Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times

Advertisements

It is not very surprising that crime has diminished in the one square mile of historic Springfield. When you have a community that has to come together to pay for extra police patrols with their own money to rid the streets of crime that sends a pretty strong message that something is wrong. You might as well live in a gated suburban community if you can not get by with the normal police protection.

I think those people living in the parts of Jacksonville where the crime is bad would love to have the means to pay for extra patrols. Maybe instead of forever throwing good money away on the downtown they should try to take back some of the neighborhoods.

Neighborhood group links its police patrol program to a more secure Springfield | jacksonville.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
That "extra" paid patrol highlighted in the article has been in existance on & off for a while, and doesn't have a significant impact at all. I believe, if my memory serves me right, it's about 30 hours per month. When it's active, that is. Many call it a waste of money.

But, continue on with your theory. It is entertaining.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
That "extra" paid patrol highlighted in the article has been in existance on & off for a while, and doesn't have a significant impact at all. I believe, if my memory serves me right, it's about 30 hours per month. When it's active, that is. Many call it a waste of money.

Not my theory.....just posting an informative article about how crime has decreased in Springfield due to an extra presence of police paid for by a community desperately trying to rid themselves of crime.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
if the people of Springfield want to pay for extra police, I see nothing wrong with that. It's a free country.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
There's absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a couple of off duty cops to provide extra patrol services. It's like living in a gated community with part time rent-a-cops on the front gate and driving through the neighborhood. The main problem with fsu318's post is telling everyone how safe and secure the Springfield area is, but only because they pay for extra protection.

I guess next they will want to build a wall around Springfield and install a gate, to feel totally secure.

But then I'm in favor of building a wall around Springfield. I call that preventable crime control.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 11-28-2012 at 10:55 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM

589 posts, read 850,899 times
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to....

"Serious" crime (ie, murder, rape, aggravated assault, etc) are rare in Downtown. Especially when you consider: (a) There are FAR more face-to-face contacts between individuals Downtown than any other 1x1 sq mile area of Jax. Number of contacts = opprotunities to say "Hello"...or commit a crime. (b) The population involved in the "serious" crimes are not your average, middle-class person. It's your homeless or near-homeless or drug-involved individuals. Those are the vast majority or perps and victims, as always. So your "average" person has little to worry about, other than using common sense.

You are most welcome to verify with JSO if you don't believe me, personally. And don't believe any number of reputable references which agree with me, that I can provide. I work with JSO on various issues, and can give you the Zone 1 Asst Chief's name & contact info if you like. She's nice. : )

Yes, shockingly, I happen to know exactly what I'm talking about. It's a habit of mine.

As far as the Springfield historic dsitrict goes, which is just North of Downtown, it's no secret that the crime rate and types is virtaully identical to that of Riverside or Murray Hill. Ie, yeah, it's there, but nothing to be paranoid about. The same principles apply to these neighborhoods as ddi Downtown. Walkable, dense neighborhoods = more contacts = more opprotunity for a crime. Thus, you get higher numbers. However, if you look at the populations, very, very few involve your "average" middle class (or above) person. Very few. It's also no secret that this neighborhood has an out of date stereotype still held by some people, from the 70's-early 2000's. In the last 12 years or so, it's made gigantic leaps. Hence, the disproportionate amount of positive media coverage.

Shockingly again, yes I know what I'm talking about. A habit that's hard to break.

Let's take a look, shall we, at what residents in this neighborhood are talking about these days: www.myspringfield.org
(Hint: it's not how bad the crime is.)

More incoherent dribble from FSU813

Here's the real facts.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Anyone with an IQ over 70 can clearly see what part of the City is driving the crime rate.

Last edited by Yac; 12-12-2012 at 07:03 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
More incoherent dribble from FSU813
Be nice to fsu it's not nice to make fun of the delusional or the mentally challenged.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 AM

Nomad, its cute you choose to rely on a notoriously inaccurate mapping & advertising service rather than law enforcement.

JSO has their own crime map. You should check it out. If you're interested in accuracy, that is.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Quote:
I believe, if my memory serves me right, it's about 30 hours per month. When it's active, that is. ....

From the article:

Off-duty patrols cost about $24,000 a year, with the officers making $20 to $25 an hour, and are funded through donations. The officers usually work an extra 12 to 25 hours a week. There is no set time when the patrols occur.
“We don’t want the bad guys to know when we have extra officers around,” said Assistant Chief Michelle Cook. “So the times are random.”

Let's see,... $24,000 per year divided by 22.50 (avg $ per hour) = 1066 hours worked per year. 1066 hours per year divided by 12 months = 89 hours per month worked by off duty officers paid by Springfield residents to help secure their streets? Wait..., that's way more than 30, "when it's active, that is."

Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 PM

They screwed up the numbers.

Same with the crime stats. The stats they mentioned are not from the historic district neighborhood, but from the larger area.

The Times-Union isn't in the running for a Pulitzer, if you know what I'm saying.

Please continue obsessing. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville