Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM

11 posts, read 57,507 times

Advertisements

I've read a couple threads on here regarding this but they're at least a year old, and not many numbers. I'm trying to get an average price for propane tank installs for a gas stove. From what I'm reading online, in most other states it usually costs no more than $500, but here in Jax, contractors/gas companies are charging people $1700!!! Anyone have this done for a decent price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 AM

219 posts, read 510,016 times
I can't really comment on costs as I really have no idea however I'm wondering if the discrepancies you're seeing is for a surface vs buried tank. Most of the tanks in my neighborhood are buried and I bet you could barely rent the digging equipment to bury one for $500.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
I can't really comment on costs as I really have no idea however I'm wondering if the discrepancies you're seeing is for a surface vs buried tank. Most of the tanks in my neighborhood are buried and I bet you could barely rent the digging equipment to bury one for $500.
I would have to agree, $500 would be outstanding, if you can get it done for that, let us all know and they'll get a fair amount of business.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
If you rent the tank, there may not be an installation charge. Amerigas installed ours. I originally wanted to purchase the tank from them, and thought that's the way it was written up, but somewhere along the way, it turned into a tank lease. Oh well. Haha!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM

I really have no preference of buried vs above ground, although I've read that above may be a little safer in the event if a leak. That does make sense about the price.

So amerigas poured the concrete and ran the line for free with tank lease?

I'm still looking into buying vs leasing, but have read some companies charge higher gas rates for leased tanks. Not sure if that's done locally. And of course being able to shop prices would be good.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
My tank is buried, so no concrete was poured. Honestly, I don't remember if there was a cost for installation, since this took place 3 years ago. I'm sorry. Oh, and my house was newly built and my builder already had the gas line run to the fireplace. If you're needing all that, there probably will be some sort of upfront expense. Where are you buying your gas range? They may be able to offer some help on this process.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:13 PM

Not sure where yet. As long as I'm legally allowed, I'll be able to handle most of the work myself. I just figured installing a containment system for lp would require licensing, so I'm pricing the install until I find out otherwise.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
If you rent the tank, there may not be an installation charge. Amerigas installed ours. I originally wanted to purchase the tank from them, and thought that's the way it was written up, but somewhere along the way, it turned into a tank lease. Oh well. Haha!

Same exact thing happened to us......that taught me to really, really save all my paperwork.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:29 PM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
I paid almost $1500 to install a buried 250 gallon tank and lines on a new construction home. I did some research and it seemed like that price was not out of left field. Gas will be for a pool heater for a hot tub and for a fireplace we'll never use.

I asked about purchasing and at least with this particular company everybody leases.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 23,412 times
The website I used when configuring my propane installation (Buy Propane Refills, Gas at Cheap Prices | Quick Delivery Services) indicates that the cost of a propane tank installation depends on how large your tank is and whether it is buried or above ground. So it really depends on how much propane you are going to use in the gas stove. I'd say that anything between 100 and 250 gallon should do (500 gallon tanks are for homes that use propane as a primary source of energy, like mine). But the price of the tank and installation depends on where you are compared to where the tank supplier is, whether or not you have it filled when you order it, etc. Not sure if it's as important for your situation but I'd get a bunch of quotes and compare/set the companies up against one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville