Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,873,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwebb49 View Post
Gypsy Cab Company is fine. I personally like O'Steens more but that's just a personal choice, as I love their broiled seafood platter and Minorcan Chowder. Another good place I like to go eat at is Playa Chac Mool on the island, for some really good authentic Mexican cuisine.
We almost went to the Gypsy Cab Co but I looked at the menu and it's a bit out there for my taste.

We haven't tried Osteens yet. Everytime I'd heard about it (until your post) only talked about their fried shrimp and fried whatever. Personally, I don't care for fried seafood (except calamari). So they do broiled seafood as well? I may have to give it a try.

I'm not against trying places I've not gone, I'm just being honest about the way I feel about the many places I've eaten in the Old Town area. In fact, there's an Irish Pub we've eaten at a few times which makes a good burger. I can't remember the name off the top of my head (I always find it in Yelp when I'm down there looking for it). We also enjoy Cruisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Interesting. Personally, I think the food at 7 Bridges is way over-priced and not very good. I don't drink beer so I can't speak about that.

Ragtime has gotten expensive but I've not had a bad meal there.

If we all agreed with everything it would be a boring world...
We basically do all of these places for lunch. I think the lunches at 7 Bridges are reasonably priced. In fact - I think the lunches at almost all of these places are reasonably priced. The only issue is whether they're any good.

I don't drink beer either. But my husband does. There's a fair amount of good local beer here these days (but there was an ok amount 10 years ago). Robyn

Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We love the Gypsy Cab Co. although it is just over the bridge from downtown, have not been in a few years.

Several years ago after spending an afternoon at the beach with several couples and not really eating to much we cleaned up and were told we were going to this fantastic restaurant.......it was the Raintree. We are not big eaters.........we left there starving. The portions although they looked exquisite were so small. My wife and I still recall that evening and how we snuck away to the local 7-11 for ice cream before we joined everyone for drinks

We are so reluctant to recommend restaurants as sometimes they can change in quality of services so fast!

I think a lot of people are swayed by 5 star ratings, location, atmosphere and price. They don't make a meal superb. I have had so many memorable meals at the smallest of restaurants tucked away and off the beaten path.
We've been to Gypsy Cab Company over the years. Sometimes it's good - sometimes it's bad - sometimes it's indifferent. It is close to the Alligator Farm . OTOH - with that stupid draw bridge - you can often have a heck of a time making the left to get there - and the left going out on the way to the Alligator Farm. Robyn

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwebb49 View Post
Gypsy Cab Company is fine. I personally like O'Steens more but that's just a personal choice, as I love their broiled seafood platter and Minorcan Chowder. Another good place I like to go eat at is Playa Chac Mool on the island, for some really good authentic Mexican cuisine.
We only went to O'Steens once. The waiting outside for a table for 30 minutes in the heat was - well let's just say the food wasn't worth the sweat and the sunburn. Some restaurants look at not taking reservations as a badge of honor. When I see a restaurant doing that - I pretty much put it in the same category as a Waffle House.

I've never been to Playa Chac Mool. Robyn

Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM

78 posts, read 242,362 times
We've had the same problem with St. Augustine restaurants. Our go to used to be A1A, but they've gone downhill. However.. do yourself a favor and cross the bridge and go to Gas Full Service. It's a tiny place on the right, literally immediately after the bridge. It looks like a dive, but the food is fantastic. They make everything in house, and use all locally sourced ingredients, most of which are organic... but their prices are not exorbitant. Two of us usually share an app, have two entrees, and take a dessert home, for under $40.

Or, we'll just get fries at French Fry Heaven, and then a popsicle at The Hyppo

Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,873,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnic View Post
We've had the same problem with St. Augustine restaurants. Our go to used to be A1A, but they've gone downhill. However.. do yourself a favor and cross the bridge and go to Gas Full Service. It's a tiny place on the right, literally immediately after the bridge. It looks like a dive, but the food is fantastic. They make everything in house, and use all locally sourced ingredients, most of which are organic... but their prices are not exorbitant. Two of us usually share an app, have two entrees, and take a dessert home, for under $40.

Or, we'll just get fries at French Fry Heaven, and then a popsicle at The Hyppo
What kind of food do they have there? If it's something I eat I have no problem trying places out.

I also keep meaning to try the popsicles there. Just never get around to doing it.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 AM

232 posts, read 570,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
What kind of food do they have there? If it's something I eat I have no problem trying places out.

I also keep meaning to try the popsicles there. Just never get around to doing it.
I always get a burger when I go to Gas, they are reasonably priced, and taste fantastic.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 AM

448 posts, read 824,713 times
Gas Full Service restaurant is fantastic. The only thing it really needs is a selection of some good craft beers on draft to make it my must go to Hamburger place.
The only complaint I have with Gas is the auto parking situation, so I usually just ride my bike down here and that's taken care of.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 AM

725 posts, read 2,560,906 times
We used to eat at the Bunnery. It's right on the main walking street, its good. I ordered the chicken salad. The salad had walnuts in it, tasted fresh and it was served on a croissant with chips on the side. For those people interested in fried food, Schooners is for the older crowd. My 90 year old mother loves it. I haven't been in a while tho. As for people suggesting La Pavillion, it gets bad reviews. I've eaten there once and agreed with the reviews. Somebody ordered a beef type crepe, and it was literally hamburger crumbles in a gravy poured over a crepe. We asked the waitress if the cook was French, she said no, German.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,622,146 times
I totally disagree La Pavillion has superb food and appeals to locals who know about real food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville