Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:17 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,670 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My family and I are going to be in the orange park area from August 22 through the 31st. We have two kids 12 and 7.

Any ideas on things we can do???? We are going to the Jacksonville zoo I love that place
But unfortunately we won't be able to do Disney this time around. We don't mind some travel time but we prefer to stay in the north....

Please help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,220 times
Adventure Landing at the beach has a water park.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM

146 posts, read 224,494 times
I have been hearing commercials for Wild Adventures up near Valdosta Ga. sounds like a fun day trip.
Wild Adventures

Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Have you taken the boat ride of the Okefenokee? Mind blowing and only an hour north of Jax.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
We have beaches here.

St. Augustine is a short ride away. Alligator farm might be cool for the kids.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
Hello everyone,
My family and I are going to be in the orange park area from August 22 through the 31st. We have two kids 12 and 7.

Any ideas on things we can do???? We are going to the Jacksonville zoo I love that place
But unfortunately we won't be able to do Disney this time around. We don't mind some travel time but we prefer to stay in the north....

Please help. Thank you!
The zoo is great. Here's some other kid-friendly things.

Riverside Arts Market (only on Saturdays) RIVERSIDE ARTS MARKET

You can also enjoy the Downtown Riverwalk, which it connects to, while you're there.

The Cummer Museum's kids section Art Connections | The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens

The Museum of Science & History (MOSH) is geared towards kids Museum of Science & History | Jacksonville, Florida

The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) has a cool kid's section </title> </head> <body> </body> </html><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en"> <head> <title>ArtExpl

Springfield Disc Golf Course (bring your own Frisbee) Springfield DGC in Jacksonville, FL - Disc Golf Course Review

Old 08-19-2013, 09:37 PM

336 posts, read 449,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderkinder View Post
I have been hearing commercials for Wild Adventures up near Valdosta Ga. sounds like a fun day trip.
Wild Adventures

Yes, but that's almost as far from Jax as Disney is. And no where near as nice.

Last edited by JaxBlueMan; 08-19-2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The zoo is great. Here's some other kid-friendly things.

Riverside Arts Market (only on Saturdays) RIVERSIDE ARTS MARKET

You can also enjoy the Downtown Riverwalk, which it connects to, while you're there.

The Cummer Museum's kids section Art Connections | The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens

The Museum of Science & History (MOSH) is geared towards kids Museum of Science & History | Jacksonville, Florida

The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) has a cool kid's section </title> </head> <body> </body> </html><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en"> <head> <title>ArtExpl

Springfield Disc Golf Course (bring your own Frisbee) Springfield DGC in Jacksonville, FL - Disc Golf Course Review
OK, the above will take care of Saturday morning, from about 9:00am-12:00pm. What then? (just kidding FSU)

I second the zoo, the MOSH, and the alligator farm. Add to those......

St Augustine. You could spend the entire week here, and never get bored.

The beach. Any one will do.

Try deep sea fishing for half a day, on a party boat. (some are geared to families)

Tubing down the ichetucknee
https://www.google.com/search?q=iche...w=1024&bih=456

Kayak at Talbot State park. Take the Mayport ferry, to get there. Have lunch at Singleton's, in Mayport.
Jacksonville FL kayak ecotours Amelia Island guided kayak tours

Fernandina Beach, and Ft Clinch. Every kid loves a fort.

Go to the Orange Park High vs Ridgeview High football game, at OPHS, on Friday Aug 30. Local arch rivals square off, to kick off the football season. Nothing like football in the South.

Take them to Latitude 30, or Dave & Busters, one day.

If you haven't already, take the kids to Whitey's fish camp, right there in Orange Park. It's a local legend.

And most of all, where ever you decide to go, avoid at all costs having to cross the Buckman Bridge, between the hours of 7:00am-9:30am, and 4:00pm, 7:00pm.

Last edited by JaxBlueMan; 08-19-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 AM

146 posts, read 224,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
Yes, but that's almost as far from Jax as Disney is. And no where near as nice.
I have never been to Disney World or Wild Adventures, so I'm really not sure how far away they are. But after looking at prices online and seeing that you can get a family of 6 into Wild Adventure for the same price as 2 people costs to get into Disney for a day.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderkinder View Post
I have never been to Disney World or Wild Adventures, so I'm really not sure how far away they are. But after looking at prices online and seeing that you can get a family of 6 into Wild Adventure for the same price as 2 people costs to get into Disney for a day.

True, Disney isn't cheap, but with all the admission coupons and deals that are readily available, few people actually pay list price.

Regardless, I've been to both of these parks, and there's definitely a reason why Disney is so much more popular, in spite of the cost difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville