Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:15 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,314 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what are the reasons for the growth in the black population of Jacksonville? Recent statistics that i have seen show an increase in the proportion of blacks in the metro area. Some say that Jacksonville is a racist city and has many rednecks or whatever, but it must not be that bad if black people are moving there in substantial numbers. Any responses would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 02:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I was wondering what are the reasons for the growth in the black population of Jacksonville? Recent statistics that i have seen show an increase in the proportion of blacks in the metro area. Some say that Jacksonville is a racist city and has many rednecks or whatever, but it must not be that bad if black people are moving there in substantial numbers. Any responses would be appreciated.
major demographic changes. lots of people from black community from LA moving back south. this is reshuffle of demographics not growth. black population down form 14% to 11% in a few short years.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
jax has many blacks, and yes, many rednecks too. but i think many of them live in different parts of jax, and some ppl like to be mixed in with eachother, and perhaps dont mind it much. i wouldnt mind living in PARTS of jax, and i am white. having a black population doesnt bother me a bit. a lot of towns in the south have a loagre number of african americans. especially cities like spartanburg sc, durham nc, etc...

Old 11-04-2007, 04:27 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,038 times
I can't quote any statistics at this time, but I do remember watching a news spot on how African-Americans from the North & West were coming back to their "roots", if you will, in the South. Most were moving due to race relations in the West, and Cost of Living in the North, which could be deciding factors for any race when you think about it?

Old 11-04-2007, 04:36 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
I live in Jax and there do seem to be more Black professionals moving to Jax. I couldn't find any stats, but think it is the inmigration of northern Blacks to the south and those who do not want the rat race of Atlanta probably see Jax as a good nearby alternative.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
major demographic changes. lots of people from black community from LA moving back south. this is reshuffle of demographics not growth. black population down form 14% to 11% in a few short years.

I thought the african american population here was above 30%??

Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I thought the african american population here was above 30%??
Bunky lives in CA and isn't referring to Jax.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I live in Jax and there do seem to be more Black professionals moving to Jax.
Good point. In our little worlds some of us tend to forget that up north and out west and even here in the south, like Atlanta, there are some well-educated and well-heeled black communities. Unfortunately, these hardworking black professionals get preempted in our media. Sadly, the media's version of upwardly mobile African Americans is the NFL and NBA.

If it is true that there are more black professionals moving to Jax, that can only be a good thing. IMO it wont have any effect on whatever racism exists in Jax. Neither will it help to change the landscape or how we look at black communities in Jax. Upwardly mobile African Americans are not going to gravitate to what may be considered black enclaves here in Jax. Who would blame them?

Whatever the reason for the influx, it's definitely not money IMO. Weather, maybe. Escaping the rat race, maybe.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Some say that Jacksonville is a racist city and has many rednecks or whatever, but it must not be that bad if black people are moving there in substantial numbers.
I don't think it is that bad here. There is plenty of room for improvement, like most American cities, but it's not as bad as some people will have you believe.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:36 PM

27 posts, read 80,110 times
Default african americans in St. Johns

It seems as though most african americans are in the heart of Jacksonville and not smaller areas like St. Johns. Why does anyone think that is? My family is African American and we are thinking of relocating to FLorida. St Johns has the great schools but such a small number of african american children/families. I do not want my children to be such a minority at the schools or in their neighborhoods. Any suggestions? it seems that the larger populations of AA's in Jacksonville in certain areas have not so good school ratings. I am BIG on education. Any suggestions would help on where in Jacksonville to move to. Thanks

NIKKI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville