Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 PM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere.

Looking to compile a list of local restaurants that's been in JAX for a long period of time.
Any type of cuisine, location, price range. Any place you've been eating for the past 5, 10, 30 years? What's their specialty and must haves? You know, things of that nature.

Been watching too much food network shows that showcases all those neat local foodies, but it boggles my tummy that non are in JAX ( and we're one of the largest cities?). Do we have anything like that here? Place that truly represents.

Thanks in advance. If the list grows [hopefully] long, I'll summarize it in the first post for easier look up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM

272 posts, read 1,000,988 times
The Loop (although they have expanded, they originated in Jax). Great Burgers.
Also for the best Meatball Sub (IMO) is Pizza Italian in 5 Points.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere.

Looking to compile a list of local restaurants that's been in JAX for a long period of time.
Any type of cuisine, location, price range. Any place you've been eating for the past 5, 10, 30 years? What's their specialty and must haves? You know, things of that nature.

Been watching too much food network shows that showcases all those neat local foodies, but it boggles my tummy that non are in JAX ( and we're one of the largest cities?). Do we have anything like that here? Place that truly represents.

Thanks in advance. If the list grows [hopefully] long, I'll summarize it in the first post for easier look up.
food is not a strong point in JAX, and many of us are newcomers ourselves so it is hard ( for me ) to get a handle on this. I can reccommend Bistro AIX and Matthew's in San Marco, and Adiamo's in PVB, I hear there are some worthwhile places in JAX Beach but I don't get out much

Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
I have been eating breakfast at Players Cafe in Ponte Vedra for over 10 years.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,116 times
Biscotti's and The Casbah in Avondale.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,520 times
hooters, applebees, chilis.....I would be willing to bet that over 50% of the population here has been eating at these "local" hotspots for the last 5 years.

Seriously though, only been here two months, so I can't make any comments about long time favorites. This is a good idea though and am looking forward to the results. It seems to me that Clark's Fish Camp is somewhere that the Food Network would show up at!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
hooters, applebees, chilis.....I would be willing to bet that over 50% of the population here has been eating at these "local" hotspots for the last 5 years.

Seriously though, only been here two months, so I can't make any comments about long time favorites. This is a good idea though and am looking forward to the results. It seems to me that Clark's Fish Camp is somewhere that the Food Network would show up at!
ha ha, took the words right out of my mouth. there were a couple favorites back when i lived there. an italian place on university by bennett road comes to mind, but i can't recall what it was called...

Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 41,671 times
I checked this thread to be sure Pizza Italian in 5 points was mentioned and there it was in the first post. I've been going there 28 years All the food is great! Garlic bread to die for...and it keeps coming hot from Gus's kitchen. Gus is from Greece... his Greek salad with plenty of feta cheese... No one leaves hungry... usually a doggie bag is gripped tight. Prices are very low... This is one of Jacksonvilles hidden treasures...

Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Giovanni's has been around for 30 years:

http://www.giovannirestaurant.com/history.html

Ragtimes has been around for 20 years:
(coconut shrimp and red brick ale )

http://www.ragtimetavern.com/index.php?pg=about

Old 11-30-2007, 07:10 AM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Giovanni's has been around for 30 years:

The complete history of Giovanni's Bar & Grill

Ragtimes has been around for 20 years:
(coconut shrimp and red brick ale )

RAGTIME - restaurants

Ragtimes was great! didn't know they've been here for that long.

love the description of Giovanni, "fry cry from the Giovanni's of 1972." I want to eat the menu from 30 years ago lol.

keep the list coming folks! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville