Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times

Advertisements

No. But you're a bit off about South Florida. It is not anywhere like NYC - not even like a PORTION of NYC like the Lower East Side...but that's really unrealistic and kinda unfair. Florida is a mostly tourist state not mostly urban.

West Palm Beach for one has a downtown with some shopping. Less than 1% of NY.

We don't even have NY style pizza or real old school ethnic BAKERIES here! Florida is a couple hundred years younger than NY/Phila/Boston.

But you didn't define how much shopping or for WHAT?

Here's the directories and websites:

Businesses | WPBGO.com
Downtown West Palm Beach - Always Original

Store Directory :: All :: CityPlace :: West Palm Beach, FL
CityPlace :: 700 S. Rosemary Avenue, West Palm Beach, FL. 33401 :: 561.366.1000

There are more on this website about Palm Beach Explore The Palm Beaches Shopping Districts, like this area: Meet Us | Northwood Village

I'm from Philly and when my son got tired of Florida and wanted something more "city" he moved to downtown West Palm Beach.

You said you live in South Fl and then said you live in NYC so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM

195 posts, read 322,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You said you live in South Fl and then said you live in NYC so
Maybe he's geographically challenged?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
I find the shopping in Jacksonville to be somewhat sub-average. I mean how can a huge city (12th most populous in the US) not even have a Nordstoms or a Macys or even an Ikea?
People always complaining that Jax is so BIG. 12th or not, all the cities in numbers 1 through 11 have an average or high population density. The population density iin Jax is LOW. 1086 people per square mile.
//www.city-data.com/city/Jacksonville-Florida.html

I'm sure if the companies thought people would support the store they'd put one in.

Ikea? They are few and far between. Only about 30 in the entire country and Atlanta just got one a few years ago. Since then Florida has gotten THREE and one is in Orlando, not far from Jax. Also Tampa, FtLauderdale/Miami both average/high density cities.

There are only 9 Nordstroms in Fl and one is in Orlando. There are about 20 Macy's, the one in Vero is one level. Both of them have been CLOSING stores not opening them. There are Belks and Dillards is the Macy's type store here, and there are many more of them than the other two. There's also that St Augustine outlet of 80 stores that some people are into.

Macy's and Dillard's renew their success - Houston Chronicle

Every time I go to Belk or Dillards it's dead anyway.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Nordstrom is coming (it's under construction now):

Nordstrom coming to Jacksonville - Jacksonville Business Journal

Also a Nordstrom Rack in the shopping center next door to the Town Center.

As for ethnic bakeries - agreed - not so much. OTOH - Cinotti's (Jax Beach) does some old-fashioned ethnic Italian type of bakery things (Italian cheese cake - cookies - etc.). Robyn

Old 07-28-2013, 12:16 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
What about Worth Ave in South Florida? I haven't been but I always thought it was categorized as a "branded shopping district" like Mag Mile, 5th Ave, Rodeo Drive, etc.

For what it's worth, although I dislike much about the St Johns Town Center (from both a design and location standpoint) and also would clearly point out it doesn't have the same high-end retailers as the aforementioned shopping districts, I am pretty sure it does as well or better than any place in the Southeast. Revenue per square foot is through the roof, for retailers and restaurants alike. It's INSANE. Probably because it captures an unusually large share of the local market while also drawing in folks from a larger region. Whatever the reason though, it's been incredibly profitable for the developers.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:03 PM

I've been to Worth Avenue - multiple times. It's not a big deal IMO. Not that many stores. Might be ok for some people looking to buy in really high end shops (I once bought an Eres swimsuit there). But not worth a trip IMO. Robyn

Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Ah ic. But that's what it's supposed to be right? Really high end retail? So just not on the same grand magnitude as you might find elsewhere?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Actually - Worth Avenue has some very high end stuff - but also some crummier stuff that you wouldn't expect. FWIW - you can find a lot of the same/similar shopping places at the Mall at Millenia in Orlando (much closer to JAX).

Worth Avenue can't compare with Rodeo Drive - or 5th (or especially Madison) Avenue these days in terms of the sheer number of stores (or how big they are either). As for Mag Mile in Chicago - I don't know. The crime stuff in Chicago today gives me the creeps. Am not in a big hurry to go back. We'll be in Tokyo next month. Ginza there puts them all to shame . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville