Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 AM

12 posts, read 25,057 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are moving from CT with our 2 kids (10 & 12 years old). We work from home and can live anywhere in Florida. We are looking to rent, but I am torn between which town to choose. I am drawn to St. Johns County primarily for the good public schools, but after doing much research Jupiter seems really appealing. Are there any objective opinions out there that can help me narrow down my search? Also, what do you think of Jensen Beach & Stuart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM

232 posts, read 573,805 times
What's your budget?

I would choose Jupiter hands down. They still have A rated schools, the beaches are much nicer (blue water). It doesn't get cold there, plus it feels like more of a small town, whereas Jacksonville just feels like miles and miles of interstate.

Don't get me wrong, you could be happy in either location, but if I were given the choice I'd choose Jupiter and never look back.

If you do look into Jupiter, check out Abacoa, its a great place to raise a family from the research I've done.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:42 PM

285 posts, read 606,182 times
What are your priorities? I've lived in both places, and I prefer St Johns for raising a young family, but Jupiter for just about everything else.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Dear sungoddess ~ Go to Ponte Vedra. It is the difference between heaven and hell in your life.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:45 AM

26 posts, read 58,671 times
I've lived in both locations.
To the poster who said Jupiter has a small town feel, I LOL and respectfully disagree.
Re:Abacoa it is cookie cutter stepfordville. In fact there is a lot of elitism in the Jupiter area. If you're okay with that, keeping up with the Jones', your property taxes equivalent to 3 months pay etc. etc. ( I could literally go on for two para's then Jupiter is your town. Jupiter is nice to visit, don't get me wrong. Owning & living here-not so much. I'd prefer Jacksonville.
No surprise here I'm selling & ready to leave.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Oh how I miss being up in the Jacksonville area! I loved it there so much!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 AM

232 posts, read 573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlggrits View Post
I've lived in both locations.
To the poster who said Jupiter has a small town feel, I LOL and respectfully disagree.
Re:Abacoa it is cookie cutter stepfordville. In fact there is a lot of elitism in the Jupiter area. If you're okay with that, keeping up with the Jones', your property taxes equivalent to 3 months pay etc. etc. ( I could literally go on for two para's then Jupiter is your town. Jupiter is nice to visit, don't get me wrong. Owning & living here-not so much. I'd prefer Jacksonville.
No surprise here I'm selling & ready to leave.
I said it has MORE of a small town feel than Jacksonville (i.e. you don't have to drive down 20 miles of interstate to get across town).

Abacoa is cookie cutter, but so are all of the subdivisions within Ponte Vedra, so I don't see how that applies. Same thing with elitism, you don't think that exists in PVB of all places?
Property taxes are higher there, but they are high in FL as a whole.

What area of Jupiter did you live in?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,341 times
Jupiter in my opinion is more of a city that you would never have o leave Jupiter for anything, if you do you can just go next door to Pbg. Ponte Vedra is not like that more of neighborhoods put together. PV is probably better for raising kids, But if you chose to live in Jupiter you would still not have a problem Raising kids there.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,994 times
The OP needs to share more of their lifestyle priorities for the forum to be helpful.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM

26 posts, read 58,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post
I said it has MORE of a small town feel than Jacksonville (i.e. you don't have to drive down 20 miles of interstate to get across town).

Abacoa is cookie cutter, but so are all of the subdivisions within Ponte Vedra, so I don't see how that applies. Same thing with elitism, you don't think that exists in PVB of all places?
Property taxes are higher there, but they are high in FL as a whole.

What area of Jupiter did you live in?
ahh. "has more" or "has" is semantics, no?

That out of the way; the original poster is obviously free to do their research, and will find that Palm Beach county property tax rates are amongst the top 5 highest in the state. Whereas Duval & St. John's county don't crack the top ten.

And no, I don't think the elitism that exists in Jupiter is in anyway comparable to PVB. Miami-Dade maybe, but not St. Johns or Duval. Not even close. But I live here, what do I know? LOL

I"m not sure why you're asking "what area" of Jupiter I live in. I don't see how that is applicable?

That aside - to the original poster. Do your homework and visit both areas. Take time to drive around and see how you personally feel. Stop at the playgrounds & talk to the other parents. Then if it feels right do it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville