Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 04:48 PM

39 posts, read 198,378 times

Advertisements

I am still finding out about jacksonville. Now, if I am working on south side near university but wanting to live close to FCCJ north campus around Capper road in the north, is that going to be a hellish commute on I95 if i am leaving for work to travel to southside around 6 am? Google earth says its a 16 mile drive about 20mins, but that does not take into account traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 05:10 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,106,019 times
floridaexchange

You aren't going to run into a lot of traffic at 6 am
My husband goes from the southside to downtown and when he leaves at 6 am it takes him 20 mins door to door and it is 23 miles

Old 10-21-2007, 05:21 PM

I also dont here see much people talking about Northside, is it run down there or something? It does seem to have cheaper rentals. I've been only to FCCJ campus once but havent drove into any neighborhoods

Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,962,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaexchange View Post
I also dont here see much people talking about Northside, is it run down there or something? It does seem to have cheaper rentals. I've been only to FCCJ campus once but havent drove into any neighborhoods
it is an undesirable area, most of the violent crime in JAX happens there and on the west side.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:38 PM

That's odd, I had a look at the stats on the Sherrif Office website seem to indicate the opposite. Of course I'd expect high crime around the core downtown area and it that way in all big cities but further away dont seem to bad.
Crime Statistics

Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
I agree with Karla, your commute won't be bad at all considering the hour you'll be on the road (you won't be alone on the road at all, but traffic should be quite light).

As APVBGuy said, the Northside has some issues. Rents will be cheaper because it is less desireable.

Will you be attending school at the FCCJ North Campus? Is that why you want to live there?

As for the crime stats, one thing to remember is that the Northside has been one of the least populated parts of Jacksonville, it's also been one of the economically poorer parts of the city. The face of the Northside is beginning to change a bit as developers have moved in and built a lot of new neighborhoods and there is a little bit of new shopping now (the Northside just got their first - and only as far as I know - movie theater).

Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 PM

yes i am hoping to get me some edumacation at FCCJ in the medical field, but hope to work in the southside (gotta pay tha bills in the meantime)...I know its not a huge medical school but its better than Daytona Beach Community College which is more like an oversized kindergarden.

Last edited by floridaexchange; 10-24-2007 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 04:43 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaexchange View Post
It's always funny to hear people talk down on the Northside, like other areas of town are no better. Ooooooo Northside so bad, don't go over there or you'll get shot.. As stated before, Northside is a mixture of hood to filthy rich. Southside and Westside have their rough spots.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 13,524 times
this seems to be an old thread, but I'm new to the forums and it's the first thing I ran into, so gotta comment. I live on the Northside, 5 mins from FCCJ North and 15 mins to University and Arlington Exp. I have a cute, paid for, 3/2 cottage(1250 sf) close to the Trout and Rebault rivers, quiet, with great neighhors. I sold my big, (5000 gsf) expensive, not paid for, executive home in the Southside, last year, with no regrets. Ssssh! Don't tell anyone about the great deals they can find on the Northside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville