Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:47 AM

6 posts, read 5,260 times

Advertisements

Hi -
I am a Jacksonville native so I know the area very well (maybe to well ) . We just bought a home in the CO area of nocatee, we bought a resale at a great price ... did NOT want to build and could never build the home we bought for the price we paid ! My question is . I have an 11 year old son that will as of now be attending PVA next year for 6th grade. ( I will keep him in his Duval County school for the remainder of this year I’ll just make the drive , it’s woth it ) Are there any reszoneing rumors floating around ? Also my son has an IEP , I have heard that SJC schools are not great with IEP’s does anyone have any input ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 07:01 AM

77 posts, read 112,376 times
So far I have heard of no rezoning rumors.

As for the IEP, be prepared to do the advocating from day one. Present his teachers with the IEP. Do not expect them to have or read it. Stay on top of interventions and accommodations because they will not follow them if you do not advocate and communicate. I don't know about the school you are going to but I do know that some are better than others.

I can tell you the tone of things here is that IEP and 504 students slow things down and they aren't really tolerant. Test scores are very important and they will allow one to suffer to keep the others on track. It makes the parent's job really difficult to navigate the system.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 AM

Thank you —- his grades are all A’s and test scores are great it’s just some Social issues .. he has adhd and Is slightly on the spectrum ( very smart just socially behind ) currently zoned for palm Valley Academy...

Old 10-30-2018, 07:38 AM

77 posts, read 112,376 times
Do you take him to school or will you rely on the bus? I would suggest the former.

I really don't know about middle school. Mine are in 5th this year. I know the academies split the school well so they feel like they go to middle school and it is a different experience just like the separate schools. I think each school has a different culture, but we do suffer some bullying (sigh) at the elementary level. My son is also a (mostly) A student with high test scores, but struggles socially. He has OCD. He is an athlete and shines there and it helps, but he has trouble making true friends at school.

Honestly I think there is a lot of stress from the top down in our schools and it creates tension. I guess bullying is a strong word but that's what it equates to if you really break it down. There is so MUCH pressure for the schools to perform better each year and the administration puts the teachers through so much to push the students to perform. Kids feel it and it gets stressful for everyone creating a lot of tension. Again, each school is different. I have heard different things about a few of the other neighborhood elementary schools compared to mine.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:51 AM

I am hoping he will ride the bus next year from coastal oaks .. good news is he will have lots of time to get to know people before he is thrown in next year ... I am already stressing about it all .

Old 10-30-2018, 11:45 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octobersmoon View Post
So far I have heard of no rezoning rumors.

As for the IEP, be prepared to do the advocating from day one. Present his teachers with the IEP. Do not expect them to have or read it. Stay on top of interventions and accommodations because they will not follow them if you do not advocate and communicate. I don't know about the school you are going to but I do know that some are better than others.

I can tell you the tone of things here is that IEP and 504 students slow things down and they aren't really tolerant. Test scores are very important and they will allow one to suffer to keep the others on track. It makes the parent's job really difficult to navigate the system.

I agree 100% with the above post. It seems that with most ( not all schools ) schools in St Johns Co, if you’re kid has an IEP then you are ruining their bottom line.

Stay on top and be prepared to fight for your kid, It will be the only way he/she will get what they are entitled to.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:12 AM

Geez isn’t there anything positive about these schools ��*♀️

Old 10-31-2018, 10:21 AM

662 posts, read 868,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle2307 View Post
Geez isn’t there anything positive about these schools ��*♀️
yes..there aren't 3-4 fights per day, kids smoking pot in the bathrooms or behind the bleachers, girls making out with each other in the hallways, parents fighting each other at after school activities, multiple bomb threats (ok except you Bartram High), kids scared to go to school because they are bullied every day while teachers look the other way. Didn't the last Duval county SI take a job in Detroit? greener pastures in Detroit?

Anyway, no the schools aren't perfect but my kids are much happier leaving since we moved. I have one with a 504 and part of the comments are right. You do have to advocate and ask questions. The main thing I notice is my one kid (I have 3) has more homework and this is because some days he just doesn't get all his work done at school. Most of the teachers give minimal homework so school work becomes homework for ones that are a little behind. The teachers give plenty of opportunity to make up works and tests (some with small penalty eg-make up work has a max grade of 80%).

PVA is a new school so it requires a larger parent involvement early on to grow a culture. New PTA group, rule changes after trial and error. Parent involvement is key with new schools.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:55 AM

30 posts, read 48,083 times
PVA is awesome. The principal came over from Ocean Palms and is super well regarded. Your son is is going to be headed to a great school. Personally, I would have zero reservations sending my kids to PVA. (My daughter is at VRA and my son is now at Nease but was at VRA since it started up.) No schools are perfect, and you get pros and cons with academies. Take the advise above and advocate for your son with regard to his IEP. My son had one and wound up not really wanting it by the end anyway.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:00 PM

110 posts, read 146,629 times
Not in agreement that these things are not happening! They are and they are happening here just like they are everywhere. What gives schools great ratings these days are test scores, but don't be fooled into thinking that pot smoking, fights and bullying are not happening in SJC. They are. SJC is just really great at avoiding the media. BUT this stuff does happen everywhere. Do not rely on the schools to raise kids well. Get them involved in an activity that enjoy, be it sports or something else. Listen to them and talk with them - there are always going to be the handful of people anywhere that make it seem bad, but over all these schools are good and the communities are good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville