Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:30 AM

139 posts, read 409,500 times

Advertisements

Thought it might be fun to start a thread about the outdoor activities here in North Florida. Going to start with kayak/canoeing, probably the most basic form of boating and without the worries/costs of a trailer and boat registration. I've heard Jacksonville referred to as the river city and the city of bridges, most of us have extremely easy access to a waterway.

OK, stop and watch the video:
Kayaking in Jacksonville... "No Other Place I'd Want To Be - YouTube

I'm hoping that set the mood and got some blood pumping. The Saint Johns and her miles of tributaries offer adventure, discovery and solitude and are so often overlooked. In a more pristine setting the Timucuan Preserve is frantically waving her arms for your attention! We live in boaters heaven.

We have new dealers, a great used market and several quality outfitters who rent paddle craft, if you're the hands on type consider building your own. We had a ball building ours and what a great project it would be for kids to get involved with. Jacksonville is loaded with launch options too...it's almost too easy!

Here's a link to our travels: bobandrobin User Profile | EveryTrail If you live near or on water check out the map - good chance we've paddled by your backyard.

I'll step down and give others a chance to sound off now. Let's hear about your outdoor passion - folks from all over look at this forum, lets brag a bit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
I'll jump in with a recommendation to visit your State Parks. We have dozens of them within easy driving distance, and it is an affordable way to supplement your kids' education while spending a day with the family. We hit Blue Springs two weekends in a row last month to see the Manatees, and the kids (6 and 8) loved it.

We have State Parks with biking trails, walking trails, beaches, lakes, playgrounds, and all sorts of other activities. Check them out.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 AM

448 posts, read 829,002 times
The most basic way of "boating" in NE FL. doesn't even require a boat. Juts get an old trck tire inner-tube and float away on the Ichetucknee River @ the Ichetucknee Springs State Park near Ft White, FL. about 90 miles or 1 1/2 hours west of downtown Jacksonville, FL.

Tubing at Ichetucknee Springs State Park Florida - YouTube

Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Can't imagine living in Jax without a boat of some kind. We sail! There are just so many options. You can sail all the way down into central Florida without ever leaving the (relative) safety of inland water. You can sail up and down the east coast via the inter-coastal waterway. With experience, you can head out into blue water and sail up and down the coast, to the Bahamas, or to destinations further.

We love it! We don't trailer our boat. She sits ready in a slip less than 2 miles from our house for a spontaneous sail. Many times we go out just for an hour or so to watch the sunset.

We are so lucky! We can sail all year round here in Jax in relative comfort. If we aren't on the water, we are thinking about how soon we can get out. I agree!!! Go Outside and Play!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Can't imagine living in Jax without a boat of some kind. We sail! There are just so many options. You can sail all the way down into central Florida without ever leaving the (relative) safety of inland water. You can sail up and down the east coast via the inter-coastal waterway. With experience, you can head out into blue water and sail up and down the coast, to the Bahamas, or to destinations further.

We love it! We don't trailer our boat. She sits ready in a slip less than 2 miles from our house for a spontaneous sail. Many times we go out just for an hour or so to watch the sunset.

We are so lucky! We can sail all year round here in Jax in relative comfort. If we aren't on the water, we are thinking about how soon we can get out. I agree!!! Go Outside and Play!
I learned years ago that there is only one thing better than owning a boat: having a friend that owns a boat.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Bob, I WILL get out with you. My schedule is a little better during the days now. Unfortunately, weekends are kinda eaten up by baseball for my boys. But I can get away during the day during the week. Maybe we can get together one Friday?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
I learned years ago that there is only one thing better than owning a boat: having a friend that owns a boat.
Very true. But that can be dangerous. We went sailing for the first time with a friend. Less than a month later we bought our first boat. We were totally hooked!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Agree with that! in my case it is a father in law that owns a boat.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 AM

139 posts, read 409,500 times
There is one thing better than having a friend with a boat....a friend with horses! No horse people here? This would be a good time to share your favorite riding trails..

Divers? C'mon, gotta be some here. Chime in and share.

Mountain/trail bikers?

Fishermen?

Birdwatchers?

Geocachers?

Sure isn't much posted here about camping or hiking, and this is the best time of year!

JimRom, I have a friend who's daughter was at Blue Springs about two weeks ago and she said there were so many manatees there you could walk on them! We went to the Sebastion River a few weeks ago to see them but they had moved on to other waters, we did see a few but still haven't been able to paddle around a large group. Working on that...

Rick, how about tomorrow? Mid day tides work at Pottsburg Creek. Anybody else interested? There is an outfitter there with rentals available: All Wet Sports Jacksonville's Premier Water Sports Store

Lotsa folks can't get out this time of year because the water's frozen or the snow's too deep! Let's rub a little salt on that wound... We have it good!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post

Rick, how about tomorrow? Mid day tides work at Pottsburg Creek. Anybody else interested? There is an outfitter there with rentals available: All Wet Sports Jacksonville's Premier Water Sports Store
Unfortunately, can't make tomorrow. How about next week? I just need a few days notice to be able to arrange my schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville