Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM

705 posts, read 1,566,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
My 10 cents worth is if I was ill and a possible cure or pain relief was "pot" I would take it so why should it not be legally available by prescription only
Right. I agree. People who oppose medical marijuana will point out that there haven't been enough studies done on marijuana. However, there is a TON of anecdotal data by the millions of people worldwide that use marijuana recreationally or for medicinal purposes over a period of decades. I'd say from personal experience and what I've heard or read that marijuana's side effects are no worse than many other legal drugs both prescription or "over the counter".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 PM

814 posts, read 2,033,327 times
The federal government has been growing weed since 1968 for approved research studies and also dispensing it to a select group of 30 patients for over 30 years. The weed is grown at the university of Mississippi. the feds quit accepting new patients and discontinued the program in 1991. even so still to this day the feds grow it and distribute to those remaining in the program.

University of Mississippi, Federally Funded Marijuana Farm | A Greener Country

Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 PM

11,054 posts, read 10,611,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The FDA doesn't do testing - but the federal government is involved in various clinical trials:

Learn About Clinical Studies - ClinicalTrials.gov

Note that I didn't work for the FDA - I was a lawyer in private practice who represented a pharma company in the USSC (briefs and argument). I've never been a low level flunky type.

I don't think I'm naive at all. I'm old and retired. And part of the 1%. Which is why I really don't care.

If you and others in the 99% think that any of this will make your lives or the lives of your children better - be my guest. But - so far - no one has given me one reason why legalizing pot will make anyone's life better (except perhaps in some medical situations where the medical verdict isn't in yet). FWIW - however old you are - you are almost certainly younger than I am - and probably not retired either.

And I don't think you read me right at all. I don't think all people who use drugs are losers. Just that people who think it's an important issue don't have any concept of what's important. Also - I never used the word "evil" or anything like it. Although I do believe that using drugs will in general make people less employable. Which would seem to be an important consideration today for the majority of people who have to work for a living.

To me - in all honesty - this is a "bread and circuses" thing. Keep the middle class masses amused with their phones - stoned on their drugs - etc. - so they don't think about where they are (or where they might be going). Generations younger than mine are screwed if they don't think bigger than this. Robyn
Actually, the medical marijuana question is part of a much larger issue, which is the BILLIONS of dollars that we waste every year on the so-called war on drugs. Is it the only issue that should be considered? Not by a long shot. However, it's definitely an issue worth thinking about. I see medical marijuana as a small step toward alleviating the financial hemorrhage. Quite frankly, I'd prefer to jump ahead to making marijuana legal for recreational use as well, but instead we'll have to take the baby steps and do the medical version first.

It really comes down to the fact that the government is prohibiting U.S. citizens from possessing a plant. Not only prohibiting it, but wasting a fortune on enforcing that prohibition. And they still aren't able to keep it off the streets or out of the possession of anyone who wants to get hold of it.

Look at it logically. If you were paying an individual or company to do something such as pest control and they not only failed miserably at it but wanted you to keep funneling money into their coffers so that they could continue with their failed plan, you'd fire them and move on. But, everyone who supports the continued prohibition of marijuana is doing exactly that with the federal government's war on drugs. They keep spending the money, and you all keep cheering for them and saying, "They'll fix it, they just need more time." News flash, they've had over three quarters of a century to figure it out and marijuana use is more widespread today than it ever has been. Cue the "definition of insanity" quote. Perhaps it's time to come up with a new plan that doesn't involve wasting $billions$ and destroying families over a plant that is relatively harmless compared to the legal substances which are doled out to the masses by doctors every day.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,888,052 times
Quote:
What in terms of your personal life exeriences leads you to believe it's the "right thing"? Robyn
See below. Abvagjoe pretty much covers it.
I also agree with JimRom about the waste of humanity, time and money during our War on Drugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Right. I agree. People who oppose medical marijuana will point out that there haven't been enough studies done on marijuana. However, there is a TON of anecdotal data by the millions of people worldwide that use marijuana recreationally or for medicinal purposes over a period of decades. I'd say from personal experience and what I've heard or read that marijuana's side effects are no worse than many other legal drugs both prescription or "over the counter".

Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,873,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
I don't know if she is saying that...but I am, as I stated earlier in thread. If you're so proud of yourself for toking, post your name and picture...you're on the clock.
And I'm saying to you--like I did to her--you're totally off-base.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,873,421 times
Quote:
The FDA doesn't do testing - but the federal government is involved in various clinical trials:

Learn About Clinical Studies - ClinicalTrials.gov

Note that I didn't work for the FDA - I was a lawyer in private practice who represented a pharma company in the USSC (briefs and argument). I've never been a low level flunky type.

I don't think I'm naive at all. I'm old and retired. And part of the 1%. Which is why I really don't care.

If you and others in the 99% think that any of this will make your lives or the lives of your children better - be my guest. But - so far - no one has given me one reason why legalizing pot will make anyone's life better (except perhaps in some medical situations where the medical verdict isn't in yet). FWIW - however old you are - you are almost certainly younger than I am - and probably not retired either.

And I don't think you read me right at all. I don't think all people who use drugs are losers. Just that people who think it's an important issue don't have any concept of what's important. Also - I never used the word "evil" or anything like it. Although I do believe that using drugs will in general make people less employable. Which would seem to be an important consideration today for the majority of people who have to work for a living.

To me - in all honesty - this is a "bread and circuses" thing. Keep the middle class masses amused with their phones - stoned on their drugs - etc. - so they don't think about where they are (or where they might be going). Generations younger than mine are screwed if they don't think bigger than this. Robyn
You're missing the point. So many BAD things have come out of it being criminalized--you being an attorney should know this better than any of us. So many people behind bars for no good reason. We--as a country--spend BILLIONS of dollars in, "the war against drugs," but a fraction of that (I don't know the number but I know its not much) actually trying to HELP people. That is doing way more harm to our society and children than making marijuana legal.

I'm pretty sure I read you correctly. You typed:

"Just wait until you or other young people can't get or keep jobs because you're stoners. Or your kids are stoners and you can't even get them out of bed in the morning to go to school. Or your daughter winds up knocked up/with HIV because she kind of lost control one night with a relative stranger."

I'm not sure how else to take that. You are way too smart of a person (judging from your posts around here) for you to have not known what you were typing or trying to say. That pretty much says people who do marijuana are stoners who can't do anything and (you added) girls will get knocked up because of it. That is absolutely naive or (at least) ill-informed.

And clinical trials are far from testing a drug for its uses and for approval as a drug. Not nearly the same thing. Also, there are no clinical trials being done on marijuana and its potential uses as a drug. You have asserted is has no uses as a potential drug for treatment of any kinds of problems. I have asserted there is no way to know this because the government won't allow anyone to try.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 633,076 times
let democracy decide instead of special interest funded politicians.

I personally would never use recreational drugs but in a country that allows so many other drugs it seems very hypocritical to ban a plant.

The "problem" with young peoples perception is that they have no respect for hypocritical laws so its kinda a must if we ever want Americas youth to respect the country.

Remember after legalization usage statistics will soar, not because more people are using the drug but because more people will ADMIT to using it after the stigma is lifted.

If the government asks you if you are committing a crime like using marijuana how many people are going to admit to it?

something tells me you may get some dishonest reply's when you ask someone if they have committed a crime.

Statistically its safer to swim with great white sharks and wrestle bears than it is to take a shower, since more people are killed slipping in the shower than by swimming with white sharks and wrestling bears.

NEVER trust statistics, they are WAY to easy to manipulate.

Last edited by Boer; 01-29-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM

1,031 posts, read 633,076 times

Best Marijuana Documentary you will ever watch! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville