Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM

66 posts, read 117,854 times

Advertisements

Because I work from home sometimes I get restless looking at the same four walls all day and I also just need to be around other humans. So, on the days when I have no meetings I'll go work in a local coffee shop. I'm going to be in Jax next week (to narrow down the part of town I plan to move to later this year) and want to get a vibe on the areas I'm considering. So I'm thinking of spending some time working in some of the area coffee shops. When I was there at the end of '11 I worked at the Starbucks at Neptune Beach a couple of times.
But what are some of your favorite (preferably non-chain, unique, mom-and-pop type) coffee shops with good Wi-Fi that would help me get the vibe of the area? I'm particularly interested in Avondale/Riverside, San Marco and the beaches areas.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
There's really only 4 in Jacksonville of any note.

Bold Bean is in Riverside, on the growing Stockton Street commercial district. It's widely considered the best coffee house in the city now, mainly because they actually make their own coffee from scratch. They serve alcohol too, some lite snacks, and host music regukarly. They won "Best Coffee House" in 2012. Best time to visit is lunch or evenings.
Bold Bean Coffee Roasters - Bold Bean Coffee Roasters

Three Layers Cafe in the Springfield historic district, on a seemingly random corner in the neighborhood, is probably considered the second best coffee house in Jacksonville. They have a decent cafe menu, beer and wine bar, and host a different activity almost every day (ie, open mic, spoken word, stand up comdey, etc). What stands out of this coffeehouse is their secret garden in the back. Very tranquil. "They won Best Coffee House" in 2009 and 2011. Best time to visit is lunch or evenings.
ThreeLayers Cafe - Historic Springfield - Jacksonville, Florida

Chamblin's Uptown in the heart of Downtown Jacksonville is a great coffee house as well. It's a cafe / used book store, and embraces the hippie/artsy crowd, but is popular with everyone. Decent menu lite, including breakfast, which the 2 others I previously mentioned don't do, and have frequent vegan options. They just added sidewalk seating as well. Best time to visit is breakfast or lunch (by far). http://www.downtownjacksonville.org/...ns-uptown.aspx

Cool Moose Cafe in Riverside in the King Street commercial district is probably the last coffeehouse that deserves mention. It's been around longer than the others, and is a bit more of a restaurant than coffeeshop. Probably the best food menu. Best time to visit in breakfast or lunch. http://www.coolmoosecafe.net/

Enjoy.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM

448 posts, read 828,958 times
I don't drink coffee, but my personal assistant highly recommends,

The Brick Coffee House
214 N Hogan St
Jacksonville, FL 32202
(904) 354-9945

Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
I've been a couple times as I'm in Downtown a lot, and it doesn't compare. Not as big, not as much character, the crowd almost exclusively is Ed Ball Building office workers & it's neighbors. I go when i'm doing city biz nesr there. It's kinda like an airport coffeeshop in my opinion. Good, but not the real thing.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 AM

9 posts, read 18,806 times
I love three layers and chamblins! They're great environments to meet friends at or less fun, studying

Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trola2 View Post
Because I work from home sometimes I get restless looking at the same four walls all day and I also just need to be around other humans. So, on the days when I have no meetings I'll go work in a local coffee shop. I'm going to be in Jax next week (to narrow down the part of town I plan to move to later this year) and want to get a vibe on the areas I'm considering. So I'm thinking of spending some time working in some of the area coffee shops. When I was there at the end of '11 I worked at the Starbucks at Neptune Beach a couple of times.
But what are some of your favorite (preferably non-chain, unique, mom-and-pop type) coffee shops with good Wi-Fi that would help me get the vibe of the area? I'm particularly interested in Avondale/Riverside, San Marco and the beaches areas.
Thanks!
I like the Racetrac on University Blvd. close to Phillips Highway.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM

705 posts, read 1,574,423 times
Nice post fsu! Very comprehensive and I like the pictures. Good job!

Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 AM

294 posts, read 340,400 times
Lillie's in Neptune Beach is a nice spot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville