Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Wow, there are concurrent threads for redneck and tolerant. That doesn't look very forward thinking.

I went there on a JAX/Panhandle/ATL vacation several years ago. I stayed in Baymeadows. I had a rental car. On the map, the layout looks really cool, with beaches on both sides of the Dames Inlet ... Fernandina to the north, and Neptune/Jax/Ponte Vedra to the south. The only inland neighborhood I liked was Mandarin, and San Marco was kind of established. The downtown looked sleepy and there were many empty lots.

People were really, really friendly. Mostly, I ran into northern transplants among the non-natives. I wound up meeting two people from San Diego, of all places, probably because of the military thing, at a store and at a car dealership. They said that it was nice living there, but it was really "Southern," verbatim. They also warned about the Westside being hit and miss.

At any rate, I couldn't see JAX as having any kind of quantity of "discerning" singles. I would imagine it's a place people move to and move out of, for that reason. Am I about right? A big sprawling southern city in coastal Florida with a smaller white collar base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Most cities have that revolving door effect, it really depends on the seeds that get planted. The Navy is probably the biggest family importer for Duval. Orlando seems. To get the areas college kids especially the two schools in Tallahassee. UF kids mostly move to Jax or orlando evenly. It depends on the jobs for them I guess.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:06 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Wow, there are concurrent threads for redneck and tolerant. That doesn't look very forward thinking.

I went there on a JAX/Panhandle/ATL vacation several years ago. I stayed in Baymeadows. I had a rental car. On the map, the layout looks really cool, with beaches on both sides of the Dames Inlet ... Fernandina to the north, and Neptune/Jax/Ponte Vedra to the south. The only inland neighborhood I liked was Mandarin, and San Marco was kind of established. The downtown looked sleepy and there were many empty lots.

People were really, really friendly. Mostly, I ran into northern transplants among the non-natives. I wound up meeting two people from San Diego, of all places, probably because of the military thing, at a store and at a car dealership. They said that it was nice living there, but it was really "Southern," verbatim. They also warned about the Westside being hit and miss.

At any rate, I couldn't see JAX as having any kind of quantity of "discerning" singles. I would imagine it's a place people move to and move out of, for that reason. Am I about right? A big sprawling southern city in coastal Florida with a smaller white collar base?
Young professionals flock to a few hubs...not Mandarin, that's for sure.

- The Beaches
- Downtown & the historic neighborhoods surronding it (Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, & San Marco)
- St. Johns Towncenter

That's where the critical mass is, anywhere else....not so much.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Young professionals flock to a few hubs...not Mandarin, that's for sure.

- The Beaches
- Downtown & the historic neighborhoods surronding it (Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, & San Marco)
- St. Johns Towncenter

That's where the critical mass is, anywhere else....not so much.
Is "Five Points" one of those neighborhoods? I remember a nice Starbucks there.
Whereabouts is St. John's Towncenter?

But lastly, do those who transplant from another area find it ok, or is being single there more doable for regional folks who wouldn't be caught in any "culture shock?"

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
Five Points is a small commercial district in Riverside.

SJTC is a big mall shopping complex with restaurants in the burbs.

I don't really think it matters where you are from when trying to meet people. It's all English.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Is "Five Points" one of those neighborhoods? I remember a nice Starbucks there.
Whereabouts is St. John's Towncenter?

But lastly, do those who transplant from another area find it ok, or is being single there more doable for regional folks who wouldn't be caught in any "culture shock?"

Thanks.
I can't speak to how transplants should feel, but I think it's pretty much ok for young professionals. This city will never be confused with the largest and most urban areas, but for a little over 1 million pop in the metro area it's what you'd expect. I think the hardest issue to adapt to is that everything is spread out. The aforementioned hubs for young professionals (Jax Beach, urban core, and SJTC) would make for a more than decent and lively district if they were close to each other. Instead, you have to pick and choose, and these distinct neighborhoods lends itself to each one being a bit too insular.

For what it's worth, I returned to Jax after a handful of years away at a major college town and a major city, and while Jax was a major adjustment the transition was much better than expected.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Quote:
I certainly don't want to start another thread on "redneck" or "intolerant" but I gotta tell ya, if you follow these threads and come away with the impression that every opinion reflects the truth about Jacksonville and that the whole population is not "very forward thinking" then you are not that smart. Topics like these bring out the worst in some people who hide behind their screen names to spew their hate speech and poison. The funny thing is I have noticed that most of those people don't even live in Jacksonville and by now we have gotten to know who they are.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I certainly don't want to start another thread on "redneck" or "intolerant" but I gotta tell ya, if you follow these threads and come away with the impression that every opinion reflects the truth about Jacksonville and that the whole population is not "very forward thinking" then you are not that smart. Topics like these bring out the worst in some people who hide behind their screen names to spew their hate speech and poison. The funny thing is I have noticed that most of those people don't even live in Jacksonville and by now we have gotten to know who they are.
Well stated!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Well stated!

Ditto

Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
yup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville