Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,571 times

Advertisements

Hey, and thanks for reading!

My significant other and I have recently moved to Jacksonville for work. Although we did as much looking around as possible before coming down, the offer required us to move rather quickly, so we are currently waiting in an extended stay hotel while we search for more permanent accommodations. However, despite no small amount of research, we are still finding it very difficult to locate a place to live that is both affordable and low on crime. Any advice from the current residents would be a great help!

We are looking for something at or below $1200 a month (renting), though preferably lower. As for the type of home, we realize we will probably be renting an apartment, condo, or townhouse, with townhouses being preferred over the other two types. We have no children, so school zones don't matter. Our top priority is safety; we would like to be able to walk around outside at night, not worry about people breaking into our cars, etc. Proximity to shopping locations doesn't matter quite so much, though it would be nice to have grocery stores and such within at least fifteen minutes' drive. I have also heard that rush hour traffic is much smoother if you live on the south end of Jacksonville driving north; if anyone could verify or deny this, it would be a big help!

If anyone could point us to some specific zip codes / neighborhoods that are safe and meet our price range, we would really appreciate it! (Or even better, the names of some apartment/condo/townhouse communities that might have rooms available.) Thanks again in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,804 times
Probably a gated retirement community under watch of 24 hour guard. Barbwire fencing and moat may be items to look for too. Of course, this would have to be waaay out. Maybe Green Cove Springs, Yulee, or Middleburg - just look for few people and lots of cows. But be careful....some cows may make you feel uncomfortable.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 AM

I know there's a lot of irony in that post, but being an out-of-towner, I don't know why. Is it that there really just are no safe places anywhere in Jacksonville, and the request seems so fantastical that it brings out sarcasm? Or was my rent price too low?

I know that any place will have some amount of crime, but I would like to at least be able to walk from my car to my room without worry when I arrive home after dark. I come from Huntsville, AL, population of 160,000 and can walk around at night even in the main parts of the city without too much worry, so I'm just looking for some tiny little corner of Jacksonville where I can do the same. I'm sorry if that may seem like an outrageous request.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM

150 posts, read 152,236 times
I live in Atlanta now, but I am from Jacksonville. I dont know the cost of living that well as far as searching for affordable homes but I can pinpoint you in the right direction for locations of the city to consider. You need to factor in your work location as Jacksonville can put a burden on your monthly gas bill if you're not strategic with selecting your neighborhoods.

First off I would recommend the east arlington area (from the ft caroline area eastward towards the intracoastal). Relatively low crime (you wont escape crime anywhere).

Southside/Gate pkwy/Kernan/Hodges/San Pablo

The beaches: Jax Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach

Mandarin: Old St Augustine Road, San Jose Blvd all the way to Julington Creek Area

Orange Park: Fleming Island Area

Riverside...

Remember location location location!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM

150 posts, read 152,236 times
And btw... I have a lot of family in Huntsville, AL

Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM

487 posts, read 748,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHutchinson View Post
I know there's a lot of irony in that post, but being an out-of-towner, I don't know why. Is it that there really just are no safe places anywhere in Jacksonville, and the request seems so fantastical that it brings out sarcasm? Or was my rent price too low?

I know that any place will have some amount of crime, but I would like to at least be able to walk from my car to my room without worry when I arrive home after dark. I come from Huntsville, AL, population of 160,000 and can walk around at night even in the main parts of the city without too much worry, so I'm just looking for some tiny little corner of Jacksonville where I can do the same. I'm sorry if that may seem like an outrageous request.
I'm glad you asked the question... Like you, I'm not from around Jacksonville, and was looking at your post in hopes of a helpful answer. Unfortunately, this person was intent on NOT helping a person out, and from the snarky post, I can't quite figure out which way to take it either.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHutchinson View Post

My point was the opposite - that the vast majority of Jacksonville is just fine, with no unusual safety concerns.

You can't really go by zipcode, as some of the most desirable areas and pretty crumby areas share the same zipcodes.

I'll post a map later that specifically identifies areas your average, middle-class person would want to avoid.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 AM

rselah25: Thanks for your help! I am currently checking out those neighborhoods and comparing them to our work locations as you suggested. I definitely appreciate it! (And fancy running into someone else who knows people in Huntsville, haha! )

fsu813: Thank you for clarifying. You're actually the first person I've spoken to (residents and non-residents alike) who has that opinion of Jacksonville, so it's a refreshing thing to hear. A map outlining which areas to avoid would be great!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 AM

You may also find www.metrojacksonville.com a good resource for information. It has a forum similar to this one, with a wider variety of perspectives. : )

I'll post a map this evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville