Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM

199 posts, read 468,795 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any luck enrolling a child who does not meet the September 1st cut off into Kindergarten? Our son who is 3 now will miss the cut off by a few days when it comes time to enroll him in a couple years. I know it's kind of far out, but I was wondering if anyone knows a way around this?

We have him enrolled in a pre-k program now and will probably do the same next year, but it's going to be a big disappointment if he won't be able to enroll in kindergarten in 2014. Here in NY the age cutoff is later in the year.

From what we heard, our only options are to either put him in private school for two years or hold him back. I guess home school could be an option also, but I don't think we are up to that.

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,585 times
I know someone who has opted to put her daughter in private preschool this year because SJC schools absolutely refused to let her into K because she did not make the cutoff. I think the options you mentioned are about it.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but do you feel like it might be a little early to determine whether or not he really needs to be pushed through to Kindergarten? You said "it's going to be a big disappointment", but to who? I know the cutoff is arbitrary and differs from state to state, but there's a lot to be said about kids having an extra year to just be a kid! He'll be in school for at least 13+ years, so I don't understand the rush (unless maybe it's financial). When you talk to parents who have "red-shirted" their kids, you never seem to meet one who regrets doing it, but parents who regret NOT doing it are easy to find.

Another thing to consider...not sure when you plan to move, but 4 year old pre-K is free in FL. But they have to be 4 (and not yet 5) by the Sept cutoff. Might be something to consider.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 PM

199 posts, read 468,795 times
I guess "big disappointment" wasn't the best way to put it. I thought about dropping it, but left it in my post.

We started him in pre-k this year because he meets the requirements in NY. He enjoys it a lot. We didn't rush him into anything and we aren't pushing him through to Kindergarten. Isn't it just natural to start your children in school when the regulations state they can start unless there is some reason not to?

I guess NY Public schools are behind on the trend to move the date to Sep 1. The requirement in NY is still 5 by Dec 31st of the school year they start. I guess he will have to wait.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
I thought it was Sept. 15?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:41 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
I guess "big disappointment" wasn't the best way to put it. I thought about dropping it, but left it in my post.

We started him in pre-k this year because he meets the requirements in NY. He enjoys it a lot. We didn't rush him into anything and we aren't pushing him through to Kindergarten. Isn't it just natural to start your children in school when the regulations state they can start unless there is some reason not to?

I guess NY Public schools are behind on the trend to move the date to Sep 1. The requirement in NY is still 5 by Dec 31st of the school year they start. I guess he will have to wait.
I was questioning your choice to put him in PreK. My daughter is also 3 and she goes to preK too. (I believe in the idea of "easing" them into school - start with something like 2 half days and moving up a little more each year so they are prepared for the full day, 5 day a week Kindergarten.)

As far as kindergarten, of course the choice is yours to make, and only you know what's best for your kid, but you asked about ways to get around the regulations, so that in itself is a reason not to.

I don't know if I would say it's "natural" to start them - I mean, how natural is some random cut off day that is different from state to state? And every kid is different. There is a big difference between a 5 year old and a 6 year old, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

I guess my point was that from my experience, they leave no "wiggle room" when it comes to the cut off date. But since they do offer the free PreK-4 that he would qualify for, I wouldn't worry too much about the idea of trying to get him in when he really didn't make the cut off day to begin with. There's a lot to be said for being one of the older, bigger, more mature kids in the class, especially for boys.

By the way, my friend has decided to send her daughter to private school for K and 1st and then she go into the public school in 2nd grade. It's a lot of money, but they felt like it was the best option for their daughter. So I guess that's a choice too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I thought it was Sept. 15?

A child must be 5 years old on or before September 1st to start K in Florida.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
I would actually recommend letting it go for another year.

We have a daughter that is in Kindergarten this year, and Kindergarten is a whole lot different than it was when we were kids. Basically, the things children previously learned in First grade are now the Kindergarten curriculum. We're talking reading, creative writing, basic math, etc. Quite frankly, our 5 year old has had a bit of a rough time adjusting, especially on the social level, and she was in a great Pre-K program. Her birthday is at the end of November, so if she's had this much trouble I can't imagine how tough it would be on an even younger child.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 AM

5,170 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I would actually recommend letting it go for another year.

We have a daughter that is in Kindergarten this year, and Kindergarten is a whole lot different than it was when we were kids. Basically, the things children previously learned in First grade are now the Kindergarten curriculum. We're talking reading, creative writing, basic math, etc. Quite frankly, our 5 year old has had a bit of a rough time adjusting, especially on the social level, and she was in a great Pre-K program. Her birthday is at the end of November, so if she's had this much trouble I can't imagine how tough it would be on an even younger child.
We are in the exact same boat with our daughters. They have been home with my wife since birth and while they have experienced a lot more than children their age it now seems in today's day and age they have missed out in some ways by not attending daycare. The extra year delay for them will help in our case as socially and maturity wise they are not ready. They are extremely tall for their age so they will be somewhat dominate through their school years which is not a bad thing either.

It is truly eyeopening for me to see what our friends children are bringing with them from kindergarden......flash cards, homework assignments, writing lessons and links for computer lessons. I had a pretty decent education but from what I see today the first grade curriculum has been introduced into first grade.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We are in the exact same boat with our daughters. They have been home with my wife since birth and while they have experienced a lot more than children their age it now seems in today's day and age they have missed out in some ways by not attending daycare. The extra year delay for them will help in our case as socially and maturity wise they are not ready. They are extremely tall for their age so they will be somewhat dominate through their school years which is not a bad thing either.

It is truly eyeopening for me to see what our friends children are bringing with them from kindergarden......flash cards, homework assignments, writing lessons and links for computer lessons. I had a pretty decent education but from what I see today the first grade curriculum has been introduced into first grade.
On average, my Kindergartener spends roughly 1 hour per evening on homework of some sort or another. In comparison, her sister that is in second grade spends about 1 hour and 15 minutes on homework. Elementary school isn't what it used to be

Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
yea, I was floored when my daughter had spelling tests after Christmas of Kindergarden. Think it is a bit silly, but its about the test I am sure.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 AM

My biggest issues with the Kindergarten curriculum are the sight words and the "magic line" writing assignments. It seems counterintuitive to expect a 5 year old to memorize words rather than teaching them to put the letter sounds together in order to form words, and the idea of making a dot to replace letters that aren't known rather than trying to figure out what the letter sound should be is pretty much the same. I tend to encourage my daughter to sound it out rather than just memorize words, which may be against the curriculum but seems to work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville