Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,101 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving my family and printing business to Jacksonville, doesn't anybody know a good area to start?

I need some advise I don't know anything about Jacksonville, FL, just what I see online. need my office to be on a main strip like US 1 or if somebody can suggest please by all means go ahead.
Once I know where to open the business than I can rent nearby.

My business does really well on The Treasure Coast now but I need a bigger market, I have a presence online.

Can someone help give me some Ideas, also I don't have children just myself my wife and two small dogs!!

Last edited by samross; 12-29-2013 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: misspell the word good in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,070,120 times
Honestly I don't know too much about the industry to give you solid advice, but I can say that:
1) There's a pretty large printing company named Drummond Press. Owner/President John Falconetti seems like a nice fellow and is married to Olympian Shannon Miller...they recently expanded into the Atlanta market by acquiring several companies and facilities in the area. Point is, there is room for growth in the industry.
2) There are several companies all in the same couple of blocks just north of Powers Ave and University Blvd. There probably are dozens of printers throughout the city, but these several next to each other stand out to me since I've picked up orders from many of them over the years.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,920,246 times
Like projectmaximus, I also don't know much about the industry. However, my curiosity was sparked by your post -- what would I do in your shoes?

Since your business is currently doing well somewhere in the Melbourne to Stuart area, I think perhaps you should first look at your customer base there, and then with research see if the Jacksonville area offers the same "well". If so, where is this "well" located? I would then do a little more research and see if that particular area is either saturated with competition or printing companies are sparse.

Your desire to be on a main strip begs a couple of questions: is location important for high visibility or for ease of accessibility or both? does your business currently piggyback with other businesses in close proximity and your customer base is built upon walk-ins when they are conducting business nearby? I think maybe you could determine what other errands your customers might be doing and then research Jacksonville to see where those other businesses are located. For example, if you have a nearby UPS Store now, do your customers go there before or after visiting your business? If yes, then you could look for UPS Stores in Jacksonville and add that to your customer "well" research to start narrowing down a potentially good location.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Ok thanks for the tips, I am looking to cover all the cities with my service just like I do now, I will do a direct mailing to all the city businesses and attract them that way.
But I need a high visibility and ease of accessibility, like to open in a city with a high concentration of businesses and then I will find a place to rent nearby so my office is close.
I get business from all over the state of Florida but I need to establish myself in a nice good clean city in a nice neighborhood.
I will keep a lot of my clients that I have now because a lot work with us through email and I drop ship their materials to them or they come by and pickup.
Right now my place is on a strip with a lot of businesses but people travel from other close cities to use our services.
I been researching online but need some direction, I am going to visit Jacksonville on weekends but where do I start or can you suggest. Does US 1 run through any good areas ?
Give me some ideas once I settle, my marketing techniques will take over and I will do the rest.
Thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 AM

One more thing I am looking for a road, highway or street that has small mom and pop businesses. doctors, salons, restaurants,
contractors etc.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM

What do you think about Florida 5 hwy? I am looking at it on Google Maps it looks like a long hwy with a lot of stores,
does it run through some nice areas to run a business and live?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samross View Post
One more thing I am looking for a road, highway or street that has small mom and pop businesses. doctors, salons, restaurants,
contractors etc.
In my opinion, you will find many of these kinds of locations. We have more than our share of strip malls with these types of businesses everywhere.

I'm guessing you'd rather lease than buy, and although this link (copy and paste into a browser) is a list of spaces for sale, I think it might be helpful to you to see the different locations Jacksonville has.
loopnet.com/Florida/Jacksonville_Shopping-Centers-For-Sale/.

Because you need a spot to at least start the search, maybe begin with Southside. You could look on any of the east-west roadways east of the river such as Baymeadows, Butler, Beach, Atlantic OR any of the north-south roadways Hendricks, San Jose, Philips (Rt 1), University, Southside Blvd ... there are many roadways with the types of locations you're seeking. You don't have to focus on Rt. 1 because you'll find prospects with high visibility and accessibility on the other roadways, too.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samross View Post
What do you think about Florida 5 hwy? I am looking at it on Google Maps it looks like a long hwy with a lot of stores,
does it run through some nice areas to run a business and live?
I'm laughing at myself -- I have no idea where FL Hwy 5 is ... I'm guessing you're looking at Main St (also numbered Hwy 17) and/or Phillips (aka Rt. 1)?

If so, and like many of the other roadways I mentioned, you'll find all kinds of "flavors" from one end to the other. Yes, there are nice parts and yes there are some not-so-nice parts.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Wow your great if you come up with any other ideas let me know. Its the same problem I had when I moved from New York to Fl I had no idea, I wish ten years ago I would landed somewhere else in Fl.
Don't get me wrong where I live is nice but I believe the market will be better in Jax it has more businesses and people.

Happy New Year see you in Jacksonville I'll let you know when I open will give you a discount if you need!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:27 PM

375 posts, read 441,121 times
One Question I had was what size building do you want? I know you said you are in a strip now. Is that what you want here or do you need something bigger, say small ware house with a store front?

I am with mawipafl in figuring out where State Rd 5 runs. I am known by my friends as a human GPS but that one had me scratching my head That being said, I found it and mawipafl is correct. North of the St Johns at Downtown it is Main St/US17 and south of Downtown it is Phillips Hwy/US1 Both are main roads through Jacksonville and are very busy traffic wise. I would think it is busier on the Southside especially south of University Blvd. The Northside is kind of the last frontier and as of the last few years has exploded in growth but is still lagging behind the Southside especially the area around the Avenues Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville