Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 PM

14 posts, read 25,240 times

Advertisements

Everyone has been so helpful in answering my previous questions. Thank you so much! I really wouldn't feel comfortable about moving without everyone's help in this forum. I recently became aware of some newspaper articles about Jacksonville covering up a Tuberculosis crisis. In addition, I have also become aware of articles about Dengue Fever, Malaria, and West Nile virus in Jacksonville. I now live in Arizona and we really don't have many mosquitoes or related illnesses really... other than the normal flus and colds and things like that. I also realize that the media exaggerates issues and that reality is probably far more benign than these articles purport. What's the story on this? I love to hike, SCUBA dive, and be outside alot. Is it ALWAYS Deet and should I be afraid? I'm so grateful everyone is out there to realistically comment on issues like these. I wouldn't have a clue otherwise! If anyone ever needs to know about Tucson, Arizona - I'm here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 AM

139 posts, read 409,634 times
I suppose there are 'germaphobes' everywhere. There is nothing here out of the ordinary to worry about in that regard. Sounds like you're outdoor oriented, you'll love it here. Water everywhere and all year to play in/on it. Many areas to hike from easy to extreme and diving is available off shore (with limited visibility) and throughout our network of crystal clear springs.

There is a learning curve to a tropical climate but it's not bad. Most of the time lower (25%) applications of Deet are adequate. Hiking clothes can be treated with permethrin to repel all of our insects. Sawyer® Products - Water Filtration, Insect Repellent, Sunscreens and More and the few reptiles you have to respect are easily recognized. Hydration is more of a concern than critters.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM

20 posts, read 63,733 times
Bobsim, Appreciate the info on Sawyer Products. Will definitely try it. Per the company web site video, the product should help in keeping the pesting flies away. I've experienced during certain times of the year in Virginia Beach the black flies can really hurt when bitten. Although I haven't experienced much of the Northeastern FL beaches, I suspect there are times the black flies can really be a problem. We are planning a move to the Nocatee area; hence the reason for interacting on this forum.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 AM

20 posts, read 63,733 times
After reading this post ref: Tuberculosis, I went to the Florida Health Department web site and there is a direct link titled "Florida Department of Health Tuberculosis Program". I'm not sure what to make of my findings. I'm thinking of moving to St. Johns County, specifically, the Nocatee area so I'll be asking some questions as well.
Here's an except from the Florida DOH. It's taken from a paper written in July 2012.

The mission of the Florida DOH Tuberculosis Program is to eliminate tuberculosis in the state
through administration of a statewide TB program that supports the Florida Tuberculosis System
of Care. The Florida DOH Tuberculosis Program assures coordinated care to persons with active
TB disease, their close contacts and other persons at high risk for latent TB infection (i.e. the
homeless, HIV patients, etc.); assures a system of care is in place to manage complicated TB
patients; provides community and provider training and technical assistance; assures accurate
case reporting; and performs program monitoring and evaluation.
In 2011, DOH provided more than 300,000 educational, screening and treatment services in
communities across the state. During that time, 753 active TB cases were diagnosed, equating to
a rate of four per 100,000 of Florida’s population. Six of these cases (0.8%) were multidrugresistant
TB (i.e. the TB is able to grow and multiply even in the presence of certain drugs, which
would normally kill them). Through the diligent efforts of healthcare professionals, more than
4,500 persons exposed to these cases were evaluated as contacts. These numbers are
consistent with benchmarks for contact investigations. As a result of these evaluations, 54
persons were diagnosed with active TB disease and almost 1,000 were found to have latent TB
infection (LTBI).
Regarding mosquitos borne illnesses, the DOH issues advisories - Florida Arthropod-borne Disease Surveillance Program - Press Releases
I did come across a paper written for 2012 where the various types of mosquito borne illnesses were listed and a count per county. I just cannot find it again; but I do recall the numbers were small for St. Johns County; but were surprised of the number of infected chickens in some of the Northeastern Counties. What also was odd IMO were less cases listed for the southern counties such as Miami-Dade.
I guess the takeaway is one must be aware and take the necessary precautions

Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
You aren't going to see much in the way of biting insects when you're at the beach, it isn't a viable climate for them. As for other areas, depending on the time of year you won't have much problem with them either. That being said, if you decide to walk around the marshes during the spring and summer you'll need some protection, but if you do the typical 'beach in the summertime, hiking in the fall and winter' routine it isn't really an issue at all.

Fair warning, from someone who has visited Arizona frequently if not recently (a good friend used to live in Tucson), the heat in Florida during the summertime is a completely new experience compared to the heat in Arizona. It's humid, it's hot, and the intensity of the sun is a surprise to most. On a good summer day, you can get a blistering sunburn in under 2 hours. I would be far more concerned about these factors and mitigating the effects of dehydration and sunstroke than I would be about insect-borne diseases. On the plus side, sweat doesn't evaporate the way it does in the desert so you know when you're perspiring and you realize that you need to hydrate. On the minus side, going to a crowded public place during the summer exposes you to a miasma of body odor and overpowering deodorant.

All of that being said, I'll take Florida over Arizona any day of the week

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM

14 posts, read 25,240 times
Bobism, Thank you so much for the message, the outdoor information and most of all the inspiration to have fun in Jacksonville! Yes, I love the water and being outside! There is very little water in Tucson! Everyone else's messages make this an exciting move for me once again. Thank you!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,610 times
Mosquitos borne illness is higher in rural areas without a governmental unit spray program paid for through a special tax accessment. it's my understanding that the Jacksonville TB concerns are centered within the homeless population.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by water592 View Post
Everyone has been so helpful in answering my previous questions. Thank you so much! I really wouldn't feel comfortable about moving without everyone's help in this forum. I recently became aware of some newspaper articles about Jacksonville covering up a Tuberculosis crisis. In addition, I have also become aware of articles about Dengue Fever, Malaria, and West Nile virus in Jacksonville. I now live in Arizona and we really don't have many mosquitoes or related illnesses really... other than the normal flus and colds and things like that. I also realize that the media exaggerates issues and that reality is probably far more benign than these articles purport. What's the story on this? I love to hike, SCUBA dive, and be outside alot. Is it ALWAYS Deet and should I be afraid? I'm so grateful everyone is out there to realistically comment on issues like these. I wouldn't have a clue otherwise! If anyone ever needs to know about Tucson, Arizona - I'm here.
The TB thing (which I thought was disgraceful) was something that was discovered in the homeless population that hangs around in small parts of downtown JAX (like Hemming Plaza). To be frank with you - I have avoided the Hemming Plaza area since then. Not that I'm missing much IMO. Only the Main Library (more homeless than books) and the Museum of Contemporary Art (an occasional good exhibition but mediocre or worse most of the time).

Just off the top of my head - we have had some local cases of West Nile virus (more in animals than in people) - but I don't recall anything about Dengue Fever or Malaria (at least not cases that were acquired locally). I live near the water in St. Johns County and am an avid gardener. I like doing other things outside too. We do have mosquito season - and I spray when going outside (use something like Deep Woods Off). I can't tell you how many times - despite the spray - that I've been bitten. But I've lived in Florida for 40+ years - and have never had a problem with any bug bites - except fire ant bites itch a lot - and I've had 2 spider bites that were kind of nasty.

OTOH - you have your biting stuff in Arizona too:

http://www.atomicpestcontrol.com/wp-...-CREATURES.pdf

I'm sure you take common sense precautions to minimize the chances of your coming into contact with nasty critters where you live now - and would do the same if you were to move here. Robyn

Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by water592 View Post
Scurvy has become a severe threat to the entire population of Northeast Florida. The sudden reemergence is being blamed on the grave of Davy Jones being disturbed in St. Augustine by an errant lawn maintenence worker who lost control of a weed eater.

We are all under quarantine and until that is lifted I would stay away from the entire area!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville