Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM

82 posts, read 152,664 times

Advertisements

I would recommend driving a little longer to Palatka and catching the train there. My wife and 4 year old drove there from St. Augustine last year to catch the train southbound to Fort Lauderdale. They left our vehicle in the parking lot. I met them in South Florida, and when we drove back up in our car a few days later to pick up the other vehicle in Palatka, the vehicle was safe and sound.

I had called the Putnam County public transportation people a few days before, and they said there were no parking restrictions in the parking lot at Palatka's small train station. It's a few blocks from the historic center of Palatka. While Palatka is a poorer community, the area did not look rough at all.

The only 2 minor drawbacks is having to arrive at the Palatka station about an hour earlier than you would in Jacksonville, as the Northbound train will arrive in Palatka about an hour before it arrives in Jacksonville, and your train fares may be $5 or $10 more expensive as you'll be on the train for a slightly longer distance.

It would be about an hour to a 75 minute drive from Nocatee to Palatka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:10 AM

20 posts, read 63,241 times
I would recommend you call the station directly to see what type of security they have. Enterprise car rental allows you to drop off a rented car at the station and they come and pick it up. In my case last year, I dropped the car off at 11 PM to catch the train back to NJ and had no problem. They didn't come until the next morning to pick the car up. I'll be doing that again in April.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,473,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwebb49 View Post
The Jacksonville Amtrak station is in a pretty rough neighborhood/area of town. I personally wouldn't park a car there overnight, I'm not even sure if they
have overnight parking available. I would find a long term lot near downtown or at the airport and then take a cab to the Jacksonville Amtrak station.
US1 is in a black part of town, but the side street that leads to the train station no hoodlum has any interesting in walking down that unlit road to do anything. They have 2 trains a day so its not that serious.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:52 PM

4,791 posts, read 5,955,850 times
Reviving this thread as I need to take Amtrak to DC over an upcoming weekend and leave my car, as my earlier answer to this post I have dropped people off or picked up but never left a car.

Any insight on leaving a car for few days would be helpful!

Old 01-06-2023, 08:11 AM

6,414 posts, read 1,385,581 times
Next time I come down to a game like the Gator Bowl in Jax, we will be takin the train! There were tons of people on I-95 Southbound going to the all the games. It took over 6 hours to drive a three hour drive. Next time it's the train from Charleston, SC to Jax, FL.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:33 AM

46 posts, read 58,449 times
When is SC going to widen I-95??? The place is a bottleneck on the busiest road in the country.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:24 AM

6,414 posts, read 1,385,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by URYwood View Post
When is SC going to widen I-95??? The place is a bottleneck on the busiest road in the country.
I don't know, our roads are terrible compared to North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, and Florida. I will check on that for you, but it's always a pleasure to drive into the smooth roads in North Carolina entering on I-95.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:29 AM

4,791 posts, read 5,955,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Next time I come down to a game like the Gator Bowl in Jax, we will be takin the train! There were tons of people on I-95 Southbound going to the all the games. It took over 6 hours to drive a three hour drive. Next time it's the train from Charleston, SC to Jax, FL.
It is a short taxi or Uber drive to the stadium from the Amtrak Station. You came through at a bad time of the year as that part of 95 in SC is crazy busy and slow around the holidays. Once you hit 95 in Georgia it becomes like NASCAR with everyone hitting that widened section.

I am still looking to hear from someone about overnight parking in Jax at the Amtrak Station!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville