Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:37 PM

705 posts, read 1,574,570 times

Advertisements

JEA has an existing 150' air rights easement on the back of my property where there are high tension power lines. Now, they want another 10' x 167' underground easement to put a sewer line or something. They are willing to pay $1000 for it. Should I just accept it or is it worth more? Should I negotiate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 02:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Always, always, always negotiate.

Should something go wrong with their infrastructure, many men and equipment will be on your property of X amount of time tromping around.

That's worth a helluva lot more than a grand.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Sewer line - or something? What's the something? What's the nature of the sewer line? Is it a line to a couple of houses - or a whole subdivision? Or ???? Robyn

Old 02-15-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Sewer line - or something? What's the something? What's the nature of the sewer line? Is it a line to a couple of houses - or a whole subdivision? Or ???? Robyn
I received a letter, a legal desciption of the area, and a sketch in the mail and none of it describes exactly what the line is for. The lawyer is supposed to mail me some forms to sign. Maybe there will be more info in the contract?

Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
How wide is your property? Will that 10' be missed, as in, will it prevent you from installing a pool or structure in that area at some point in the future? Will a future buyer of your property see that easement in a bad light?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
I received a letter, a legal desciption of the area, and a sketch in the mail and none of it describes exactly what the line is for. The lawyer is supposed to mail me some forms to sign. Maybe there will be more info in the contract?
I would want more info in the contract if I were in your position. Robyn

Old 02-15-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
How wide is your property? Will that 10' be missed, as in, will it prevent you from installing a pool or structure in that area at some point in the future? Will a future buyer of your property see that easement in a bad light?
My house backs up to JEA high tension power lines. Technically, I own a piece of the land under them approximately 167' by 150'. JEA currently only has the air rights. Now they want to dig a trench and put a pipe across the back of the easement, parallel to the power lines. This wouldn't affect my use of the property in any way as it's already inaccessible due to the power lines and a fence I have around my back yard along the front of the current easement.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,416 times
I am probably in the same subdivision that you are in, but I have a lot more property that they want and they have offered me the same price that they offered you which makes no sense. I am going to call JEA's real estate division and see exactly what the situation is. I think this guy may be getting in the middle of the deal and low balling us and keeping the difference.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurgh View Post
I am probably in the same subdivision that you are in, but I have a lot more property that they want and they have offered me the same price that they offered you which makes no sense. I am going to call JEA's real estate division and see exactly what the situation is. I think this guy may be getting in the middle of the deal and low balling us and keeping the difference.
It seems very difficult to put a specific dollar value on something like this. After talking to my neighbor, who said he was taking the $1000, a few other people and doing a little research on the internet, I told the guy I wanted $2500. $1000 seemed too low to me. Just waiting to hear back.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,416 times
I just got off of the phone with JEA. I spoke with Jordan Pope in their real estate division. JEA is not the one buying the easements on our properties. The developer of the Tamaya community east of Kernan is the one who must purchase our property. They will purchase it and put in the sewer line that they MUST have for their new community. JEA will maintain the easement once the utilities are in place. JEA won't even be putting in the sewer lines. It will be a subcontractor of the Tamaya developer. I definitely would not settle for the 1,000.00. We don't know when or for how long the heavy equipment will be back there doing the sewer line. We don't know what days of the week they will be working or what times of the day they will be working. This is a multi-million dollar development that needs our property to become functional. I think we definitely have room to negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville