Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,172 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Bethesda MD and am considering Nocatee. We have a one year old and 3.5 year old and are considering moving to Nocatee but would really like to keep our 3.5 year old enrolled in Montessori school close. Are there any Montessori schools located near Nocatee or highly recommended daycare/preschools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,585 times
There are not any "true" Montessori schools near Nocatee - the closest would be in Jax Beach or Mandarin, I think. There are, however, many great preschools very close by. The most Montessori-esque would probably be Accotink Academy. Most of the others are associated with churches (Crosswater, Palmer Preschool, Ponte Vedra Presbyterian Church).

Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 PM

85 posts, read 202,762 times
Palencia Montessori Academy is a preschool located a few miles down US-1. My four-year-old went there last year and we were very happy with the program.

Last year the program was for children from 2 1/2 through kindergarten, but I think they may be expanding this year to include a class for younger children.

Palencia Montessori Academy & Palencia Extended Day

Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,585 times
Ahhh, I forgot about Palencia! That would be the closest one then. Thanks for the correction!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 PM

23 posts, read 99,888 times
bartram academy is pretty close by. it's not montessori but is reggio emilia based. we checked it out and would have loved to enroll our child, but they did not have space available at the time.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 AM

82 posts, read 153,658 times
There's a great montessori school down in St. Augustine. It's called Moultrie Montessori School and its on State Road 16. But unless you are working down in that area, it'd probably be out of your way. We moved here 2 years ago and our 4 year old at the time had been in montessori her whole life. We enrolled her there and were very satisfied.

For your future consideration, there's also a free montessori charter school in St. Augsutine, called St. Augustine Public Montessori. It's only starting it's second year. It's 1st through 3rd grade, or maybe 4th. In keeping with the montessori age groupings, it does not have a kindergarten, as it groups the 6 to 9 years old in 1st to 3rd. I think it plans to add a grade the next 2 years as the older kids move up so they'll also be a full 9-12 year old grouping in a few years. Early feedback I've heard is mixed, but it may just be growing pains of a new school.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 PM

93 posts, read 158,269 times
Discovery Montessori in Jax Beach gets great reviews.

J. Allen Axson is a public Montessori magnet, but it's in Duval county. I've heard mixed reviews from parents, and it's not accredited by the major Montessori organizations.

There's also Seaside Play Garden at the beaches. It's Reggio I believe, and quite small.

I have to disagree with a previous poster -- Accotink is not at all Montessori-based. Accotink is very teacher led with very little child directed or play based learning. Many people love the school -- but it's not Montessori.

I have a daughter in preschool, and I toured many, many preschools in the area when we were deciding where to send her.

We have our daughter at Christ Episcopal Preachool in Ponte Vedra Beach. It's an excellent program -- everyone I know who sends their kids there is very happy. It's a warm, loving environment, and they have a child-centered and play based approach to learning. All the teachers there have bachelors degrees -- something I was surprised to find was not the case at many preschools.

I also really liked the preschool at Community Presbyterian church in Atlantic Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville