Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM

14 posts, read 71,267 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just registered today & cannot find where to post a question! I did however find how to search for other's questions. I am needing info on St. John's County cities for relocating. Anyone wanna direct me to a NEW THREAD button?? lol thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM

44 posts, read 149,041 times
I was looking online, and I saw that there are at least three cigar shops in St. Augustine.

Do any of them carry pipe tobacco? Might there be a pipe smokers club in the area, too?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
Oldest City Pipe Society https://www.facebook.com/groups/olde...ref=ts&fref=ts
Places to purchase pipe tobacco: St. Augustine Tobacco Co., St. Jorge Tobacco, Time Warp Smoke Shop

Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 AM

44 posts, read 149,041 times
Thank you, SSclulow !

Old 05-06-2013, 05:09 AM

18 posts, read 36,679 times
Boilerman, we moved here with our 6 year old in January, and we think it is great here! We live on the island, and can walk to the beach in 10 minutes, ride our bikes to the downtown in 20, and RB Hunt is a great elementary school.

Yesterday, we went to church, then went downtown and had some great Greek food then took a bike ride where we helped a turtle off the road, saw 3 wading birds, and went to a skateboarding park with a playground.

My daughter has been able to do horseback riding, I want to learn how to Stand up paddleboard, and my husband wants to learn how to kite surf.

We have driven an hour and a half and watched manatees in crystal blue water. Driven 20 minutes and taken a free ferry to a 500 year old Spanish fort. And biked 20 minutes and rested on a bench in the oldest outdoor public space in the

Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
Welcome to paradise, Sarojane. Good to hear that you are loving your new community.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 10,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarojane View Post
Boilerman, we moved here with our 6 year old in January, and we think it is great here! We live on the island, and can walk to the beach in 10 minutes, ride our bikes to the downtown in 20, and RB Hunt is a great elementary school.

Yesterday, we went to church, then went downtown and had some great Greek food then took a bike ride where we helped a turtle off the road, saw 3 wading birds, and went to a skateboarding park with a playground.

My daughter has been able to do horseback riding, I want to learn how to Stand up paddleboard, and my husband wants to learn how to kite surf.

We have driven an hour and a half and watched manatees in crystal blue water. Driven 20 minutes and taken a free ferry to a 500 year old Spanish fort. And biked 20 minutes and rested on a bench in the oldest outdoor public space in the
Sorry sarojane I haven't been on here in a while. That sounds great. We are looking for the same thing this renewed my hopes for that area. How about housing and cost of living compared to pay scale? We will be renting a single family home hopefully. Not sure if we can swing it. Good luck with your new place. Thanks for responding.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM

195 posts, read 335,903 times
-- Saint Augustine very much has a small town vibe to it still, particularly downtown. While you'll find the typically chains and strip malls surrounding the major subdivisions, there's some very nice secluded communities still. Particularly along the river down SR 13. This will be roughly 20-30 mins to downtown, depending on how far out you live.

-- Internet is accessible and reliable.

-- That's possible, though it would just depend on the topography you're looking for. If you want the river or beach, you're looking at a bit more than a few miles out of town. Just a large property? That can be found.

-- Very inexpensive compared to other parts of the country , or further south Florida. Besides the markup in touristy areas, I haven't found it to be worse than Jax.

-- Unremarkable traffic, slight congestion when it's expected, nothing more.

-- How is crime? - Really subjective depending on the area. Where you're describing living would be fine.

-- Library downtown is excellent.

-- Excellent, Flagler hosp is one of the best in the region.
--

People area fairly welcoming, and of course you have the famed "southern hospitality". As far as being open minded, it really depends on what sense of the term and what area you mean....

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM

36 posts, read 50,731 times
Living in St Augustine is actually very nice, depending on where in St Augustine you live! Beats the h3ll out of living in Jax.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 28,331 times
My partner and I have narrowed down our FL move to St. Aug after several years' consideration. Much depends on whether I can find full-time (or steady contract) work in my field. We own a modest house in Atlanta and are weighing whether to sell it and move into something slightly nicer. Another option is to keep it, rent a small apartment for a year, get established, and get a feel for where we want to buy. We want to ride bikes/walk to the beach if possible, but can go as far as one hour inland. We're hoping for an LGBTQ-friendly, outdoorsy, literate, educated, walkable, AFFORDABLE niche of a 'hood where folks are more interested in their own gardens than in what's parked in the Jones' driveway. We're water people. Hablamos español. We adore cafecito. We despise stress (had our fill, thanks). Not quite retirement age, and quite possibly won't be "retiring" ever, but interested in being around other creative, laid-back, five-o'-clock-somewhere, water-defending baby-boomers. Of course we'd love to live ON the beach, or across from the beach, but probably can't afford it.

Now that's not too much to ask, is it?

We are desperate for suggestions of likely neighborhoods... and thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville