Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM

541 posts, read 2,285,731 times

Advertisements

I found a nice little Brazilian grocery store at the intersection of Old Kings Rd. and Baymeadows. It is in the Winn Dixie Plaza. It is called Casa da Picanha Latino Store. They have 3 or 4 aisles of canned and packaged goods, lots of Guarana soda, some cosmetic products, a little refrigerated section with cheese etc., and a little refrigerator of meats (that can be cut for you). Also, in the meat section in the back they have picanha...the famous cut of meat eaten in Brazil that tastes so good!!

I also found a traditional buffet that sells by the pound (I think 5.49 per pound). It is called Brazil Grill and it is in one of the plazas on the right going west on Beach Blvd. just past San Pablo. I recommend loading up on the Feijoada which they have on the buffet on Saturdays (at least).

And if you want to have fancy brazilian churrascuria...of course there is Tento in Jax beach. A great experience for the girlfriend, wife, or a group of friends! I think it is 39 per person now...but it is all you can eat. The meats are excellent...and so is the grilled pineapple!

And finally there is a brazilian bakery on San Jose Blvd. It is in the same plaza as Hong Kong Bistro. It is called Brazilian Bakery. The brazilians make really sweet desserts and anything you get there will be something new, and will taste good (in my opinion).

Hope this excites peoples taste buds! Who would have guessed that Jax would have a full selection of Brazilian foods to choose from? Also, if there are any other Brazilian food places out there...let us all know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,298 times
Default Bacalao, bacalao, where art thou?

Speaking of Brazilian cuisine, does anyone know where I can buy some salt-dried bacalao, aka cod fish? I'll prepare it myself. Seems like Publix and Winn Dixie in my area never heard of it. I remember one particular Brazilian restaurant back in NYC that specialized in a dozen ways to prepare bacalao dishes. It's a delicacy in some countries nowadays but at one time before refrigerators were widely available it was popular among the poorer folk.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM

60 posts, read 314,015 times
Bacala is also an Italian dish. I'm of Italian descent; but, have never tried it. Don't know if there are any differences with the Brazilian variety. You may want to try an Italian grocer...which is tough to find around here.

I think Italian grocers are on just about every corner in Pittsburgh (yes, exaggeration but only slightly). I've found a small one out by the beach. Forget the name; but, they do a mean prosciutto sub.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM

I know they have bacalao at a place called the Caribbean Grocery Mart (10909 Atlantic Blvd).....I think this store leans heavily to the Puerto Rican side of the Caribbean. I remember they had bacalao in the freezers towards the back of this small grocery store. I think I remember seeing it at other places too, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll be on the lookout for it and let you know where else they have it. I feel that most hispanic grocery stores would have it.

I know what you mean jrmutley about the lack of Italian markets around here. It doesn't make sense to me why they don't exist here??

I remember going to the Strip District in Pittsburgh many times with my dad to Penn Mac and Sunseri's. I loved the smell of those Italian markets. I also loved walking out of there with a block of fontina, fresh mozzarela, pints of sicilian olives, smoked sausage, bacala, and jordan almonds. On christmas eve we would also stop at Wholey's down the road and get the seven fishes. Gotta love the Strip!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM

60 posts, read 314,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I know what you mean jrmutley about the lack of Italian markets around here. It doesn't make sense to me why they don't exist here??

I remember going to the Strip District in Pittsburgh many times with my dad to Penn Mac and Sunseri's. I loved the smell of those Italian markets. I also loved walking out of there with a block of fontina, fresh mozzarela, pints of sicilian olives, smoked sausage, bacala, and jordan almonds. On christmas eve we would also stop at Wholey's down the road and get the seven fishes. Gotta love the Strip!
Ah, man...I haven't been homesick in the 16 months since moving to Jacksonville. Until now. Ya just can't beat the Strip. I need a Primanti's sandwich and I need it now!!!!!

I worked in Lawrenceville just down from the strip. I would go there for a Wholey's fish sandwich every couple of weeks or so. Fantastic. My Italian family never did the feast of the seven fishes thing. Not sure why.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmutley View Post
My Italian family never did the feast of the seven fishes thing. Not sure why.
Because no one wanted to fry the smelts in their house

We have finally found one cousin that doesn't mind so we have christmas eve at her house

Old 11-02-2007, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 30,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I found a nice little Brazilian grocery store at the intersection of Old Kings Rd. and Baymeadows. It is in the Winn Dixie Plaza. It is called Casa da Picanha Latino Store. They have 3 or 4 aisles of canned and packaged goods, lots of Guarana soda, some cosmetic products, a little refrigerated section with cheese etc., and a little refrigerator of meats (that can be cut for you). Also, in the meat section in the back they have picanha...the famous cut of meat eaten in Brazil that tastes so good!!

I also found a traditional buffet that sells by the pound (I think 5.49 per pound). It is called Brazil Grill and it is in one of the plazas on the right going west on Beach Blvd. just past San Pablo. I recommend loading up on the Feijoada which they have on the buffet on Saturdays (at least).

And if you want to have fancy brazilian churrascuria...of course there is Tento in Jax beach. A great experience for the girlfriend, wife, or a group of friends! I think it is 39 per person now...but it is all you can eat. The meats are excellent...and so is the grilled pineapple!

And finally there is a brazilian bakery on San Jose Blvd. It is in the same plaza as Hong Kong Bistro. It is called Brazilian Bakery. The brazilians make really sweet desserts and anything you get there will be something new, and will taste good (in my opinion).

Hope this excites peoples taste buds! Who would have guessed that Jax would have a full selection of Brazilian foods to choose from? Also, if there are any other Brazilian food places out there...let us all know!
are u brasilian

Old 11-02-2007, 03:19 PM

No not brazilian, just a young american kid with an eye for the world and its cultures....I think I was made this way after living in north Jersey for a while

Old 04-04-2010, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 17,492 times
Wink Bacalao

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Speaking of Brazilian cuisine, does anyone know where I can buy some salt-dried bacalao, aka cod fish? I'll prepare it myself. Seems like Publix and Winn Dixie in my area never heard of it. I remember one particular Brazilian restaurant back in NYC that specialized in a dozen ways to prepare bacalao dishes. It's a delicacy in some countries nowadays but at one time before refrigerators were widely available it was popular among the poorer folk.
The Winn Dixie at the corner of Beach and St. Johns Bluff carries it because the guy at the seafood counter was complaining to me that cod was too salty. Of course, I realized what he was talking about and told him the cod in the case was not salty. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville