Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:57 PM

18 posts, read 56,794 times

Advertisements

Southside = sprawl Hell

Mandarin is a drab inner ring suburb

Check out abovementioned crime statistics page, since both have good areas and bad areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 PM

65 posts, read 256,743 times
I live on the Southside area and appreciate the proximity to convenience - we are a mile or so from Publix and restaurants and the like; it is close to my job and school, but I do enjoy the atmosphere of San Marco and Riverside and would probably move there if I weren't in school. I've had no problems crime-wise, though, on the Southside. When I went to Five Points (which is in the Riverside area, or next to it? - I'm still not too familiar with the whole of Jax) for a show, when I came out, there was a guy on the sidewalk who I think was asking for money (whom I ignored, does that make me a bad person?) and THEN, even creepier, some guy was knocking on the window of my car trying to talk to me!

Ohhh man, I don't do well in those situations.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toops View Post
Five Points (which is in the Riverside area, or next to it? - I'm still not too familiar with the whole of Jax) for a show, when I came out, there was a guy on the sidewalk who I think was asking for money (whom I ignored, does that make me a bad person?)[/font]
Yup, Five Points is a part of Riverside, and nope, I would not say you are a bad person for not giving money to a panhandler.

The general advice from the police and the homeless advocates is to not give money directly to panhandlers. I follow that advice almost always with few exceptions (I do buy bottled ice water from a vet who sells them for a dollar - I consider him working ).

Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,828 times
In terms of people asking for money, I think you should give them something. I am sure they get plenty of cold shoulders, so if you don't give money at least give them a smile and a conversation.

And if it is daytime, ask them what they need the money for, and if you feel they are sincere go buy the item for them and bring it back to them. Of course, if they ask for cigarettes, alcohol, rubbing alcohol, etc..... A red light should go off and you need to talk to them/encourage them about their priorities. Also, during the whole process talk to them about how they plan to get off the streets. Give them full encouragement that there is some way for them to get back on their feet. The world needs more saints and fewer cold shoulders. (I am not saying you are a bad person toops...especially late at night you need to be safe...and I too am guilty of the cold shoulder so many times.....but I think you and I can go out of our comfort zone sometimes and be very surprised of what we are capable of!!) I know why the police say what they say....it is smart to not give them money....but it is also smart to give them something....time, smiles, and an encouraging conversation.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon2007 View Post
Hi there! First of all, I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this Jacksonville forum...there is a wealth of information for people who already reside in the town, as well as those considering a relocation to the area.

This is my first post and I am here as a "transplant." My husband and I will be relocating up to Jacksonville next month for his new job. We currently live in the Treasure Coast area of Florida. His job will be in the southside area by the Avenues Mall. We have been looking at rental homes (we unfortunately need to sell our home down here before buying) in the Riverside and Southside area, as well as San Marco and Mandarin area. Ideally, we would like to find a safe area as we are expecting our first baby later this winter, and a place not too far from husband's work. Riverside has attracted our attention due to it's historical area. Is the area near Friendship Park considered safe? We would love to hear opinions from those who have had living experiences in either the Riverside or Southside (or Mandarin or San Marco) areas. Jacksonville is such a spreadout town that it can be a bit overwhelming knowing where to settle down.

Also, there was a previous post with a link to the Sherriff's Office and you could input an address to view crime in the area. I have searched for this link (I knew I should have written it down when I first saw it!), and have been unsuccessful. I have visited the SO website and could only locate crime statistics by area code...not by physical address. Does anyone know this link? Thank you in advance for your opinions and help....sorry this post is long!
Hi
Some outsider info.
I was traveling from Manderin to Riverside the last 5 days to visit my daughterinlaw in hospital (my first grand daughter was born!), St. Vincents in Riverside and I fell in love with the area. What a quaint area, to be able to walk to Publix, Starbucks, shops and be able to see the water at any given time to me is wonderful.
I am from south florida and will probably relocate to Jax in the next 5 years and i am already checking out real estate in the riverside area....nothing compared to Mandarin............boring and suburban...like where I live now..hope this helps from an outsiders view..

Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 PM

159 posts, read 655,826 times
Southside very near Avenues Mall here. Avenues Mall exit off I-95. I love it. There are some brand new condo's just under the overpass that are leasing on Paradise Island and apartments tucked away behind Southside Blvd. Map the area and see what you can find. My apt complex is having move-in specials. You can dm me for info if you like.

Lyndee

Old 12-10-2013, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,572 times
I am looking for a good place to stay in Jacksonville, Florida. I want a good school for my last two children 6 and 11 yrs.old.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,572 times
Can anybody help me out? I really need help with this.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM

20 posts, read 42,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhone12 View Post
I am looking for a good place to stay in Jacksonville, Florida. I want a good school for my last two children 6 and 11 yrs.old.
Jacksonville has some great magnet schools. Applications for the lottery should be happening in January. J. Allen Axson is a wonderful magnet Montessori school.

As for regular school ratings, I like Great Schools.

If you're talking about in Southside, I lived near Twin Lakes…and it was OK, but not great. There was a new HS built though right near there which was lovely.

For the OP…one thing to consider about Riverside is flooding. Friends lived there and that was an issue.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:51 AM

705 posts, read 1,574,926 times
Basically, we're talking convenience vs. character here. Your choice. I've lived in both and they are both great areas for different reasons.

Both are relatively safe, especially if you're careful, which you should be. I would recommend an alarm system in either area, but no place is completely safe these days. I would guess Riverside probably has a shade more crime, but it's a more walkable, active area and thus more personal interaction and opportunities for crime. Anecdotally, we lived in Riverside for a year and a half without incident and have lived in the Southside (near Beach and Kernan) for 3 years and just had a break-in 2 Mondays ago.

I would tend to advise you toward Riverside. The commute shouldn't be too bad and overall, it could be the best neighborhood in JAX. Good luck with your decision either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville