Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:19 PM

77 posts, read 103,521 times

Advertisements

I am actively looking to move on from my current firm and start somewhere new. Just when I think I have my final list of jobs/locations, another one pops up. I just interviewed in Chicago on Friday. I head to Cincinnati for an interview a week from today. Getting another offer from a firm in Philly. I had also been talking to a firm with an opp in Louisville, but they just filled that position (although they really like me so are looking to see if I'm a fit for another office). And then, Jacksonville just got added to the mix today.

I went to college in central FL and have been visiting FL since I was younger, so I'm very familiar with FL in general. I have not been to Jacksonville before though. I am a late 20's single female professional and I own my own home in a walkable suburb in Upstate NY.

Based on the following info, could you please make recommendations on areas to focus on for me to live?
- Office is north of 295 near the airport. Would like commute no more than 30min
- I would need at least a 2BR place, max rent around $1500. I hate apartment complexes. Would probably be looking at renting a single family home, but am fine with flats, townhouses, etc
- I have 3 small dogs, so having a fenced in yard would be ideal. At a minimum, would need grassy areas or parks nearby
- Highly prefer to live in a walkable area. Not necessarily city/urban. I know Florida in general tends to be more sprawling especially in suburb areas. I like having things within walking distance - shops, groceries, pubs, etc.
- Being within walking/biking distance to the beach would be a bonus, but not required.

Any areas you think I should focus on? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Jacksonville is 850 sq miles. The beach is at LEAST 30ish miles/minutes from the Airport. That leaves ALOT of territory in between. You've seen the map, right? If you want to live in the middle-ish, go for Avondale, Riverside or San Marco. All contiguous to downtown. But there is no grocery store in walking distance in San Marco or Avondale. Riverside is probably your best bet, and close to downtown where other cultural events happen like the Jazzfest and Art thingy they have on Wednesdays etc. Riverside has everything you'd need even if you didn't own a car. Just sayin'. Even the best haircut I ever had at Hair Peace. And I'm from Philly! The do Deva dry cut perfectly and that's not easy to come by.

Riverside would get you a very nice rental in your range. So would the high rises on the South bank where I lived but nothing is really walkable from there as far as everyday living goes.

Then again, if you chose the beach, you would not be involved in the whole downtown thing at all and avoid it but you are pushing commuting limits and may regret not having quick access to those things that downtown/metro like Riverside offers. You'd have to come here and see if it's for you. Given your terminology "pubs" and "flats" I have a feeling what you think of with "pub" is much different than you would get in a traditional suburb shopping center. Unless you include chain "pubs" restaurants. So you sound like Riverside to me. It's a little bit BoHo.

Also I assume your job does not require going downtown for whatever it is you do and you will be working out of that airport location during the day. If you are a lawyer going to court, for example, you will be going downtown.

Hair Peace - Riverside - Jacksonville, FL

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-14-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM

375 posts, read 444,489 times
The Northside has exploded in the last decade and there is a ton of single family minutes from the area your work is located. A lot of shoping very close to the Airport, theater, plenty of places to eat. Not a lot of night spots other than local bars. But out there is not really walkable.
Riverside, Avondale, San Marco and Springfield are all Historic Districts and pretty much surround Downtown. They are your best bet for walkable neighborhoods though as mentioned above, Grocery shopping will be the an issue.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahette View Post
I am actively looking to move on from my current firm and start somewhere new. Just when I think I have my final list of jobs/locations, another one pops up. I just interviewed in Chicago on Friday. I head to Cincinnati for an interview a week from today. Getting another offer from a firm in Philly. I had also been talking to a firm with an opp in Louisville, but they just filled that position (although they really like me so are looking to see if I'm a fit for another office). And then, Jacksonville just got added to the mix today.

I went to college in central FL and have been visiting FL since I was younger, so I'm very familiar with FL in general. I have not been to Jacksonville before though. I am a late 20's single female professional and I own my own home in a walkable suburb in Upstate NY.

Based on the following info, could you please make recommendations on areas to focus on for me to live?
- Office is north of 295 near the airport. Would like commute no more than 30min
- I would need at least a 2BR place, max rent around $1500. I hate apartment complexes. Would probably be looking at renting a single family home, but am fine with flats, townhouses, etc
- I have 3 small dogs, so having a fenced in yard would be ideal. At a minimum, would need grassy areas or parks nearby
- Highly prefer to live in a walkable area. Not necessarily city/urban. I know Florida in general tends to be more sprawling especially in suburb areas. I like having things within walking distance - shops, groceries, pubs, etc.
- Being within walking/biking distance to the beach would be a bonus, but not required.

Any areas you think I should focus on? Thanks!!
"Walkable areas" are: Riverside, Avondale, Murray Hill, Springfield, Downtown, San Marco, Deerwood Lakes, Tapestry Park, St Johns Town Center, Jax Beach, Neptune Beach. They all have restaurants, stores and residential in close proximity. But for a convenient grocery store, you're pretty much limited to the Publix in Riverside (Riverside Market Square) and the Publix at Deerwood Lakes.

Knowing that you have three dogs and hate apartment complexes, I'd suggest you look into Riverside, Avondale, Murray Hill, Springfield, San Marco, Jax Beach, Neptune Beach. The ones with the most amenities would be Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Jax Beach and Neptune Beach. These five are all 25-30 minutes from the airport without traffic. All are within your price range, though dog friendly will be more limiting.

One other interesting option is Fernandina Beach (or Amelia Island)...it's about 50 minutes north of Jacksonville, but only 30 minutes from the airport. Fernandina Beach is a very charming, beautiful, walkable beach town which might suit you well. But you'd be much farther from Jacksonville which does have some big city amenities that FB doesn't have.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 AM

Thanks everyone!! I was doing some research last night and had thought Riverside/Avondale would be right up my alley, so good to know that's what you all think as well I definitely gravitate towards areas that are big on small/locally-owned type places. I describe myself as "a neighborhood bar kind of chick" if that makes any sense For housing, I love old, historic, unique, charming types of places... I do not need bells and whistles at all (in fact, I would prefer no bells and whistles). I know the 3 dogs is always the biggest challenge, but it hasn't ever prevented me from finding housing... just takes a little bit longer. I've been looking on Craigslist and seems I can definitely find what I'm looking for in the Riverside area. I will take a look at the other ones mentioned as well.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM

Something like this would be absolutely perfect - Spacious Riverside Home

Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 AM

146 posts, read 224,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahette View Post
Something like this would be absolutely perfect - Spacious Riverside Home
Not really in Riverside and not in a real desireable area ... IMO

Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderkinder View Post
Not really in Riverside and not in a real desireable area ... IMO
I really just meant the house itself - size, price, wood floors, fenced in yard, etc. I'll continue doing my research. I just formally submitted on the job so not sure when/how the interview process will work with them yet.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 AM

178 posts, read 328,562 times
We currently live in Riverside - Five Points - where you can walk to almost everything and the airport is about 20 minutes away. There are a couple of parks and a new dog park in the works; lots of restaurants/bars; a Publix market (one is coming to San Marco also); a natural foods market, Grass Roots, and even a cinema - privately owned - that has a lot going on. The area you posted is not a desirable area although the home is adorable. Use Google earth for a good look around the neighborhoods. There are mixed areas everywhere but some are better than others.

You might contact some local Realtors too and visit www.metrojacksonville.com and check out the 'neighborhoods' link.

Good luck. Jacksonville is a huge area and like all cities, has its good and its not so good places to live.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Craiglist AND realtors always keyword spam: "Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Downtown." Also there's a broker with the name San Marco in it so they always show up but they don't really specialize in San Marco proper. AND that listing is not even Riverside-ish 32204 it has an Avondale zip code 32205. The zips you want are 32204,32205,32207,32202. Stay east of Roosevelt, too.

Yes that is classic Avondale/Riverside housing. The style is quite modest and there is extensive architectural variety there especially in Avondale. There's a rich history of that in Riverside/Avondale from early last century. It looks nice. The neighborhoods you want are CLOSER to the River. To use the dartboard theory.

To generalize, close to Post is always iffy. (there are "two" Posts on on either side of Roosevelt) East of Park is always better. This small "complex" (not really a complex just three connected sections) is directly next door to all the shopping etc however, the three dogs? Prolly not. It's at the high end of your range but really nice and quiet on the river and I think they just renovated. I almost moved there but the common areas had annoying "potpourri" fragrance and I'm allergic - but I didn't notice that in the past two years. ARound the corner is a small street called River BLVD with some private owners renovated large historic single houses turned into duplexes with signs on the lawns all the time. I almost rented there but the guy insisted I didn't need screens.

Bell Riverside - Apartments for Rent in Jacksonville, FL | About Us
WHOOPS - I just looked - NO DOGS - sorry!

WORST case scenario if you accept an offer quickly you can do short term leasing and pay a tad more even in a high rise. I'm assuming your dogs are balanced and don't BARK. You may be stuck for options.

As an out of town relo, with three days to acquire housing I ended up in The Strand and it was a great choice. But I don't even think you're allowed 3 dogs like you are other high rises over the bridge downtown like The Carling or 11 East. JSYK none of the three are walking distance to life's stuff. The downtown ones can make you feel like you're in a sketchy place because Jax doesn't have a large downtown living population so it should be your last choice, IMO. But it's perfectly OK, I worked for plenty of professionals there. (dog walker/pet sitter LOL- but I moved from Jax this year). The Berkman downtown is gorgeous (condos) but NOTHING walkable, again. Avoid Metro Lofts - outdoor parking down the block and sketchy for a single female. Especially one who has to walk dogs.

Riverside has the things you touched on...like restaurants with outside seating etc.

And as a homeowner, I bet a private owner would SNAP you UP three dogs or not. I had a lady tell me she was keeping her duplex's rent high "to keep Riverside riff raff out" LOL and when she heard I owned my condo here and a business she decreased the rent by 200.00 but I still didn't take it.

I think you can sign up with Riverside realtors to get their updated listings. I hesitate to say the name because I dont think it's permitted here. Just google it.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-15-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville