Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:30 PM

859 posts, read 3,618,843 times

Advertisements

not sure if it was commonly known here, but FDA regulated that all raw fish (except tuna) must be frozen first. So what you're getting at any sushi restaurant isn't really that far off from each other.
What matters to me with sushi is the source of the fish and the cut, also how well the rice was made. Take a piece top of grade tuna and slap it on a sloppily made rice and soak it in soy sauce is simply not good eats.

like to answer #2 in the original question, where to get stuffs to make your own sushi, in JAX.

Find a good fish market. most of the fish I see behind the counter are fillets, ask if they have any thicker cuts for sushi use. Some true Asian supermarkets (non in JAX) sells packages that are pre-cut into blocks (you slice yourself) or sliced (eat it sashimi style). Either way, once you possess the fish, eat it right away.
But I think a good thick cut of fresh tuna steak can be turned into sushi at home.

Rice is easy to make yourself. Every thing's readily available even at Publix. There are kits to get to make sushi and rolls, pretty straight forward stuff. Main thing is to get the rice just right to your taste. Come to think of it, ask the seafood people at Publix if you can buy the cuts of fish sushi chef next to them uses.

A great sushi restaurant will give you a nice long (over 3")slice of fish that covers up the entire rice with a dab of wasabi inbetween. mmm..sushi cravings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,758 times
I recommend Sushi House in Riverside. I eat there all the time. They have also been rated "BEST BY FOLIO WEEKLY" for numerous years in a row. Plus, you can walk across the street and get some icecream for desert when you are done! And since I work on the Southside, of course, I must suggest Crazy Sushi. I think everyone has eaten there, and yes they are great. The chinese place a frew doors down it excellent also. It is New York Style, so they use brown rice, instead of that yellow crap. Closer to home, I always go to Koi Steakhouse for sushi. It is at the intersection of 9A and Baymeadows Rd, across the street from Native Sun, behind the Walgreens. The ambiance is excellent, and the staff has a great since of humor. I always enjoy a good hibatchi and some sushi from them on a Saturday night.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Jax

108 posts, read 639,166 times
Yo Sushi near Tinseltown is also good....it's in the little shopping plaza on Southside not too far from TGIFridays, etc. They have an amazing "Bubba Roll" with shrimp, cream cheese and almonds.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM
s.c

1 posts, read 2,955 times
Could you me the name of the s.fla allu can eat sushi

Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 PM

9 posts, read 36,558 times
Chinese/Japanese buffet on San Jose/Loretto. Lots of good sushi, all you can eat.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 15,064 times
I order my sushi meat from catalinaop.com
Good prices, and its only worth making an order if you are going to spend $75+ since you have to pay for overnight shipping. Great product too. Sushi grade fish has to be frozen to a certain temperature to kill any parasites the fish might have. So i would be weary of buying it from a local place.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 PM

705 posts, read 1,576,130 times
I started reading this thread and before I knew it, I was out getting sushi. Went to Sushi Cafe in Riverside, next to Starbucks. I found it to be very good.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
Since my earlier post, I have become a big fan of Sekisui. This is the best sushi I've had in Jax, hands down. Better than Crazy Sushi in Tinseltown (still a good spot though) and much better than Sushi Rock in San Marco.

If you love sushi, check out Sekisui in Lakewood. It's the only sushi restaurant I go to anymore:

Sekisui Jacksonville (http://www.sekisuiusa.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout= blog&id=12&Itemid=13 - broken link)

Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM

705 posts, read 1,576,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
I recommend Sushi House in Riverside. I eat there all the time. They have also been rated "BEST BY FOLIO WEEKLY" for numerous years in a row. Plus, you can walk across the street and get some icecream for desert when you are done!
gradco2004,

I tried to look up Sushi House on Folio Weekly's website for the address. After doing so it appears to me you may have been talking about Sushi Cafe, not Sushi House. Sushi Cafe was their Best of Jax for 2007. I didn't even see Sushi House listed under Riverside/Southside restaurants. Sushi Cafe is at 2025 Riverside Ave. Sushi House is at 1173 Edgewood Ave. S. Can you confirm which one you are referring to?

Also, we went to Sake House (824 Lomax St) in Riverside last night and it was very good. I liked it better than Sushi Cafe.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 12,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
I always go to Koi Steakhouse for sushi. It is at the intersection of 9A and Baymeadows Rd
Unfortunately, Koi closed down. Man they had some good lunch plates.

As for big chains, Kan Ki's headquarters on San Jose churnes out some good sushi. I like them as much as Crazy sushi. And the new Wasabi at Town Center (not Southside) seems to have a different taste to their sushi ingredients than usual, some like them more, others don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville