Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner81 View Post
Hi! I moved here from DC about a year ago and live in a south bank condo. In DC I walked everywhere. All my friends loved to walk and I always felt safe because people were out and about. Jacksonville is a ghost town not a city. I don't even feel safe walking my dog past sun down. People are not bike or pedestrian friendly and would run you over if they wouldn't get caught. It's definitely a "I want to spend as much of my life as possible driving my car" type place. Even in my building I get looked at like I am crazy if I suggest walking two blocks. I have been told never to run alone so now I run on a treadmill. I used to run all the time in DC. It's a different world here and just not for me. Just thought I would add my two cents since I know where you are coming from.
Have you looked at/tried the Riverwalk on the north bank? I don't know exactly how far it goes - or what kind of shape it's in overall - but I see quite a few people walking/running/bike riding there when we're downtown (mostly during the day on weekends).

Jacksonville Riverwalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner813679754
Hi! I moved here from DC about a year ago and live in a south bank condo. In DC I walked everywhere. All my friends loved to walk and I always felt safe because people were out and about. Jacksonville is a ghost town not a city. I don't even feel safe walking my dog past sun down. People are not bike or pedestrian friendly and would run you over if they wouldn't get caught. It's definitely a "I want to spend as much of my life as possible driving my car" type place. Even in my building I get looked at like I am crazy if I suggest walking two blocks. I have been told never to run alone so now I run on a treadmill. I used to run all the time in DC. It's a different world here and just not for me. Just thought I would add my two cents since I know
Unless you live in Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Springfield, or Downtown proper, it's all driving all the time. The afore mentioned neighborhoods embrace walkability/bikeability. The rest of Jax? Not so much.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Unless you live in Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Springfield, or Downtown proper, it's all driving all the time. The afore mentioned neighborhoods embrace walkability/bikeability. The rest of Jax? Not so much.
So are you saying the south bank is <thumbs down>? I would think it is so close to the areas you mention that if they're ok - it would be ok too. Robyn

Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
So are you saying the south bank is <thumbs down>? I would think it is so close to the areas you mention that if they're ok - it would be ok too. Robyn
It's semi-ok. As you say, proximity to walkable areas is high. But from a design perspective it comprises isolated towers that are set far back from the street. And that street itself has been designated as a BRT corridor by JTA with the intention of moving "express buses" through the area at a high rate rather than catering to pedestrian travel. It's just no good for the person at street level. But yes...very close to the few walkable parts of Jax.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
It's semi-ok. As you say, proximity to walkable areas is high. But from a design perspective it comprises isolated towers that are set far back from the street. And that street itself has been designated as a BRT corridor by JTA with the intention of moving "express buses" through the area at a high rate rather than catering to pedestrian travel. It's just no good for the person at street level. But yes...very close to the few walkable parts of Jax.
Interesting - although it sounds less than fabulous. Thanks. Robyn

Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 7,026 times
[quote=Runner81;33679754]Hi! I moved here from DC about a year ago and live in a south bank condo. In DC I walked everywhere. All my friends loved to walk and I always felt safe because people were out and about. Jacksonville is a ghost town not a city. I don't even feel safe walking my dog past sun down. People are not bike or pedestrian friendly and would run you over if they wouldn't get caught. It's definitely a "I want to spend as much of my life as possible driving my car" type place. Even in my building I get looked at like I am crazy if I suggest walking two blocks. I have been told never to run alone so now I run on a treadmill. I used to run all the time in DC. It's a different world here and just not for me. Just thought I would add my two cents since I know where you are coming from.

Wow, well I'm hoping that based on your message, daytime walking/ biking is at least ok. I may have to lean more towards biking here but better than being in a car. It would just be a shame to pull out the car to drive half a mile in broad daylight!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj View Post
Hello all,

I am new to Jax from DC and currently live in Orange Park with my hubs. It has been a bit of a culture/lifestyle shock to ay the least.
We will be moving to Southbank soon and I have a few questions.

1) How safe generally and for walking/biking is the area between the Southbank going towards san marco?

2) I see the walk on the Acosta to Riverside (which I like) is only 2 miles. Is this a safe. doable, common path for people to walk. Like could I walk from the Southbank to Riverside or would that be weird? Especially as a female, could I do this on my own

3) I will be working at Baptist which is 0.7 miles away if not less. It would be great to walk/bike but the area between the highrises on the southbank and the hospital doesn't quite seem walkable for its sketchiness. Anyone have any insight on this.
I am a city girl and it takes a lot to daunt me but at the same time I know walking in most of Jax is not really a "thing" and common sense is king.

Thanks in advance!
YOU ARE MAKING A Great choice!!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj View Post
Hello all,

I am new to Jax from DC and currently live in Orange Park with my hubs. It has been a bit of a culture/lifestyle shock to ay the least.
We will be moving to Southbank soon and I have a few questions.

1) How safe generally and for walking/biking is the area between the Southbank going towards san marco?

2) I see the walk on the Acosta to Riverside (which I like) is only 2 miles. Is this a safe. doable, common path for people to walk. Like could I walk from the Southbank to Riverside or would that be weird? Especially as a female, could I do this on my own

3) I will be working at Baptist which is 0.7 miles away if not less. It would be great to walk/bike but the area between the highrises on the southbank and the hospital doesn't quite seem walkable for its sketchiness. Anyone have any insight on this.
I am a city girl and it takes a lot to daunt me but at the same time I know walking in most of Jax is not really a "thing" and common sense is king.

Thanks in advance!
I'm female and lived in the Strand for years and YES you can walk anywhere you mentioned in daylight. But of course you need what I call "Big eyes".

NO do NOT walk around the bridges or down to anywhere at night alone. And you're pushing your LUCK to walk on the boardwalk much past the Crowne Plaza hotel/Ruth's Cris where it curves there at the little museum and under the bridge.

ALSO the Peace Treaty Park is not recommended at night. By the BP station.

YES my clients who live in the Strand, Peninsula, San Marco Place JOG all the time to Riverside like, daily. Many with their dogs. One is only 5 Ft tall but she's Army. LOL. Five miles is nothing for her and she does it at least once a day with her dog.

Or down to San Marco for yoga or coffee or what not.

At night is a different story.

I'm from Philly the former "City of Murder" so it takes alot to daunt me, too. But I operated a dog walking business out there and even though I'd work even DOWNTOWN at night all hours, there are sketchy people hanging around the bridges at night and on the routes you mentioned. Ditto Friendship Fountain Park unless there's a busy night with activities there. Don't go walking down there at night alone. But I walked dogs from Peninsula to the Friendship Fountain ALL THE TIME in the daylight. You don't wanna walk far on the boardwalk in the dark much anyway it's slippery with black algae so don't wear Crocs or you'll be on your butt!

If you BIKE, you'd probably be fine.

I have a MILLION stories, trust me on this. Like three crack head girls approaching me asking "Do you have a dolly [dollAR] on River Rd in front of a million dollar 6 condo building but they lived in those sketchy apartments called River Run or something like that. in the middle of the block.

But I was in my CAR, which they circled. I COULD HAVE been walking a dog, though. I actually spoke to them and asked "do you live in there, is it nice?" just to evaluate the situation LOL. LOTS of transients in that place.

Once I walked over to the Landing for a concert. I walked back at 9 when it was dark and three people followed me getting off the Main Street bridge jumping out from a empty office building parking lot by the bridge.

The funny thing is there's a homeless looking younger guy who is mentally challenged and always wandering ....who I KNOW from being a dog walker. (KNOW as in saying HI to each other) He's always reading. He happened to be in front of me and I caught up to him chatting him up. I think he though I was nuts hahaha.

It's not Philly/DC scary it's quiet dark occasional weirdo crack head cautious.

Also downtown a fake crack head tried to grab a dog from me at 2 PM right in front of 11 East and when he couldn't get her he tried to punch her in the face. I dumped the dog home and tried to chase that SOB in my car but lost him.

The cops told me criminals from up North (GEORGIA LOL) were coming to Jax as opportunists they aren't "really" homeless/crack heads just street thuggy broke aholes.

You'll be fine, just carry the pepper spray and a pocket air horn.

And carry yourself with your city swagger not your Florida pace/attitude.

I'll share a quote from the Riverside Walgreen's overnight clerk kid when I first moved here: "Don't be afraid of our bums, they're nice, they saved me from getting mugged by the crack heads in the park last week." LOL (over in Riverside on the water I think it's Memorial Park). Don't go THERE either at night, but Riverside itself is fine.

He was actually right on the money. We used to have quite a few homeless old guys on the South Bank boardwalk even sleeping there but they seemed to have moved on. But they were all nice and even picked up trash as if a civic responsibility or something.

I'm sure you'll like it. IT's overall peaceful and nice to be by the river. The only bummer is the only shopping is at the BP station - which closes EARLY hahaha. You need to go way down Hendrix for gas at night. Or milk. OR eggs. Or anything!

I used to go down to University Ave to Wynn Dixie or the new Publix, much nicer than the little one in Riverside.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-04-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 PM

It's also a ROYAL pain driving to the hospital because of the train so factor that in if you're on a shift and running late. You can get stuck 15 minutes or more in the traffic, at the lights to cross the RR tracks, at the 95 entrance before the tracks and overall shift change or rush hour traffic - it's a pocket.

I NEVER planned my jobs in San Marco around 2:00 cuz I always got stuck behind long freight train crossings.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-04-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
It's fine ON the South Bank proper to the Main St bridge. Down where there are the bridges and the NORTH end of San Marco with former motel one room - studio efficiencies, TONS of renters, and a bad apt complex it can get dicey for a woman alone on foot in the DARK. Although one of those studio apartment places is pretty expensive. But there are several. Lots of transients there.

The hospital area itself butts up to North San Marco and it's always BUSY and fine but across the street where the housing and convenience stores start, and the Ronald McDonald area...not guaranteed.

There's an oxycotin clinic around the corner on SM Blvd, too. North San Marco really isn't great for a woman walking around alone till you get IN SAN MARCO proper, where the square is.

A condo owner at the Doral told me that when I went to see her unit to rent. SHE's the one who sent me to the Strand even though she wanted to rent out her place, she was being honest.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-04-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville