in the army but i always visit home.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Smile Thanks very much everyone

Thanks to all of you that replied. I will be scoping out the area in a few weeks. By the sounds of it Orange Park will be a nice relief from direct city life if I decide to live there. I have also lived in the suburbs and have found it to be much more relaxing than the rush in the city.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:56 PM

Just trying to get some possible outside perspectives on the area. Also I am somewhat new to this site so I didn't know at first that I could narrow down my search by picking specific cities.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:51 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,043 times
I used to live in Orange Park, Florida a few years ago and it is a very nice place to live and I think a good place to raise kids although mine was already grown by the time I moved there. Blanding Boulevard is pretty busy, but that would be about the worst traffic you would encounter in that area. I'd definitely move back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville