Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Andy
We have metro pcs for phones Att for internet and Dish for tv seems te cheapest deals and for us they have good service
Peter
Wow, if they paid me, I wouldn't take that trio.

It boils down to your personal experience I guess. But really you have to weigh your priorities, if you want cheap and that's all that matters, then the choices become a lot easier. If you're willing to pay several hundreds of dollars a month, then I would go for better choices mentioned previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:37 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.attaboy View Post
My home is in northern Clay County, in Fleming Island. We've lived in the area for nearly 28 years. I'll make this simple:

For cellular, go T-Mobile. their service in the region is really excellent, and they are currently rolling an LTE network out, so it's only going to get better. You can get a no-contract plan with unlimited talk and text and 500 MB of 4G data for about $50 per month per phone. 2 GB of additional data is $10. They will also offer great deals on smartphones which won't kill you. No contract is the best way. We've been with them for about 12 years (since they were Powertel).

For TV, just get satellite. We've had DirecTV service at our house since 1998. I will never give it up for cable.

For internet, we just dumped AT&T's DSL after about 14 years and took on Comcast. $40 per month for 30-50Mbps service (their Blast tier). That for the first six months. They up the price after, but you can always negotiate after a year. Buy your own modem and save about $7 per month.
That's MY TMobile plan And I LOVE LOVE LOVE my android G2 phone from 2 years ago with them.

It's very probable your DirecTV works fine. IME it really depends on the neighborhood and I'm thinking the big trees in San Marco are the problem in the homes I know.

To the OP the ONLY TIME I would suggest a landline is if you get bad cell service in your home. It is NOT unusual, speaking as someone working in people's homes. Also has happened to me in Vero in one small area.

I have several clients that have to walk OUTSIDE to call me on the cell. Pockets just can't pick up the call or 1 bar or something. They all have landlines. The reason it's a HOT ISSUE for ME is because some people want texts after I see their pet, or even while I'm there....and I have to drive around the block to do it and it's a pain plus I may forget once I leave the home..

You can a get a landline under 30.00 MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM A "PLAIN OLD TELEPHONE LINE WITH NO FEATURES AND NO CALLING PLANS JUST A PHONE LINE". lol Then check your bill. They cram things on. "Cram" means add crap illegally for sales. The line is about 17.00 plus taxes and surcharges. I think mine is exactly 23.00?

It really depends on your level of dependency on your phone. I CANNOT afford to even let my phone lose a charge if I forget. BUT it's my business. Actually I have a "google voice" number - a fake phone number that forwards to BOTH my cell and landline so I cannot miss a call ever. It's free and there is a record of every call on the account that is linked to my gmail email address. I can also MAKE CALLS from my computer using that google voice number which comes with free voice mail. If you're a phone freak for work or whatever.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-21-2013 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 PM

26 posts, read 40,926 times
Thanks for all your help

Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycfoster View Post
My wife likes the las calinas area of St. John's and has found out her company has 20% discount with AT&T and tmobile. I was wondering for these providers:

What's the coverage in this areas and st johns generally like?
How do you rate them?
Can we use them or should we avoid the discount and just go Verizon?

Also coming from uk not sure how tv/Internet works. Is there a preferred provider or do all provide same tv channels. Ie what's the difference between going with AT&T or Comcast for instance? Are we restricted by feeds as I assume everything is more cable than dish as in uk?

Thanksxs
We're in PVB (St. Johns County). My husband has a TMobile prepaid (he uses about 50 minutes a year calling me from the grocery store ). Coverage is excellent. Can't comment on plans unless you're talking about prepaid "by the minute".

We gave up on AT&T DSL a couple of years ago because the service sucked. Went with Comcast for internet. Which has worked out great.

Have never explored any dish service - too many big trees on our property obstructing a dish view. Robyn

Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycfoster View Post
My wife likes the las calinas area of St. John's and has found out her company has 20% discount with AT&T and tmobile. I was wondering for these providers:

What's the coverage in this areas and st johns generally like?
How do you rate them?
Can we use them or should we avoid the discount and just go Verizon?

Also coming from uk not sure how tv/Internet works. Is there a preferred provider or do all provide same tv channels. Ie what's the difference between going with AT&T or Comcast for instance? Are we restricted by feeds as I assume everything is more cable than dish as in uk?

Thanksxs
In the past I have worked for AT&T and T- Mobile. Both have good coverage. If you are going back and forth the UK GSM phones would be compatable. T-Mobile is a subisidiary of a German company so it may be easier to get service in Europe, just make sure your rate plan covers it before leaving. AT&T is GSM as well... Verizon and MetroPCS are CDMA so phone not compatable with European systems but with T-Mobile merging with Metro that will be changing I am sure.

Comast ( I worked for them too) is better than AT&T except I like UVerse being able to record more shows at once on the DVR. Comcast has a bundle that includes a landline phone as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville