Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 AM

51 posts, read 115,861 times

Advertisements

How unsafe is Springfield, really? Would you live there alone as a female?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 AM

375 posts, read 444,574 times
Since I am not female I can't speak to if I would live here alone. But my best friend, a 34 year old female with 2 daughters who herself was raised in Springfield back in the "bad days", She lives here with out a care. There are area's that are sketchy and that is true with any neighborhood. Within the Historic District I would say you would be as safe as you would be in pretty much any area of town. Neighbors as a rule are friendly and look out for each other. In your search for answers I will say if some one is giving you advice on the safety of Springfield, ask if they live here. If they don't, take what they say with a grain of salt. Most people that have a negative view of Springfield haven't been here in years if they ever have.

Check this local neighborhood forum and inquire with the same question. MySpringfield dot Org. I haven't figured out how to post hyperlinks yet

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM

705 posts, read 1,575,366 times
I will not comment on the Springfield Historic District proper, but I will just say it is very close to some of the worst neighborhoods in Jacksonville. We lead the state in murder rate year in and year out. If I were a single female, I would try to live somewhere else. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
No I wouldn't. And I'm a dog walker, walking all over metro downtown but didn't take Springfield in my service area. It was too far and too iffy. And I had no way of politely declining people that weren't in the optimum location. And by optimum that includes SAFE PARKING in a driveway because my policy is to NEVER park on the street no exceptions. I had plenty of nice people in nice houses contact me from there that I had to say no to - that it wasn't in my area even just because of the added time to the job going up there.

What's the point? Other than saving commute if you work downtown but you STILL have a "hike". It's not like there is some fantastic draw of being ultra walkable to great stores or entertainment or something. There are other rental communities with some in in the same price range contiguous to downtown.

If I were a married couple, wanting to buy a house at a reasonable cost, possibly a restoration and get in on the grass roots rebuilding of the area and community, maybe. But that's not what you asked.

I did used to go to the Three Layers Cafe in Springfield when I lived at The Strand.

You can even find a decent one bedroom WITH garage in Avondale on the main drag (St Johns Ave where the stores are) for $575. Can't get much cheaper than that and it's an excellent area. For singles, couples AND families.

Same thing in Riverside. Where you actually CAN walk to everything you'd need even if you didn't have a car. (If you live in Avondale there's no Publix or other everyday routine stores that you'd be able to get too by foot easily because it's a bit far from the central Riverside square/bank/etc)

When I first moved to Jax on a corporate relo, I HAD TO BE AT WORK every day ON TIME no exceptions or you get fired. So I chose The Strand because WORST CASE I could walk over the bridge or take the monorail to work if I had to. But it's not in everyone's budget. There's also The Carling and 11 EAst on the downtown side that would have worked for me...but I only had three days notice to find a place and didn't find out at the time. They are more affordable.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-28-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 03:39 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyChild View Post
My cousin is a single female and has lived in Springfield for quite a few years. I've been there many times at different times of day and parked on the street on in the alleyway behind. I've never felt unsafe in her part of Springfield. She's not far from Three Layers, and I've walked from her house to the coffeehouse during daylight and after dark.

Now, are all parts of Springfield like this? No. But just as any city or town has its areas that are safe and not so safe, so can be said of Springfield or Riverside or Orange Park or (fill in the blank).

Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I'm not a female, but it doesn't frighten me.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyChild View Post

There's many single women that live in SPR (short for the Springfield).

When most say they're moving to SPR, they mean the Springfield historic district. "New" or "North" Springfield to the north isn't the same neighborhood. Different quality-of-life.

I know a lot of people in the neighborhood, and the other in-town neighborhoods surrounding Downtown Jax, so send me a message if you'd like to get other single females contact info.

Check out www.myspringfield.org and www.sparcouncil.org for more info. Myspringfield.org is especially helpful, and has a discussion forum on there so you can see what residents are talking about, and post your question as well, if you like.

Or, if you like to read, there a bunch of news articles about the neighborhood here: Press & Media - SPAR Council

If you're looking for a rental (the good one's go fast) let me know, I'll point you in the right direction.

Last edited by fsu813; 07-29-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Time for some corrections....

No I wouldn't. And I'm a dog walker, walking all over metro downtown but didn't take Springfield in my service area. It was too far and too iffy. And I had no way of politely declining people that weren't in the optimum location. And by optimum that includes SAFE PARKING in a driveway because my policy is to NEVER park on the street no exceptions. I had plenty of nice people in nice houses contact me from there that I had to say no to - that it wasn't in my area even just because of the added time to the job going up there.

Luckily, there are dig sitters/walkers that don't mind parking on the curb. Hard to believe, huh. Most historic neighborhoods have a lot of curb parking, as the were created before auto-centric lifestyles.

What's the point? Other than saving commute if you work downtown but you STILL have a "hike". It's not like there is some fantastic draw of being ultra walkable to great stores or entertainment or something. There are other rental communities with some in in the same price range contiguous to downtown.

The neighborhood is very walkable. Small biz sprinkled about. Parks. Events. Etc. Not a "fanatastic draw" but pretty appealing. Also, Downtown and all it's amenities are, like, 1 mile away. A long walk, average jog, or short bike ride away. Also x 2, you can't get more of a central of a location in Jacksonville.

in Riverside. Where you actually CAN walk to everything you'd need even if you didn't have a car. (If you live in Avondale there's no Publix or other everyday routine stores that you'd be able to get too by foot easily because it's a bit far from the central Riverside square/bank/etc)

Riverside & Avondale are great. However, you can't "walk to everything" there unless you happen to live close to "everything". Much of the neighborhood is longer than walking distance away from it's main commercial hubs. There's no neighborhood in Jax where you can truly live car free without strain.

Last edited by fsu813; 07-29-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Luckily, there are dig sitters/walkers that don't mind parking on the curb. Hard to believe, huh. Most historic neighborhoods have a lot of curb parking, as the were created before auto-centric lifestyles.
I admire her self-promotion, if I ever start a company that needs a strong marketing presence, she's first on my list!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

The neighborhood is very walkable. Small biz sprinkled about. Parks. Events. Etc. Not a "fanatastic draw" but pretty appealing. Also, Downtown and all it's amenities are, like, 1 mile away. A long walk, average jog, or short bike ride away. Also x 2, you can't get more of a central of a location in Jacksonville.

in Riverside. Where you actually CAN walk to everything you'd need even if you didn't have a car. (If you live in Avondale there's no Publix or other everyday routine stores that you'd be able to get too by foot easily because it's a bit far from the central Riverside square/bank/etc)

Riverside & Avondale are great. However, you can't "walk to everything" there unless you happen to live close to "everything". Much of the neighborhood is longer than walking distance away from it's main commercial hubs. There's no neighborhood in Jax where you can truly live car free without strain.
Hilarious you rolling your eyes and "correcting" ME on opinions and business decisions I make about MY company. Yes it's called free enterprise, there's a good match for everyone, no reason to get sarcastic [again] about something you don't know anything about. Start your own business and then tell other people how to run theirs.

If you're going to quote me, do it in it's entirety. You certainly CAN "GET BY" Riverside and have everything "YOU NEED" without a car. People do it all the time, I know because I worked for them, including doing their food shopping if they didn't feel like taking public transportation to Publix down the road.

If someone needs more than a pharmacy, grocer, bank, dry cleaner, movie theater, pizza, bars restaunts, hairdresser, postal service, doctor, dentist and close hospital they better live at home. Or it's a "wants" list not a "needs" list. "Strain" LOL. Not being autocentric in Springfield is fine but being autocentric in Riverside is bad. Totally logical and consistant.

You don't NEED "Small biz sprinkled about. Parks. Events." to LIVE. Your argument is invalid and emotionally based.

You're telling the girl to live in Springfield and jog a mile to the Wynn Dixie [dumps] on Market OR 48th? ROFLMAO. When she can live right in the heart of Riverside EVEN paying 575 a month in some duplexes? Really. The endless pearl-clutching about Springfield is tired already.

Great objective advise there. the OP didn't even say they had no car, she asked if I WOULD LIVE THERE as a single woman and I answered.

JTA Downtown Map

Timely: From "A Springfield" message board:
Quote:

Lock your car doors

Postby Debbie [redacted] » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Just a reminder to lock your car doors. On the way to dinner with Leta and Chad last night, we stopped at 10th and Market at the stop sign and motioned to a guy standing there to go ahead and cross. I turned to speak to Leta, and suddenly heard Chad say whoa from the back seat. He leaned across and locked the back door just in time to prevent the guy from opening the door and getting in.

We assume he was perhaps high and meant no harm. For all I know he may have thought my motion meant "come on, I'll give you a ride. "

But just a reminder to be careful and keep your doors locked. Lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville