Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,916,079 times

Advertisements

We're going to a 7pm show at the Wilson Center and it's been recommended that we get there early to have decent seats. But beforehand we'd like to get something to eat. Can anyone recommend a restaurant near FCCJ in which we can be in and out in about a half hour or so (other than McDonalds, etc.)? A sandwich shop (other than Subway) that serves the dinner crowd would be fine. I just don't know that part of town. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 12:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times
There are some places that come to mind, in no particular order:

Gene's Seafood

There's one right across the street from FCCJ on Beach - look for the big Marlin (there's a sportsman fishing shop there). Gene's is a sit down place, but it's casual and they're usually pretty fast and not expensive.
http://www.genesseafood.com/our_story.htm

Mangrove Island Grille

This is on the west side of St. John's Bluff, just south of the Beach Blvd intersection (in the brand new shopping plaza where Saigon Bistro is and Kishak Jewelry). Excellent grouper sandwich . They're a little pricey, but I liked the food (my husband was not impressed though ).
http://www.mangroveislandgrille.com/

Tijuana Flats

A bit further down Beach Blvd, just east of Hodges Blvd, on the north side of Beach (across from the Plant Ranch nursery). I'm a big fan of Tijuana Flats !
http://tijuanaflats.com/

There are a lot of other choices in either direction on Beach Blvd (this area is loaded with restaurants), so you can wing it if you wanted to.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM

227 posts, read 967,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Tijuana Flats

A bit further down Beach Blvd, just east of Hodges Blvd, on the north side of Beach (across from the Plant Ranch nursery). I'm a big fan of Tijuana Flats !
Tijuana Flats
You can't beat Tijuana Flats in that area if you need to be in and out if 30 minutes. It's quick and the food is great.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,011,427 times
Siennas pizza at beach and kernan

Old 12-03-2007, 08:35 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,916,079 times
Too many choices!!! :-) Just kiddin'

Thank you all SO much!! I haven't a clue what I'd do without this forum!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM

Thought of one more:

Sala Thai

On the northside of Beach Blvd (same side as FCCJ), just west of the St. John's Bluff intersection - look for "Billiards" (well known Jax pool bar) in the long strip mall. This is also a sit down place (very casual), but they are lightning fast! There's no long wait for your food here and it's really good thai too. I get takeout from here and my food is always ready in 10 minutes or less.

But like David said above, Tijuana Flats is going to be the fastest (though it's not as close to FCCJ physically as the others I mentioned). Siena's should be fast too (I've only been there once myself, but I'd say they were quick).

Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM

472 posts, read 1,539,973 times
I recommend "The Flats"

Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
I recommend "The Flats"
I feel like I need to run out for a veggie black bean burrito.......!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 PM

65 posts, read 255,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Mangrove Island Grille

This is on the west side of St. John's Bluff, just south of the Beach Blvd intersection (in the brand new shopping plaza where Saigon Bistro is and Kishak Jewelry). Excellent grouper sandwich . They're a little pricey, but I liked the food (my husband was not impressed though ).
Welcome To The Mangrove Island Grille - Home
I actually work here, and I love it. The food is pretty good, although I'm vegetarian, so I get the same 2 or 3 things consistently.

In any case, it's all fresh, house-made stuff and they're trying to do a new menu ("Floribbean", if you will) that is healthy but keep the quick service feel (every entree out in 10 minutes or under).

If you check it out and like us, please spread the word! We're now offering coupons, frequent diner cards and the like, and have a 15% student discount with ID.

Menu's on the website, if you are interested.

(Although I have to agree with riveree; for not being full-service and doing "lunchy" foods, it is a little higher-priced than most.)

Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toops View Post
I actually work here, and I love it. The food is pretty good, although I'm vegetarian, so I get the same 2 or 3 things consistently.
What vegetarian entrees do you like, Toops?

I don't eat meat, but I'll have a bit of fish now and then when I go out (trying to go back to vegan again, but fish tastes so good !).

I'll try something all veggie next time I stop in.....what do you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville