Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 PM

7 posts, read 32,203 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville-Ponte Vedra-relo for retirement??
I live in suburban dc, retired from the Justice dept recently and am thinking of relocating to the beach area of Jacksonville, like Ponte vedra, maybe Atlantic B. I'm in my early 60's but active in golf , camping and other stuff. My 3 kids are grown.
Would probably rent a 2 bedroom apt first or 1+den, and if i liked area would but a condo..I want to be fairly close walking distance to beach---is that possible for under $1000 month in pv in a nice apt community?? are there 1-2 br condos very close to beach also, and what is price range for a nice community?? also, would like to have supermarket within walking distance..is that and the proximity to the beach as well asking too much?? any recommendations appreciated

several other questions for any one who would like to chip in:
1. Is the area welcome to newcomer singles in my age group??

2. For any one who has had the xperience moving to this are in retirement as a single, any thing you would like to share, in terms of activities, and benefits [I am a guy] would be appreciated.

3. How is public golf [the prices on the net look reasonable--are the courses nice?? I have a small travel trailer, which i tow with my suv, so anyone who would like to add anything on camping in fla, also appreciated...
Thanks to all

Julian Greenspun
Gaithersburg, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 02:30 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,648 times
Hi Julian, and welcome to this board.

First of all - Atlantic Beach (East) and Ponte Vedra Beach are both great locations. AB is one of the most charming neighborhoods I can imagine. Walk to beach is easy, but walk to shopping may be a bit difficult unless you live in its southern most area with the shops around the Town Center.
The only smaller rentals that I can think of are the Seaplace condominiums. They are old (built by famous Jacksonville architect William Morgan in the 60s) but well maintained as it seems and very close to the beach (second row behind the oceanfront condos The Cloisters). Some rent for about $1,000 a month, maybe less when longterm.

As for Ponte Vedra Beach - there are condos in your price range too. Problem in PVB is: apart from the Summer House subdivision (shuttle to the beach and rather easy walk to the Sawgrass Shopping Village) and The Colony (at Corona Rd and A1A, no easy walk to shopping as far as I recall), the condos in your price range are west of A1A. When you want a relatively easy walk to the beach, you have to choose one that is close to Solana or Corona as these roads are the only ones that connect A1A with the Boulevard.
The newer condo developments near Micklers Landing (public beach access) or the older ones closer to the beach are either too large or too expensive - mostly both.

If you want to search the web, look for zip codes 32233 (Atlantic Beach, but look east of Seminole/ Selva Marina Drive only) and 32082 for Ponte Vedra Beach (east of the Intracoastal). You should also make an extended visit and consult a realtor of one of the major Real Estate companies there. Some serve the area since the 1930s. Stockton, for instance, has a very large rental inventory.

As for your other questions.
1. I think your age fits perfectly.
2. Don't know as we are not yet living there.
3. DH plays as well, there are a lot of public courses to choose from. He always books via Golf Courses & Tee Times - Online Golf Community & Social Networking - Earn Golf Rewards - LastMinuteGolfer.com.
4. Sorry, no idea.

Nevertheless, hope this helps.

Connie

Last edited by CBB; 11-15-2007 at 02:40 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 AM

121 posts, read 785,903 times
Default Care to disagree about Atlantic Beach PV Beach

Heavy traffic. Very expensive property that, quite frankly isn't worth it. Junky development and congestion everywhere except for a miniscule town center. One public golf course at Jacksonville Beach that is just OK. Near the Navy base which is NOT a positive. Much higher crime.

The best alternative to this is Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. Beautiful town fully restored. Nice shops. Low crime. Friendly. Traffic is 1/10 the volume as in Atlantic Beach and Ponte Vedra. Costs of property is not as hyped, but still quite high. Fernandina Beach Golf Club is public and 27 holes:

Fernandina Beach, FL - Fernandina Beach Golf Club - A breath of fresh air for Florida golfers

The best public golf in this area is at Amelia and nearby Jekyll Island (1+ hrs drive). I played competitive HS golf in this area. Jekyll has 45 holes including the historic seaside links course on the ocean. So thats 72 holes of great golf in exceptional condition. Numerous coffee shops on Amelia: very friendly and its very easy to meet people. Palace saloon and other town watering holes are fun, friendly and not overrun. Great dining with a pub at Brett's right at the Marina downtown.You can actually find an easy parking space and walk to everything.

Want to go high end? There's the Ritz Carlton and the Amelia Island Plantation.

I grew up in Jacksonville. My parents had their honeymoon at the Ponte Vedra Club just after WW II. Believe me when I say this: what they have done to the beaches in Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra is unconscionable. This area could have been nice, (as nice as Amelia Island, Sea Island, and St, Simons Island), but it is now overrun with ugly development and traffic. The life has been squeezed out of this area.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:38 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalo View Post
The best alternative to this is Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. Beautiful town fully restored. Nice shops. Low crime. Friendly. Traffic is 1/10 the volume as in Atlantic Beach and Ponte Vedra.
Fernandina/Amelia is very nice, but the OP is single and looking for other singles - Fernandina/Amelia is just too small of a population and not enough going on.

Once he finds that special someone, it would make a great weekend getaway though .

Old 11-16-2007, 07:31 AM

121 posts, read 785,903 times
You will find more available singles your age on Centre St. Fernandina coffeeshops and pubs than in some meatmarket pickup bar somewhere in Jax. They come here on vac or live here. Drive this area yourself and spend a few days. See for yourself. People are accessible and comfortable here.

Here's an image of a typical Friday night on Centre St. in late May (browse for more images of downtown):

Centre Street FB 011 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/archi_tect_us/515403892 - broken link)

Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville