Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 13,071 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am having some difficulty in finding a decent apartment in Jax so hopefully you can help me out!

Here's some background:

I live on the Southside currently, off Belle Rive. 1BR/1BTH 780 sq ft. It's a nice complex, but the rent keeps rising and it is now to the point where I can barely afford it (My budget is $760). It is also recently under new management and I have found that they are complete a-holes. I work Downtown and I don't mind the commute (between 20 and 30 minutes). I like the current location, but I am not tied down to one particular area of Jax. As much as price vs. area, safety is also a factor in my decision (I'm not -that- gung-ho ).

I have a 2 y/o Siberian Husky female, 47LBs. She is very sweet, but I have found that the breed ends up on the restriction lists more often than not (ugh!), thus making this search a pain in the butt. She is coming with me, so no suggestions otherwise, thanks!

Out of the apartments I have sniffed out that takes Huskies and offer similar price/sq ft:

Remember: <$760, ~780sqft

1. Island Club at Atlantic Beach
http://www.islandclubatlanticbeach.com/
Atlantic Beach Apartments | Island Club at Atlantic Beach in Atlantic Beach, FL 32233

2. Park South at Deerwood
http://www.parksouthatdeerwood.com/
Jacksonville Apartments | Park South at Deerwood in Jacksonville, FL 32256

3. Woodhollow Apartments
http://www.woodhollowapts.com
Woodhollow Apartments in Jacksonville FL 32224

4. Woodlake Park
http://www.woodlakeparkapts.com/
Woodlake Park Apartments Jacksonville, Florida 32257

Can you offer anything about these places? Can you suggest any others?

Last edited by Ziirahdane; 06-17-2013 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: urls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
$20.00 over budget but nice, in the beginning of Lakewood on the border of south San Marco. Keep it in case you get a lil raise! They take large breeds and are nice. I was in them. The complex is small and it's not all that "fancy" but maintained perfectly when I was there. The pool area is tranquil and they don't tolerate nonsense. At least in 2012. Floor Plans and Pricing for Lakewood Village Apartments by AspenSquare

They are about 15 minutes south of downtown on Hendricks at around University maybe a block or three down. There's a Wynn Dixie on that corner of University if you know the area. And a Shell and other stores. The good thing is Hendricks traffic is manageable you can take lots of alternative streets if there is any tie up and not be stuck on a highway. I used to work at University all the time even though my pet sitting service area technically stopped in San Marco sometimes I took other people. Wasn't that far. You would take the Main St Bridge or Acosta or even 95.

1 BD / 1.0 BA
780 sq. ft.
Starting at $780

Certainly you would save more than that 20.00 on gas not commuting from the beach, no?

Riverside and San Marco are in your price range, too. I considered 2/1 duplexes on River Rd in San Marco for 750.00 in 2012 but not as secure feeling as in a complex. Riverside would be better, too.

san marco 32207 riverside/avondale 32204,32205

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-17-2013 at 08:33 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 AM

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll keep that one in mind if I do get a raise, haha! I am not very familiar with that area (aside from where I work), but everyone seems to talk about it. I have been wanting to look in Riverside - many of my coworkers and friends live around san marco/riverside/avondale, but most make much more than me and live in really fancy places (sigh!). And it seems like there's just not many complexes around there?

I guess I can't edit my original post but once? Hm~.

A few more:

5. Belle Rive Club Apartments 32256
Belle Rive Club Apartments - Jacksonville, Florida

6. Waterford at Mandarin 32223
The Waterford at Mandarin Apartments in Jacksonville FL | Jacksonville Apartments for Rent

7. Marsh Oaks 32233
Apartments in Atlantic Beach FL - Marsh Oaks

Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziirahdane View Post
Thank you for your suggestion! I'll keep that one in mind if I do get a raise, haha! I am not very familiar with that area (aside from where I work), but everyone seems to talk about it. I have been wanting to look in Riverside - many of my coworkers and friends live around san marco/riverside/avondale, but most make much more than me and live in really fancy places (sigh!). And it seems like there's just not many complexes around there?

I guess I can't edit my original post but once? Hm~.

A few more:

5. Belle Rive Club Apartments 32256
Belle Rive Club Apartments - Jacksonville, Florida

6. Waterford at Mandarin 32223
The Waterford at Mandarin Apartments in Jacksonville FL | Jacksonville Apartments for Rent

7. Marsh Oaks 32233
Apartments in Atlantic Beach FL - Marsh Oaks

Yeah you can only edit for a short time. NO there aren't many complexes in Riverside but most people don't mind. I have clients in Villas St Johns smack in the center of it but I remember them to be higher. You can definitely get a 1 bedroom in your range even a 2 bed (sometimes) in Riverside in your range and you should drive over and see the area. There's no "mall" but everything you could need is there for daily life - it's cute - AND YOU"D SAVE A FORTUNE on gas and your TIME commuting!

In fact the BEST haircut I ever got in all of Florida was in Riverside LOL Peace Hair I think. They do a dry cut and are trained in the Deva product line (no/low shampoo shampoo company LOL)

Believe it or not I had a one bedroom 900 sq feet for 575.00 in Avondale (same as Riverside just a few blocks further) right at the stores, on St Johns in a really nice area. Private owner not creepy with a girlfriend around 40 years old nd he lived downstairs so I had that security. With a concrete garage (with no door). The reason it was cheap is it doesn't have any yard to speak of, or central air or heat you use window units and a wall unit gas for heat. But it was bright all new appliances, hardwood floors (but he wanted to put carpet in) and cheerful and I could walk for stuff. 2 miles from downtown. I used to live in the Strand and paid so much more and never used any amenities then they had a flood so I left.

I found it on Craigslist (sometimes they're not good but heavily used around there) and also there are signs on lawns. Just stay east of Forbes, I'd say or better yet if you're a girl and cautious like me, east of Park. I paid 50 per month to the landlord for internet and dish tv he provided and electric ran around 35 to 60 if I ran everything. That particular guy loves dogs and may or may not take a large dog, but just giving you an example. I'm a dog walker so I know dogs are super common there but true, some may balk. And YES you can end up with a jerk for a landlord, just sayin.

Don't forget to add your GAS in for commuting from some of those zips you're looking at. Right now in Vero I'm BURNING gas on my jobs using the air conditioning! And I usually get 33 mpg but it's still killing me compared to when I lived in Jax and didn't drive as far around downtown.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-18-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the insight! I'll be sure to add Riverside to my 'wade through rentals' list!

More background and specifics:

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but yes I am a young 20-something lady, single (and super cautious), with dog. I am not much for the bars/clubs scene (though I will go occasionally), and actually enjoy staying around the home. In fact, in the almost 2 years I have lived in the current complex I have never actually been in the pool/gym area, LOL! I would like to start doing a little bit of small entertaining in my own home. I do like shopping - I'd love to be someplace close to maybe a Target/Publix center? I also sometimes hit up Town Center or Avenues if I have some extra cash or want to just window shop. I go to a big dog park every Saturday (it's 20 minutes out of my way but TOTALLY worth it), so I'm no stranger to going out of my way for something - and also okay with not having a yard (though small bark parks are great for the interim - huskies need to run! but if not, being able to walk her in the evening safely would be nice). Car is good on gas - I only fill up twice a month if I don't make extra trips 'round Jax. My dad lives in OP and I visit him on occasion, but it's not so often that it would be a pain if I lived farther away. My utilities average $50 water/$50 electric/$50 internet, so not too bad there. Commute time - like I said, I can deal with 30 minutes. It seems to take me ~30 minutes to get everywhere (beach, OP, etc). And as far as job, while I see the convenience of living close to work, I don't necessarily want to be just in case I change jobs. I'd rather be closer to "stuff" than to work.

Also, the move is 6 months away so I am really just gathering potential/worth-it places right now, and when it comes time the battle of who-has-the-best-prices/deals will begin.

Ehhh, I've heard a lot of stuff about rentals on Craigslist - I'd be afraid to go see a place without my dad or a buddy, haha. I feel more secure with complex situations where there is a real company behind everything. And sorry for the long-windedness!

So besides Riverside, anywhere else you guys can recommend? Do you see anything on the listed properties that are immediate no's?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 PM

195 posts, read 322,046 times
The only property I see on your list that raises a red flag with me is #7 Marsh Oaks 32233 only because its on Mayport Rd which I don't consider to be a good part of town.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 AM

185 posts, read 318,468 times
I second the riverside/san marco/5 points areas. They are plenty of quaint, duplexes and such in those areas in your price range.

Not sure how much space you need or if they accept dogs but I know City Place downtown has 1 bedrooms for around that price range.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
I second the riverside/san marco/5 points areas. They are plenty of quaint, duplexes and such in those areas in your price range.

Not sure how much space you need or if they accept dogs but I know City Place downtown has 1 bedrooms for around that price range.
Hm... the floorplans seem small vs. the price. Also, their pet policy says small pets up to 35lbs, so that's a no-go for us. Thanks though!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
The only property I see on your list that raises a red flag with me is #7 Marsh Oaks 32233 only because its on Mayport Rd which I don't consider to be a good part of town.
Oh okay, thanks! I didn't realize Mayport Rd was an iffy area? Is it because of the base? I guess that puts out #1 Island Club at Atlantic Beach as well then, it's on the same road (shame, I liked it).

Would Hodges be any better? I've seen a bunch of nice looking places down that road (possibly out of my price range, besides Woodhollow, but still).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville