Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:32 AM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville is a vastly different type of city from those I have spent much time in. LA, Chicago, Boston, San Diego, San Francisco and NY all have urban cores that are vibrant. I can walk around in those cities and pretty much there are endless things to do and transportation to take me there..........the density is compact and built out to the burbs.

After spending 24 plus years in this area we have found many gems......but the density outward here in Jacksonville is sparse and sketchy........the Historic Springfield area is transitioning and great but you do have to drive through so not so nice areas to get there as with much of Jacksonville. This is what many people see their first visit to Jacksonville......and unfortunately it leaves a lasting impression.

Jacksonville let many of its corporate offices flock to the southside and with Saint Johns County so close and the standings of its schools it is a no brainer that the suburbs are so popular. You can't fight the logic. Now we see Jacksonville offering incentives for those business's to move back downtown

They say first impressions are the most important and unfortunately Jacksonvilles welcome mat is not shiny and bright and that is what many people here on this board take away with them when they visit.

I do not consider a 60 million plus scoreboard as a way of bringing Jacksonville into the limelight.......heck it did not help us get a future bowl championship.

In closing.......MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you here on the Jacksonville board......and here's to wishing a brighter future for Jacksonville in 2014

Last edited by JBtwinz; 12-21-2013 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 06:50 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Renting an apartment or house for 6 months or less may be difficult because, as I understand the legal rules, any rental 6 months or less is considered a vacation or hotel rental and landlords must pay a hotel tax and other state-regulated fees. So, I think to avoid that nuisance, many landlords only offer 7 months as the shortest lease. There are short-term rentals/leases, but you'll pay more because of the extra fees and taxes. I've found that even the 7-month leases are more expensive than a one-year lease because the landlord mindset is longevity of tenant.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:08 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley615 View Post

I'm not sure you have noticed but motor people here typically disagree with you.
That says a lot about the general population of Jax.

Most haven't heard of the mobility fee, Alex Coley, Peter Rummell, or know what the Civic Council is, or what DIA stands for, either.

Can't help ignorance, only point it out.

There are more informed Jacksonville forums out there where my "opinion" is common. : )

Enjoy Googling those items & people above, in the meantime I'm happy to lend my opinion to those that want informed advice.

Cheers.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 17,474 times
Sorry for the late response. Looks like I've missed quite a ton here. Was busy packing to Jacksonville Finally, we've settled in an apartment in Southside (signed a 7 month lease) and also ended up in a good school (as per greatschools.org). Now once I get in there and start getting into the reality, we plan to buy a house. We have actually started looking out for one already and now have come down to 2 areas, Nocatee and Durbin crossing. Both appear to be good but I sense a lot of hype about Nocatee. Not sure if it worth all the hype though Any insights here? Also I do see some nice homes near crossroads - St johns pkwy and Longleaf pine pkwy. There are also some new contructions with pretty good sqft here. Is this a nice area?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavikish View Post
Sorry for the late response. Looks like I've missed quite a ton here. Was busy packing to Jacksonville Finally, we've settled in an apartment in Southside (signed a 7 month lease) and also ended up in a good school (as per greatschools.org). Now once I get in there and start getting into the reality, we plan to buy a house. We have actually started looking out for one already and now have come down to 2 areas, Nocatee and Durbin crossing. Both appear to be good but I sense a lot of hype about Nocatee. Not sure if it worth all the hype though Any insights here? Also I do see some nice homes near crossroads - St johns pkwy and Longleaf pine pkwy. There are also some new contructions with pretty good sqft here. Is this a nice area?
St Johns Pkwy @ LongLeaf is Durbin Crossing. Just across St Johns Pkwy is St Johns Forest if you are talking about those. That's pretty much built out, very few lots left, but I believe Taylor Morrison is shoving some small houses in the back, and ICI has a few bigger lots left on the water, but want a hefty price for them.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:53 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
kavikish -- welcome to Jacksonville!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville