Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:30 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
It'll be a couple years. But, it will happen. The ship yards will start development first, if I had to bet on it.

The next few years Downtown will have a LOT of big projects moving forward.
you've been saying this since I first came on here in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 AM

232 posts, read 574,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
but he really means it this time.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:32 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOG View Post
Everyone in Jax has said this for YEARS. Talk is cheap. Talk is not going to get Jax moving forward. What's holding it back is not necessarily its closed off, conservative, or biogoted attitude, although it plays a big part, but its lack of entertainment. Example? Look at downtown Savannah, Charleston, Raleigh, or Atlanta. All major metro cities in the deep south that are growing. Why? Because they don't put up barriers to vendors setting up shop downtown and the bar scene is thriving. Whether you drink or not, drinking and entertainment is what brings people to an area and keeps them there. The more nightlife, the more people who come to move and settle down there. They eventually grow out of it though, but stay because they've got roots down now. Jax also has the advantage of a big college, but isn't utilizing it. In south Florida where I live now, we don't have the advantage of a big college in Broward, but are still seeing major growth and progress.

Its really embarrassing he number of cranes they have up down here in both Fort Lauderdale and Miami compared to Jax with all the new construction going on. Apts and condos are going up like crazy. On one block down here, I see more apts going up than in all of Jacksonville.

If it was me as mayor, I would develop the Jax waterfront and Landing off the idea of Riverstreet Savannah. Just set up a bunch of bars and restaurants along the water and watch the revenue come in. What there is downtown now is too spread out to really "explore" for the general public. Just one long strip of stuff... That draws people back downtown, gives hotels, apts, and condos a reason to set up shop, and then draws people to other entertainment further inside of downtown. Its sad that it takes a one time event like One Spark to get people downtown.

When the FBC takes up multiple blocks of downtown realestate and its members are heavily influential, its hard to get zoning laws to set up a proper entertainment district.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
When the FBC takes up multiple blocks of downtown realestate and its members are heavily influential, its hard to get zoning laws to set up a proper entertainment district.
hmmmm, there are 20 on the council.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
hmmmm, there are 20 on the council.
Are you being sarcastic or not..I can't tell. I know when I left in 1999 there were some things that folks were trying to do and pretty much every time they tried things got shot down because of a few city council members who attended the FBC.

I took my sister who still lives in Jacksonville down to the 2nd ave / Broadway area of Nashville with all the bars. While she said its a bit touristy, she said Jacksonville needs something like this.

IMHO, from a young persons perspective, the days of good fun are long passed in Jacksonville.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 AM

there are 20 people on the council, wonder why they aren't voted out.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
But is it really FBC that is holding up growth or is this just an easy cop out??

Old 09-20-2014, 08:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
But is it really FBC that is holding up growth or is this just an easy cop out??
FBC is holding up certain types of growth. (adult late night entertainment and drinking emporiums)
But there are more people than just FBC involved in the overall holdup. So yes, it's an easy cop out.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
FBC is holding up certain types of growth. (adult late night entertainment and drinking emporiums)
But there are more people than just FBC involved in the overall holdup. So yes, it's an easy cop out.

Can't be an easy cop out if members of the city council also belong to the FBC. The FBC used to be a pretty powerful and influential. Not sure about now, but I know it was when I was living there.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:06 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Momentum really first started in 2008/2009.

It takes along time to get a ship turned around.

It's now turned, and heading in the right direction.

The fruit of the labor will be on display starting today (the first development in Brooklyn) and will continue to show for the next several years.

Between the number of businesses moving Downtown, to land deals, to development plans, to the rise of it's surrounding neighbrohoods (which many in the city consider part of the Downtown area) it's literally too much to keep up with. In spite of, not because of, city involvment. Once COJ has a little bit more money to play with, the giant projects will become lubricated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville