Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,625 times

Advertisements

I have researched the area a bit but to be honest don't have a lot of time to look online at the moment.

I am going to be visiting soon and would be very greatful if someone could kind of give me a heads up as to what are the Nicer areas (to live), Some info on the Schools (Highschools) etc. Also just kind of give me a little hint as to what life in Jacksonville is like.

I don't have a lot of money but I don't want to live in the ghetto either!

Can anyone help? Please let me know!
Jeff
TheSkateChurch@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
Are you looking to rent or buy? Different areas are better for one or the other.

What is your budget?

Do you like areas that are more urban, suburban, rural, beach?

Old 11-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Jax

108 posts, read 638,846 times
For high schools, check out living in St. Johns County, just south of Jacksonville. Bartram Springs is a great high school, and since it's grown so much, another high school is in the works for our county. We live in Julington Creek Plantation, and the schools are good around here. If you have kids in high school, be careful about most of the Duval County schools (encompasses most of Jacksonville), although Mandarin High School might be OK. You may be fine out in Orange Park (west of the city), too, as that is a different school district (Clay County).

Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
For high schools, check out living in St. Johns County, just south of Jacksonville. Bartram Springs is a great high school, and since it's grown so much, another high school is in the works for our county. We live in Julington Creek Plantation, and the schools are good around here. If you have kids in high school, be careful about most of the Duval County schools (encompasses most of Jacksonville), although Mandarin High School might be OK. You may be fine out in Orange Park (west of the city), too, as that is a different school district (Clay County).
Mandarin is quite good. It's been rated A for years, but this past year dropped to a B - as did Bartram Springs - so I guess you could consider them equal, at least as far as FCAT ratings.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 AM

5 posts, read 30,159 times
SCJeffro - There is a big difference in "not a lot of money" for Bakersfield compared to Jacksonville. What's your dollar amount for housing per month?
Aside from mountain vistas, nearly year-round sunshine, low humidity, absence of blood-sucking-insects, quick drive to the ski slopes or the desert or the lowest and highest elevations in the contiguous United States or .... , Jacksonville and the LA area are pretty similar. The commute is better here though - you can get across town in the time it takes to get onto an LA interstate. There is an incredibly larger number of churches here and they're much bigger on average. There are also an incredibly larger number of strip-joints. The water temp at the beaches are warmer and the pace of life can be much slower without risk of being left behind. The number of people involved in outdoor recreation is non-existent in comparison to LA. Even on the beach everyone mostly sits, eats, and drinks. Jacksonville is on the move though; with immigration from the northern states and the hurricane weary arriving from south Florida it's becoming more diverse and vibrant. Because of the St Johns' River there is probably as much river front property here as in any other city. St Augustine to the south is the oldest city in the United States. Savannah, Georgia is a little city to the north where you can still feel the presence of the old south.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:27 AM

133 posts, read 526,706 times
Talking Bakersfield give you Tularamia, Jacksonville gives you the World!

Having mis-spent my "Hippie" youth moving all around Bakersfield, Fresburg, SFO, Hollywood and LA, I can speak to this pretty well.

Bakersfield has 110-115 degree summer days, with farm dust, allergys and critters that carry "Tularamia". The pavement can heat to the point where it gets soft and REALLY can burn your feet. If you own a black sedan, stay out of Bakersfield in the Summer. The beach is 3-4 hours away and the water colder then a witches tit's in a brass bra. Some escape can be found in the nearby mountains, to the South, as you crest the summit, you start to see the gray haze of Los Angeles, To the West, are miles and miles of pool table flat valley, followed by low coastal mountains that are mostly treeless. To the East, there are some beautiful places to go, only on a really hot weekend, the entire population of Southern California is already there. Now Bakersfield does have it's good sides, it's modern, has great transit, Amtrak service we only dream about, and for California, low prices.

How do I stack this to Jacksonville? Well, we CAN have an occasional 100 degree day in July or August, but more likely in the 90's. Those of us that live near the Intercoastal or Beaches, would see that same day in the 80's.
The sand at the beach, the river or the lakes can get really hot too, so wear your sandals. (Oh, and when it get's in your toes, no matter where you go for the rest of your life, you'll always return to Florida). The water at the beach is warm, even in the winter, it doesn't get like that in California. In Jacksonville we have the best of both worlds, a City larger then San Francisco, yet the ability to be out of town within 15-30 minutes in ANY direction. To the East, we have the Atlantic ocean, and you choice of Big Talbot, Little Talbot, Huegonot, Jetties, Catherine Hanna, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach, or Ponte Vedra Beach... All different, and all within the City Limits or metro area. If you love rivers, just imagine the Sacramento River delta on steroids. Fishing? Boating? Canoes? You have a choice within the metro of the mighty St. Johns River, Intercoastal Waterway, San Pablo River, Clapboard Creek, Dunns Creek, Broward River, Arlington River, Big and Little Pottsburg Creek, Trout River, Moncrief Creek, Ortega River, Cedar River, Cedar Creek, Goodbys Lake (creek), and Julington Creek...any one of which you COULD take a boat on. Just how big a boat depends on which of the rivers you are on, but I'd have to say anything between an Aircraft Carrier (which are based here too) to a Canoe.

To the North is Nassau County, miles and miles of pine trees and wilderness, hunting, fishing, and Fernandina Beach...Not just another beach, but a cute little port village with a massive Civil War Fort, and all of the charm of a Mini-Monterey. WITHOUT THE PRICES! A little farther up the road is the Okeefenokee an endless wilderness swamp on top of the Eastern Continental Divide...a swamp on a hill? YES! Parks, canoe and airboats, rentals and camping rival some of the Sierra Nevada.

To the West, the land falls off into miles of flat pine woods, highway 90 is a great way to see it from Lake City to West Jacksonville. Just outside of Lake City on the Jacksonville side is Olustee. If you are a history buff, this was the scene of the largest battle of the Civil War in Florida. A battle in which the famous 54Th Mass, of the movie "Glory" fought in, and which ended in a near slaughter of the United States Troops. There is a small museum and a nice trail system. This area is peppered with small towns and quaint mom and pop type "old South" businesses. West or North of Lake City is some of the best camping and paddling in the nation.

To the Southwest, Highway 21 climbs "Trail Ridge", this 200 foot high rise, is home to Middleburg. South of there is Camp Blanding, a highland scrub of on and off military action. If your military or retired, Camp Blanding has a PX/BX and sometimes allows visitors into it's pristine sandy bottom swimming lakes. Otherwise, Kingsley lake is being re-re-zoned back into a beach, watch for an opening in the summer of 08. To the South Keystone Heights, home of the "Keystone Cops" (and YES that REALLY IS their dress uniform!) Keystone is known for low land prices and a look of some remote old world lake resort. The ground here is full of lakes. For a slower or more artistic pace check out the historic village of Penny Farms, once a retirement village for pastors and JC Penny's workers, today homes do sometimes come on the market here...This is "Florida BOOM circa 1925" and the only thing that has changed is the date on the postmarks. If you love farms and progressive small towns take a good look at Starke. One of the States Strawberry capitals, and a tiny town quickly becoming CITY.

Southeast, St. Augustine. Let's see, the USA is 231 years old, and St. Augustine is pushing 444 years old... Castles? Cobblestone? The rattle of armor? Streets 4 feet wide? It's all here and it's not Disney or plastic. New jet service now connects St. Augustine with the rest of the nation, and the Old City is flexing it's muscle as one of the fastest growing urban areas in the World. Malls, neighborhoods, and pristine beaches make this a destination on many tourist maps, kind of funny because SOME OF US LIVE HERE!

So, we now have 2 commercial passenger airports in the Jacksonville area, add two more if you count small commuter planes and air freight. We have a much complained about transportation system, but it's undergoing major changes. Our Bus network ranks as the 66 largest in North America. Our downtown monorail has potential, if it's ever finished. Cost of housing will cause sticker shock in reverse from California. Jacksonville is on the move, watch us, CITY-No Limits.... and no Tularamia!

Ocklawaha

Old 12-09-2007, 10:47 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,962,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocklawaha View Post

To the Southwest, Highway 21 climbs "Trail Ridge", this 200 foot high rise, is home to Middleburg. South of there is Camp Blanding, a highland scrub of on and off military action. If your military or retired, Camp Blanding has a PX/BX and sometimes allows visitors into it's pristine sandy bottom swimming lakes. Otherwise, Kingsley lake is being re-re-zoned back into a beach, watch for an opening in the summer of 08. To the South Keystone Heights, home of the "Keystone Cops" (and YES that REALLY IS their dress uniform!) Keystone is known for low land prices and a look of some remote old world lake resort. The ground here is full of lakes. For a slower or more artistic pace check out the historic village of Penny Farms, once a retirement village for pastors and JC Penny's workers, today homes do sometimes come on the market here...This is "Florida BOOM circa 1925" and the only thing that has changed is the date on the postmarks. If you love farms and progressive small towns take a good look at Starke. One of the States Strawberry capitals, and a tiny town quickly becoming CITY.

Ocklawaha
I really enjoy this type of local historical trivia, next time I'm out that way I'll take a closer look at things

Old 12-09-2007, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,479 times
I myself would like more info on Jacksonville. I live in MA, family in Ocala area, which I do not care for. We are looking for a vibrant, "walkable" downtown area, preferably one with residential areas within walking distance. Did fly into St. Augustine last Jan. and spent the day there before going down to Ocala and I loved it. Reminds me of where I live now without the weather! Housing wise we are looking to spend in the area of $300-350K, wd prefer a more historic type of home, does not have to be large. Are we totally out of range for what we want? p.s. - no kids, so schools not an issue. Thanks

Old 12-18-2007, 11:17 AM

133 posts, read 526,706 times
Talking Downtown Jax.

Hey Y'all: Downtown? I'll try the trivia-history-news route on that one too. Jacksonville is a lot older then some give it credit for. While the "incorportated City" dates from the early 1800's, there was constant settlement here since one year BEFORE St. Augustine was founded! That would make us 445? years old? But you won't find those buildings except in St. Augustine. Downtown Jacksonville is almost ALL NEW. the Waterfront is stunning, and with some argument as a World Traveler, I'd say one of the most beautiful Skylines on the globe. Downtown is split by the St. Johns River, and it's a big deep waterway that sometimes sees ships tied up at the Riverwalk. Riverwalk itself is on both sides of the river and growing by the day. Talk about walkable places, OMG, we are into MILES now. The walk has features of history, markers, photos, fountains, art, museums and shops. The Northbank has the Jacksonville Landing, an urban riverfront entertainment-mall complex that is about to get a lot bigger. In the heart of the Business district it is still pretty much a 9-5 M-F City, and the sidewalks roll up at sunset. But that too is changing fast. New shops, "Starbucks" type places, both branded and mom and pop. Dance, clubs and bars are springing to life along Bay Street. A huge new Theater-Hotel-Retail complex is going in near the classic old Union Terminal. Current home of the Convention Center. I say current, because that too is in flux, with several ideas on the books for waterfront or hi-rise centers. While you won't find any Tea Party type history here, you will see action. A new Maritime or Naval museum and ship is planned for the Riverwalk as well.

Those neighborhoods you spoke of? Springfield, a slowly re-claimed old area of one time big money homes - turned ghetto - turned Yuppie. Down on the Southwest bank of the River is the new Brooklyn redevelopment community which is a "town center" type place near the TOWN CENTER. Riverside is old and has the upscale 5-Points bars and clubs scene 24-7. Those that have not found the life in downtown haven't found 5-Points or across the river in San Marco. Classic award winning homes running from downtown down each side of the river through Brooklyn-5 Points-Riverside-Avondale (don't miss the old shops)-Fairfax and Ortega. Down the East side through San Marco and San Jose. Any one of these communities should give you all the urban charm of San Francisco's famous scenes... Without the cable cars.

See you on the Riverwalk..

Ocklawaha

Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,407 times
Ocklawaha for mayor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville