Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM

17 posts, read 37,811 times

Advertisements

Anybody who lives in or knows about the community Murabella, can you please share some information, please? Is it a safe place, how far is the commute from Jax and beaches, are there streetlights in and around the neighborhood? Also, how close is the hospital and animal hospital? My husband and I plan to relocate to Florida, preferably to St. John's county because of good school system. I have an 11 year old son and a 9 year old daughter, two dogs a Lab mix, and Pembroke Welsh corgi/chi mix. We like Nocatee but won't be able to afford it. Murabella is in second place. We live in a cookie cutter type neighborhood now and pretty close to our neighbors. We really need space separating us from our neighbors now. We this will not be a starter home for us that we're looking for, it will be our forever home (until kids are all grown up and out of house..lol!). So, we'll be there for awhile. So, we won't be selling our home anytime soon.
If anyone can recommend another neighborhood to check out please let me know. We plan on visiting Jacksonville in March! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 04:24 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,723 times
Murabella is near World Golf Village - maybe 45 into town and 20 minutes to the beach. There are 2 hospitals somewhat close by - one in St Augustine and one up I-95 - probably both about 20 min. There is at least one vet that I know that's very close by. We looked in Murabella, but we noticed a lot of foreclosures and a ton of open lots and not a lot of construction, but maybe that has changed.

Considering that Murabella is in your price range, I'm surprised that you say you can't afford Nocatee. There is a big range in prices and home types. It's much closer to the beach and Jacksonville and the elem schools are ranked better than the one Murabella is zoned for and there will be a K-8 school opening in Nocatee in a couple years. Tons of kids and a very family-friendly atmosphere...and the amenities are second to none!

I guess I'm partial, but you definitely should take another look at Nocatee!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Well, I will be impartial since I don't live in either. To suggest that elementary schools in Nocatee are that much superior to schools elsewhere in SJC is a bit of a stretch. All SJC schools have excellent rankings.

If you can afford a home in Murabella, you might not be able to afford one in Nocatee which is a higher-priced community. And rightly so, since Nocatee was billed as a more exclusive community with more amenities, etc until the housing crash and then the development in Nocatee came to a standstill. But you need to look at both and not be sold by people who live in one community or the other.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,984 times
I live in neither and have a daughter who is a teacher in Tampa who would jump for any school in the St Johns County area as we are ranked No 1 in the state and there really is not much to chose between any of them.
I am not a great fan of Nocatee as I think it will be many years before it is finished and the annual overheads are far too high for what is offered.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks Hlauburn! We're not gonna rule out Nocatee. We still plan to go there and check it out. The place looks amazing from what I've seen on the Internet and on You Tube. I did read somewhere that they're opening up another phase soon..called Brookwood. But, it's at the southern part of Duval county. Just want to keep our options open and see what else is out there.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Thx as well cricketfan and Peter the Brit for both of your input. My husband is a teacher he's currently teaching high school now and he also taught in middle school..(history & math). So, for him he would love to teach in any school in St. John's county. I'm a CNA, medical assistant, soon to be a surg tech....so, hopefully finding a job in any of those areas won't be much of a problem. I've also looked around the Clay county areas as well.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,984 times
Husband needs to look at https://pats.stjohns.k12.fl.us/
Very difficult to get in the St Johns system as a great demand by teachers to teach here
I was told from a very reliable source they are now mainly recruiting new low end of the pay scale teachers as few expereinced techers are moving on
Can I suggest that you secure employment first before moving unless you have a lot of svaings and patience
The medical world is not as difficult to get work in

Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM

213 posts, read 315,084 times
I'm afraid you might be disappointed in Murabella once you come see it. The upside of Murabella is its proximity to the interstate and Publix. I was looking at a house in WGV today and even the realtor told me Murabella would be the least likely to fit my needs. IMO, Murabella is very cookie cutter. Mow it all down and throw as many houses as you can get in the space. Interestingly enough, it also has the highest CDD fees of WGV communities I looked at. I personally liked the feel of The King and Bear, very woodsy. Heritage Landing is similar to Murabella but the amenities are nicer and the CDD is lower. However, it is in the back of WGV. If an extra 10 minutes to the highway is going to ruin your day it probably wouldn't be for you.

I love the schools in the WGV area. I have an elementary and a middle schooler. They both love their schools and I do as well. I know you will get a better feel when you visit for what fits your family. These are just my observations. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Thx masonsmom4 for your input as well. Yes, it does depend on what will fit us and our lifestyle. And since we're not there in the state of Florida it's hard to get a good idea of what each community is like. But, it doesn't hurt to ask for info and opinions from those that live in or around the area.

Peter the Brit,
we plan to find and secure a job first before moving out there. Thx for the link I will send it to hubby. I don't think he minds working in the Duval county school system, he has worked in really bad places before..Tucson unified school district and NYC schools..as well as in alternative n turn around schools.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Anyone who says that Murabella is cookie-cutter doesn't know the definition of cookie-cutter. I have friends who live there and visit them frequently. There are 6 or 7 different builders in the community and they all offer various sized houses, plans and prices.

Again I would remind you to do your own homework and don't be swayed by people who think that their opinions should be your own. Trust the realtor, Peter the Brit. He is the local savant on SJC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville