Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 AM

139 posts, read 409,500 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, can't make tomorrow. How about next week? I just need a few days notice to be able to arrange my schedule.

No sweat I just had a window open due to the rain, know it's short notice. Hard for me to plan a week ahead and not be surprised....how about we see how it looks around mid-week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwebb49 View Post
The most basic way of "boating" in NE FL. doesn't even require a boat. Juts get an old trck tire inner-tube and float away on the Ichetucknee River @ the Ichetucknee Springs State Park near Ft White, FL. about 90 miles or 1 1/2 hours west of downtown Jacksonville, FL.

Tubing at Ichetucknee Springs State Park Florida - YouTube
Where do they sell "old truck tire inner tubes?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Unfortunately - my husband and I have certain physical limitations that prevent us from doing things we could do 10-15 years ago. We still get outside - but can't deal with a canoe these days. When we could - well our favorite place in Florida that is somewhat close to here was Manatee Springs State Park (places like Sanibel are great but pretty far away - they were much closer when we lived in Miami). And our favorite "local" experience was the St. Mary's River:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...arys_guide.pdf

Which - at least in terms of the part of the river where we were paddling - had a resemblance to a scene out of Deliverance .

We used to be divers too - but the water here is just too cold for me. My favorite place close to Florida was always the Cayman Islands.

Although we can do more than birdwatching - we love the bird habitat we've built around our house. And - this weekend - starting tomorrow - is the Great Backyard Bird Count:

Welcome to GBBC — Great Backyard Bird Count

I do it every year. And you don't have to do it in your backyard. If you're out paddling somewhere - or even in your supermarket parking lot - you can count the birds you see.

Also - if you have young kids - or you're just a "kid at heart" - get involved with Journey North:

Journey North Citizen Science: A Global Study of Wildlife Migration and Seasonal Change

Note that these are both well-funded serious scientific endeavors. They're educational too. Although counting birds may not seem important - it is.

For those of you who like to take pictures - well I've taken a few pictures for Journey North. Although I'm not a serious photographer - I had a couple published on its website - and one was even picked up and published on philly.com. So now I can say I'm a published photographer . Robyn

Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM

448 posts, read 829,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Where do they sell "old truck tire inner tubes?
Just about any used tire dealer you happen to come across or if you prefer "new truck tire inner tubes"go to a new tire dealer or NAPA.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
No sweat I just had a window open due to the rain, know it's short notice. Hard for me to plan a week ahead and not be surprised....how about we see how it looks around mid-week?
That'll work. Shoot me an email Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll keep Friday open for now depending on how the weather looks.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM

66 posts, read 117,863 times
Question about canoeing kayaking: (please don't laugh - I don't live in FL yet) aren't there 'gators in them thare waters?? Do I really want to be in a little kayak in the water with 'gators?

I've also always wondered about the people who swim in the lakes in FL. Isn't it dangerous with the 'gators?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trola2 View Post
Question about canoeing kayaking: (please don't laugh - I don't live in FL yet) aren't there 'gators in them thare waters?? Do I really want to be in a little kayak in the water with 'gators?

I've also always wondered about the people who swim in the lakes in FL. Isn't it dangerous with the 'gators?
Yes, there are, but they arent going to be anywhere where the water isn't calm like where you would be kayaking. They also aren't going to tip your canoe over in an attempt to eat you whole like some terrible movie

Any sort of organized designated area for something like that is typically going to be safe.

Most wildlife wants nothing to do with humans, they are a lot more scared of you then you are of them.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM

66 posts, read 117,863 times
Thank you, Saint Cabbage.
That was what I would have guessed. I'm just a big ole chicken.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trola2 View Post

Actually - your concerns are somewhat reasonable.

Like SaintCabbage said - you're not going to have gators here acting like Moby Dick trying to get at you in a canoe or a kayak.

OTOH - you have to be careful in certain areas at certain times if you're doing any portage. Especially if you're talking about small young children walking in shallow water. Because we do have "incidents" (although they're rare):

Gator Kills Boy, 10 Father Frees Victim But Can`t Save Him - Sun Sentinel

On the third hand - if you check your routes ahead of time - and make sure the water is high enough so you don't have to portage (and who wants to do that anyway - certainly not me!) - you shouldn't have any problems at all. Robyn

Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 AM

139 posts, read 409,500 times
Get Ready...

This is mating season for them and we'll be seeing more stories on the news.

Active alligators make for unease in Florida - US news - Environment | NBC News

It's a short learning curve when one moves to FL to co-exist, most of it is common sense and respect. You need to be aware of small children and pets along waterways and do not feed them. That pretty much covers it, not too big a deal.

Most paddlers will stay out of the creeks during peak activity (dusk to dawn) this time of year and give them the usual wide berth and avoiding nests and/or young. Other than that it's business as usual playing on the water.

We're heading out to paddle today and I'm much more worried about the FL drivers than the critters in the creek!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville