Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 PM

257 posts, read 1,127,253 times

Advertisements

Okay here is my deal. Live outside of DC...hate it. Love all the things to do but hate the cold and what its becoming. VA is nice and yes i love my family and friends there...but gotta get out.I attend a VERY small college in WV...hate that...small town, cold and nothing AT ALL to do. I just got accepted into JU and i am going down in two weeks. I need info on JU and i see from maps and such that it is VERY close to Downtown. Love that....I have been to florida...woo probably 15 times in 2 years. jacksonville not so much. south florida, Tampa and Panama city is where i have always gone. But i liked jacksonville the 2 times i have been. Whats it like for a student? fun town? decently warm compared to DC? i was told it snows every blue moon. I really need information on JU....the surrounding area and obviously a 19 year old view on things to do. Bars and such are out of the picture for another year....20 is coming up quick. I love cities, and i love Florida...good choice? actually its my only choice as of now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 11:24 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 990,689 times
It's a fine city to be 19 in.
Obviously, its a lot warmer than Washington, DC in the winter.
It isn't "Spring Break" Florida, so don't expect that.
It isn't "Disneyland", so don't expect that either.

It's a working city that offers most all big-city amenities.
No, it can't compete with NYC or Chicago for the sheer volume and spectrum of activities, but for an ordinary person with a typical attention span, it will be fine.

JU is what it is. It isn't a spectacular school, but it isn't "bad".

If you're the type of wandering college kid who is always looking over the next horizon, then it doesn't matter where you go- it will never be good enough (I know this- I was that kid once). If you're honestly looking to "sink in" and experience the textures that the city has to offer, you'll probably really enjoy yourself.
Keep in mind- Jacksonville is a "southern city".
If you've never experienced this before, you will probably have a bit of culture shock. And being a 19 year old college kid from the north, I do feel well-footed to proffer this caveat; if your life revolves around global warming, corporation blaming and freeing Tibet, you might be happier elsewhere (the moon, perhaps)

Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,136,261 times
Some folks in my church were talking about it- both graduated from JU and both had a parent who taught there. They really liked it and their kids will go. Said they liked the smaller classes and ability to have a relationship with the faculty.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:47 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,921,386 times
Default Part 1 of my response

This is my take as a mother of an 18-soon-to-be-19-year-old ....

Weather: as escapees from the north, I find the autumn weather warmer here, but not as warm as I'd wish. It's been in the 50s in the morning and has been climbing into the high 70s/low 80s during day. Forecast for the week, however, says the daytime temps will be in the high 60s. My neighbors told me not to get rid of my winter coat as I'll probably need it during January -- I guess I can survive a month-long winter as opposed to the four or five months "suffered" up north, especially since I won't have to contend with ice and snow.

Social life: I can't comment on what kind of events (dances, parties, etc) are held right on the JU campus - lots, some, none? Nor do I know about what goes on at UNF. Off-campus, there are a few nightclubs that do allow 18 to 21 year olds: The Pearl, Bourbon Street Station to name two. Outside of school it's been impossible for my daughter to meet kids her age - but now that she's a freshman at FCCJ (Florida Community College at Jacksonville), she has a few circles of friends. Another way kids meet peers is through work.

Except for a few pockets, downtown Jacksonville is pretty deserted at night. Those pockets would be The Landing, and on certain nights outside Chew and London Bridge. During First Wednesday Art Walk, downtown is teeming with people until about 9 pm.

Activities with friends can range from clubbing to first-run movies to old-time movies to bowling. Since I'm not sure if your interest is dancing til 2 am or sitting for hours in front of a Robert Longo piece at MOCA, I'm not certain how to continue the list of things-to-do.

Transportation: you didn't mention if you will have a car. Simply walking won't cut it here since Jacksonville is huge. I don't have any knowledge about the public transportation system (bus), but others here on the forum do.

Part 2 will be forthcoming from my daughter .... straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:57 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,020,118 times
great post mawipafl
just wait till you experience these temps in December while everyone up north is freezing. you will find your self calling them and casually mentioning how nice it is here

we usually get one or 2 freezes a year.
The reason it sometimes feels colder here is the humidity 55 with 10% vs 55 with 70%
it's a damp chill.
When I first moved here I froze and would drag out the down jacket
now lol it is probably mid December before I break out the socks

Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,921,386 times
Thanks Karla for explaining about the humidity thing! Now I understand why I was standing in front of my thermometer yesterday scratching my head because it read 74 degrees and yet I was in socks, long pants, and a sweatshirt.

PS Best indicator beyond the thermometer to tell me that I can take off my sweatshirt is when the anoles come out from hiding. Love those little lizards. So, Love2LiveNCities, that's another difference between DC/VA/WV and here.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:06 AM

The beach !!!!!
we forgot to tell the OP this

Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the quick replys. I will in fact have a car that i will drive down once and drive back once for the start/end of each year. I am not into drastic politics such as global warming and everything along those lines. I am very very very very laid back and know exactly what i want. You could kinda call me a wandering person...but i do have a set goal. Being out of state its been almost impossible to get into a FL school and study geography/urban planning. So now that i have found it, I will be ready to sink in. I wouldnt say Jacksonville was my first pick...but through statistics and from family that have lived there its the most well working "normal" city in FL.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM

Love2LiveNCities
I think you will be fine here
as you can tell there are a lot of great folks that live here that post on the forum here
so come on over and hang out with us here
have you decided where you are going to live
karla

Old 11-05-2007, 11:43 AM

On campus because im starting in Spring Semester in January....hopefully next year an apartment either on campus or the cheap ones by UNF. Honestly i want a good cheap but nice one. And i dont know the area well at all like i do other parts of florida so i will have to scope it out while i am there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville