Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 AM

45 posts, read 168,443 times

Advertisements

My family and I (we're from Toronto) just returned from a one week vacation to Amelia Island over the holidays. We went because we were looking for someplace in Florida a little bit different. We heard it was beautiful and all our internet research seemed to confirm this. But I must say its even more beautiful in person. Absolutely stunning (on the Plantation, where we stayed), gorgeous empty beaches, very nice and well kept downtown, great food, and wonderful people. I also really loved that this is a true "southern" locale, complete with the famed southern hospitality and good natured people. Very different (in a positive way) to other southern Florida cities we have visited. All of you who live there or close enough so you can visit regularly are very lucky indeed!

We'll definitely be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,160 times
been here for 3 years and still haven't gotten up there.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM

5,241 posts, read 6,152,814 times
Glad you enjoyed it.........hopefully it won't be your last visit

The Omni Hotel and Resorts purchased Amelia Island Plantation and have invested heavily in bringing it back to the jewel that it once was. Hopefully the economy here will continue it's climb back

Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
To the OP: Glad you liked it. Have seen a lot of out-of-towners these past few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Are you a single guy? That may be why. There can be some pretty good fishing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
. Hopefully the economy here will continue it's climb back
It might be slow, but I'm hopeful it's happening.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 AM

838 posts, read 1,877,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Ya need to get up there Squid ... if you do, you are required to have a drink in the Palace Saloon (I think it's a local law ) ... and if you like history, Ft Clinch is really cool

Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM

I will definitely be back, and if i can convince my wife, maybe consider buying a small vacation home there. I would also especially recommend the Amelia River cruise boat tour (2:30pm, 1.5 hours). Very informative on the area and especially Cumberland Island. Saw a beautiful band of wild horses on the beach - kids loved it.

Just can't stop thinking about our trip.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Ya need to get up there Squid ... if you do, you are required to have a drink in the Palace Saloon (I think it's a local law ) ... and if you like history, Ft Clinch is really cool
Most def. Will do Palace Saloon if I don't have the kids and Ft. Clinch if I do (my 6 year old is going through a Fort stage).

Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Amelia Island is beautiful, it is so unique- and older historical architecture. Was married there years ago, it truly is worth visiting and not commercial and overbuilt (like to many parts of FL)

Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM

5,241 posts, read 6,152,814 times
Great quality of life here!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 AM

Since someone else revived this thread, I will update you all to say we actually ended up purchasing a home on the Plantation this past summer. Spent time there in the summer, over the Christmas holidays and are heading back there in a week or two. My love affair with Amelia deepens with every visit. Now if we can just deal with that unpredictable weather this year! (still better than Canada, where I live).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville