Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 AM

203 posts, read 307,794 times

Advertisements

Why is it that so many people want 1 story homes in Florida? Is it that the cooling costs are expensive in a 2 story? I would think you would get more square footage in a 2 story home, no? I don't want to build a 2 story home among a lot of 1 story homes, that would look really silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:28 AM

2,557 posts, read 6,458,738 times
I think you see more 1-story homes in FL, due to the threat of windstorm from hurricanes. I know I'd much rather be closer to the ground when 100+ mph winds are blowing through. LOL

Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 AM

392 posts, read 1,545,511 times
I think cooling costs are a big part of it. Heat rises, and cooling a second floor can be like cooling a second house. However, many houses that appear to be one story actually have a bonus room above the garage.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM

104 posts, read 339,803 times
Don't know if it's true but a contractor once told me that two story homes were a bad idea in Florida because of the soil? Something about the extra weight of a second story puts too much stress on the foundation or something.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,877,867 times
In addition to what pinetreecity has said....Many "senior citizens" want 1 story because they would like to comfortably stay in their homes and mobility on stairs can becomes a huge issue later in life. Builders are trying to market their homes to the largest number of people, so leaving out this buying segment doesn't make sense. Also, if you want a totally block built home, I have been told that the second story is much more expensive to build with block than is the same square footage using block on a 1 story house. I have never heard of the foundation issue that bmf.... has related here, but the premise does make sense. Many homes here are built on sandy soil or former wetlands which have been topped off with harder soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville