Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 AM

87 posts, read 205,459 times

Advertisements

I'm a former Floridian, currently living in NC. Had lived in Orlando and then Fort Myers for 12 years prior to moving to NC. I had gotten sick of the heat and lack of quality jobs in the areas I was living. I thought I'd like NC much better, but it's been ok and not all I was expecting. We still vacation in Florida at least once a year (mostly to Disney). Are we crazy to be considering a move back to FL? I would never want to live as far south as we previously were (way too hot and humid) and Orlando is just too touristy. What is Jacksonville like? Where I'm at in NC has more of a southern feel to it and I've heard Jax is pretty similar and less touristy. Though I hear crime is a major issue down there.

Enlighten me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Crime is a major issue anywhere if you live where the crime is. JAX gets a really bad rap on that for some reason.... there's crime in every city. IMO, JAX is not nearly as hot as the rest of Florida, and being near the water, is generally cooler than many major cities farther north in the heart of the summer. In the "winter" it gets cold at times, enough to feel like it's not eternal summer like Miami, or even Orlando, so I like that. The average high in the "winter" is somewhere in the low 60's, but we have our fair share or days in the high 40's/low 50's in Jan/Feb. It's around 75-80 and beautiful for the vast majority of the year.

What's your budget for a house and what are you looking for in your neighborhood?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. Weather there sounds perfect. Where we were in Southwest Florida was so miserable. The humidity and never ending 90+ degree days were tough.
I understand crime is mostly only a problem in certain areas, as it is here in Charlotte NC. Though I grew up in D.C. were crime was significantly higher than any other place I've lived, so I'm not too worried about crime in Jax.
As for houses, we'd be looking in the 200k range. We're both working professionals, so at least one of us would have to have a job lined up before moving.
What are some of the safer and nicer areas? We don't mind living a bit outside of the city. What are some good areas I should start looking in to? (Some place that isn't all cookie cutter homes).

Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM

5,128 posts, read 6,123,485 times
About Amelia Island | Amelia Island | Best Florida Destinations

Old 12-09-2013, 11:45 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
I can add to the above
Consider the laid back oldest city in America St Augustine where 200k will find you a good home but the downside is there are little to no jobs unless you are in the tourist industry so you will have to as many do commute to Jax
The upside is we do not have the crime of Jax and far less population.
We have a small town feel invaded by tourists on public holidays but that is where the money comes from
Also unlike Sth Fl this is not a seasonal town for snowbirds with a Northern attitude!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM

374 posts, read 833,700 times
Consider going down to Jax for several long weekends to get the feel.....

It'll give you a whole new outlook on North Carolina driving back up 95 with Jacksonville in the rear view.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 AM

232 posts, read 573,744 times
You guys must live somewhere else from May through September, because it's almost always upper 80s to mid 90s with high humidity in Jacksonville.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post

It'll give you a whole new outlook on North Carolina driving back up 95 with Jacksonville in the rear view.

Not quite sure what you mean by this...

Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post
You guys must live somewhere else from May through September, because it's almost always upper 80s to mid 90s with high humidity in Jacksonville.

Not much different from Charlotte NC. In April/May we are alrady in the 80s and by June it's 90s straight through September too.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM

285 posts, read 606,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post

I'm trying to figure this one out too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville