Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM

44 posts, read 78,475 times

Advertisements

Hi I thought my title might get some attention LOL.

We , my son and I are thinking of a possible move to Jacksonville in the near future, next few months, and would like some tips on good neighborhoods, the crime rates (considering we are used to not having any!) It is a bit frightening, but also exciting. We vacationed in Panama city last summer and love the HEAT, the beach, love beach activities, para-sailing etc. We are originally from South Carolina and I don't think the cultural diversity will be a concern, and I work at Job Corps and hoping to transfer. Does anyone have opinions of the Job corps there? Anyone here work there? At this time we are in Caribou, Maine, far up north. And I think we are ready for a change after a long hard winter. I read that the Riverside, Avondale are the best neighborhoods? Is this true?

Any advice, tips, suggestions would be most appreciated, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
Riverside, avondale,
and
San Marco

are generally regarded as the nicest neighborhoods in the core of Jax.

They are historic, fairly walkable, with nice shops and restaurants.

But they are more expensive of course..

Before anyone else suggests it, steer clear of the barrage of people telling you its a great idea to live just over the Duval county line in North St Johns County.

They will tell you that Nocatee and Durbin Crossing, are the best places ever.

Really im sure they are nice, but consider this, you are out in the burbs, 30 minutes atleast from downtown jax.

Its not my style of living, and I do not consider it a good place to live.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
TD*

Also, I would say that you should consider Tallahassee as an alternative to Jacksonville.

Its got a lot to offer, and is a far nicer place.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verenda View Post
The most important question - what's your budget?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Also, I would say that you should consider Tallahassee as an alternative to Jacksonville.

Since when!!??

Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM

448 posts, read 829,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post

All the politicians have moved out?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 PM
TD*

Ignore the posters who dont live here.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verenda View Post
Hi I thought my title might get some attention LOL.

We , my son and I are thinking of a possible move to Jacksonville in the near future, next few months, and would like some tips on good neighborhoods, the crime rates (considering we are used to not having any!) It is a bit frightening, but also exciting. We vacationed in Panama city last summer and love the HEAT, the beach, love beach activities, para-sailing etc. We are originally from South Carolina and I don't think the cultural diversity will be a concern, and I work at Job Corps and hoping to transfer. Does anyone have opinions of the Job corps there? Anyone here work there? At this time we are in Caribou, Maine, far up north. And I think we are ready for a change after a long hard winter. I read that the Riverside, Avondale are the best neighborhoods? Is this true?

Hands down you should check out Arlington. After a few months there, anywhere in the city will seem virtually crime free. If you love the heat, Arlington still wins. There's more people packin' heat per sq. mile there than any other section of town! No beach there, but plenty of activities...car jacking, theft, drug dealing, shoot em' ups, the list is endless! Diversity? Not a problem in Arlington! You've got easy access to a very diverse range of drugs, guns and prostitutes. If you're ready for a change, then by golly Arlington is where you wanna be!

SS

Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM

178 posts, read 328,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Hands down you should check out Arlington. After a few months there, anywhere in the city will seem virtually crime free. If you love the heat, Arlington still wins. There's more people packin' heat per sq. mile there than any other section of town! No beach there, but plenty of activities...car jacking, theft, drug dealing, shoot em' ups, the list is endless! Diversity? Not a problem in Arlington! You've got easy access to a very diverse range of drugs, guns and prostitutes. If you're ready for a change, then by golly Arlington is where you wanna be!

SS
What's up with that statement?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM

448 posts, read 829,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLiving View Post
What's up with that statement?
It's just some wannabe funny guy trying and failing at being funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville