Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,434,279 times

Advertisements

Last Saturday - we had some errands in Avondale. And wound up having lunch at Black Sheep. I had been meaning to try it for a while (it opened in late 2012) - but didn't did get around to it.

I'd read mixed reviews. Most negatives relating to service on weekend evenings - and the size of the portions in light of the price. Our Saturday lunch was delicious. And service was excellent. It is a somewhat high price point for JAX (but comparable to places like bb's and the like). And - the portions aren't huge. But they were plenty big for us. The shrimp and grits was one of the best renditions I've ever had. We dined inside (nice interior decorating job) - but the restaurant has a lovely rooftop patio (not a terrific option on a 90+ degree July afternoon).

FWIW - during the week - the restaurant serves its food kind of "fast food" style (you order when you come in - and servers bring your food to the table). Reckon that's designed to get people on "lunch breaks" in and out fast. On weekends - it's regular table service. Anyway - I give it a .

Today we had lunch at Seasons 52. It has become a lunch favorite of ours when taking trips to the Town Center/Costco/etc. It's a very pleasant restaurant with good food. Especially the fish dishes. And I like the "mini-desserts" a lot. Another .

We also have a lot of lunches at Seven Bridges. Because it's my father's favorite. I'm a fan of the southern fried chicken salad - and his favorite is the seafood Cobb. My husband always finds a beer he likes there. Another .

So what are your new/old favorites these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,150 times
Hello, Robyn! We're pretty new to the area so this may be one of the "old" to you but I'm a big fan of Collage in St Augustine. If you like European style restaurants, with a handful of tables and an intimate yet classy atmosphere - you should definitely try this one! The food is well above the average Jax / PVB restaurants - although that's not really a reference :-)

Must confess that we're Europeans and currently living between Paris and PVB and food / variety and quality of restaurants has been an area of significant adjustment for us - so we've been doing a lot of home cooking, Sushi places and weekend escapes to Charleston or NYC!

Collage has a mix of Mediteranean dishes, with a nice choice of starters, fish and meat. Nothing extremely innovating but every dish has a little twist and everything I tried tastes absolutely delicious. I particularly love the gambas al ajilo, the escargots and the lobster ravioli. It's also one of the few places where there is an option of having a seared piece of foie gras on top of your sirloin steak!

Another place I like is Ovinte at the Town Center, although I wouldn't rate food itself as high as at Collage. What I like here is the concept. You can stay on garden sofas outside and enjoy some "fusion-type" tapas and a glass of nice wine with friends (done that in spring though :-)). It's usually our pit stop after a shopping session.

You may also like Orsay in San Marco - it'd been recommended to me as the best French restaurant in Jacksonville - and although food tastes a bit different than in France, it does have a lot of the French classics (such as the mussels in white wine) and the best home made French fries I've found in the area (and I've been looking for a while :-)). To my shame, I have never managed to go to JJ's in PBV so I can not make a comparison.

These being said, I'll definitely try the Black Sheep - don't think I've ever been to Avondale but keep hearing about it. Seasons 52 is one of my favourites for business dinners so I kind of associate it with work... just as Ruths Chris.

Let me know if you know / try any of these, and what do you think about them!

Also, I've been spending some time on this forum lately researching anything from HOA fees and rental agreements clauses to health insurance and schooling, and I've found your posts spot on - so if you have more restaurants on your "favourites" please do share them with me - we're going to be moving to PVB for two years in September and we're prepared to give a second chance to local restaurants!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM

OK - since you're from Europe (where in Europe in addition to Paris?) - I'll have to qualify this thread somewhat. It's about restaurants in the JAX metro area - as compared with those in similar places - like most of Florida. Not compared with better or world class restaurants in world class cities. My husband and I have traveled a lot over the decades - and were probably what you'd call foodies today - before there was such a thing as foodies. For fine dining - we tend to travel. In the last 7 years or so - we've been to London - Paris - Berlin/Munich/Cologne - Stockholm - Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto - New York - Los Angeles - Chicago. This year we were in Toronto - and we'll be in Tokyo this fall. More Michelin stars than I can count on 10 fingers and 10 toes (times 2 or more). I can't compare the dining in these places with what we have here. And don't mean to.

FWIW - we were last in Charleston last year. The food there didn't "wow" me (not that it was bad - just overrated IMO).

Also - we don't want to drive a lot to go to dinner. If we're going to drive a bunch - it's usually for lunch combined with errands. So we have never been to "dinner only" places that are kind of far from us - like Collage or Orsay.

Like you - my husband and I learned to cook in self-defense after we moved here. Because the restaurant offerings in general simply aren't that good.

BTW - the TPC (open to the public) serves lobster ravioli. Don't know how it would compare with the same dish at Collage. Since you'll be in PVB - check out the TPC. The food isn't world class - but it's very convenient pleasant dining. Also - don't know whether you have kids - but it serves a bargain priced "Sunday supper" buffet style. Also serves a big deal Sunday brunch (in the winter) and a little deal Sunday brunch (in the summer). It also has various wine and other theme dinners during the year. As well as holiday events. You'd have to join for the latter 2 - but I think you can buy an annual social/dining membership for about $500 that includes something like a $300 food credit (as well as a 20% discount on food). So - if you hate it - worst is you'll be out $200 (assuming you use the food credit). Contact the TPC directly or DM me if you're interested - and I'll point you in the right direction (we have an annual golf membership there).

Finally - if you miss French cheese - you can order from fromages.com (although it can no longer ship raw cheese until it's old - and smells like ammonia ). Robyn

Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 PM

195 posts, read 321,132 times
in Avondale, - Restaurant Orsay
and at the beaches, - Ocean 60
and in St Augustine, - Gas Full Service Restaurant

Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 PM

We had a really good lunch at Azurea in Neptune Beach a few months back.

Also had good Cuban food at Mambo's in JAX Beach. Then it closed. Apparently - it has recently reopened. Robyn

Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 AM

222 posts, read 424,690 times
Newcomers to Jacksonville may initially be disappointed with the lack of dining options - as my husband and I were - that are not corporately-owned. Once we got to know the area and started exploring we found some independent restaurants with great food. Here are a few of our favorites:

Riverside: The Salty Fig - well worth the trip from other parts of the metro area. Creative food, much of it locally sourced.
Town Center Area - JJ's Bistro de Paris French Cuisine, French Wine | Ponte Vedra Beach, FL Sister restaurant to JJ's Liberty Bistro. Good French food, wines and an extensive selection of pastries and bakery products made in-house
Ponte Vedra along the Intracoastal: Palm Valley Fish Camp Palm Valley Fish Camp Small and usually crowded and noisy but great food.
Julington Creek area: Saucy Taco Saucy Taco Fresh food, craft beers, cheerful atmosphere

Like Robyn, I am a fan of Black Sheep. Haven't tried Collage yet but between legalaliens' review and those of my friends I am ready to give it a try.

Keep the recommendations coming; I'm sure there are other hidden gems out there that we haven't yet discovered.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM

195 posts, read 321,132 times
I tried Black Sheep last week and while it was good it wasn't great. (4 out of 5 stars)

But I did find;
KC Crave (5 out of 5 stars)
1161 Beach Blvd
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
last night and it was truly awesome!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,492,140 times
Is Saucy Taco really that good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville