Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lange View Post
I have lived in Tampa, Atlanta (BuckHead)and now Jacksonville.

You really should visit each city to see for yourself.

Rude people will not be a problem. Jacksonville is really a small town for a big city.
Tampa, will have more entertainment options.
i just see jax as a very large and spread out suburb. there really isn't a downtown to speak of, just first baptist church and it's many parking garages....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
The problem is that on the Jax forum he/she will hear that Jax is so much better than Tampa even from people who have never been to Tampa.
Ya' think? It's only a 5 hour drive.......I hope everyone has checked out Tampa .

Old 12-07-2007, 11:18 PM

123 posts, read 134,386 times
I just dont think Tampa is all that impressive at all.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:38 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Ya' think? It's only a 5 hour drive.......I hope everyone has checked out Tampa .
You're right, Tampa is just across the way. Maybe I should visit. Never been to Tampa myself and so I cant, and wont comment to the OP. But I've noticed that some of us who have never been there still rush to give the OP a contrasting opinion. I love it here in Jax so I am not even curious about Tampa.

Last edited by cricketfan; 12-08-2007 at 08:49 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 21,678 times
Default Jax or Tampa

I moved here to Jax from NYC and now I am trying to leave asap. I have never been as hurt before I got here. I have read some comments that JAX is very racist, and there is several disputes on that. I will say for myself I have 20 years experience, my first interview I was told Oh my God you are Black, I am a redneck and I do not know if I want to hire a black gal. Well then again, I have fellows that work here and they wear their pant hanging off the butt like a black.

I went on another interview and I was told that they did not trust me because I was a yankee, and black people think they we are stupid. I was offered this job but I turned it down.

I was offered another position and placed into a department where me and my coworker were the only minorities in the company, I was forced to work 15 hours a day 5 days a week with no overtime pay while the entire office went home, my coworker was forced to work more, when I complained my check was taken from me and I am still fighting for it now.

I was hired for another job, and a co worker stood in the middle of the department floor and stated they are trying to do away with the N word she then laughed out loud and state what will they try next. The COO was present and no one said anything. I was the only african american in the company.

I had a meeting with the CFO and another executive and when I walked out of the office the other executive said to the CFO what type of dumb N is that ! I left and had my wages taken from me again.

In all my life, I have lived in a prodominately white neighborhood in NY and I never in my life been treated the way I have been treated here. I have went from to sad.

I was speaking with a older women at the library and my spouse was telling her what we are going through here, the women stated to me I am so sorry that you would have to go through this here, are you thinking about moving to Miami, the Cubans do not know how to act, I stated to here I do not know what you are trying to say, she said well they want to always speak there language they do not know how to act. I said to her coming from NYC I lived in a melting pot, and to be honest it is really nice to learn others culture. She said to me black's know how to act, you are passive and you know how to not speak and what to say when you do.

I looked at my hubby and told her to have a nice day and walk away.

It really hurts me, it's a pain I have never experience before, I have finally come to the conclusion that it is ok to say I am not mad I hurt. I pray and cry everyday that God will deliver me from this place.

I am not saying that everyone here is a racist but Jax has it's share of racism like no other here.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...19772830.shtml

Racist graffiti painted outside Glover's campaign headquarters and Carlucci's office

These are just two articles there are many other's, I am not saying this problem only exist here because that is not true either, but the hurt and discrimination I have experience first hand is what tells me Jax FL has some serious problems

I hope I did not offend anyone

Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 AM

123 posts, read 134,386 times
NYtoFL02, I am so sorry that you had to go through this. I know that this does exist in Jax, and sorry you had to endure this firsthand. You may want to try Orlando. There are tons of NY'ers here, mixed with tons of Latinos, Blacks, Whites, Asians, etc... but mostly Latino's.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:26 AM

365 posts, read 699,165 times
if youve been to New Orleans, you might think its like Tampa, I mean the New Orleans before it went underwater...Id take Tampa anyday...Ive been in Jax 17 years, just because I work here and Id really like to leave... its only big in square miles if you want the truth... basically strip malls and housing divisions all over and totally flat... I live at the beach tho, so its pretty, wouldnt move in to the city... but Deerwood is nice and I think Historic 5 Points is pretty, but its kinda dangerous being close to Riverside...

NY girl, Im sorry about your experience, I find it odd as well tho, because it seems the black female has had a great many advantages in Jax for a real long time, my daughter is white and worked at the Shands Teaching Hospital here and got the opposie treatment, you might want to apply out there...its basically an all black hospital now in regards to employees... racism works both ways more and more in the south, youve only seen the tip of the iceberg, its bad all over, not just in Jax

Old 12-12-2007, 07:30 AM

NY girl, if you encounter anymore of ppl giving you such indepth opinons while they are on the job, you might want to call them up on it or their supervisor, those are some pretty opinionated comments for ppl to make to you while they are working, very strange.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 AM

oh yes, visit Ybor City in Tampa (pronounced "E bore") its all Spanish and has wonderful restaurants and such... I love it... its very old town - Tampa, Jax cant compare to it... just my op...

Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
NYtoFL02, I too am sorry about your situation. But I gotta say there is something wrong with this picture. Your husband is in law enforcement. Is he doing anything to redress all of that humiliation you said you suffered? Like reporting these "equal employment opportunity" interviewers to legal authorities?

And you have 20 years experience as an accountant. In that environment people are expected to be educated and fairly civil where co-workers dont usually act like they are still in the jungle mentally. My goodness, where the heck are you going for job interviews!!!???

If you are interviewing for a job in the health industry, health professionals at all levels are in demand. My sister-in-law, a qualified nurse who is black moved here from the UK and grabbed a nursing job in less than 90 days. Unless the interviewee has a serious problem they are not likely to be scratched out of hand for being black. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, racism exists ... this is the south. It is not confined to Jax. There are white racists, afro-american racists, latino racists, asian racists, indian racists, you name it. You tend to see it more when you are looking for it.

But again, forgive me for thinking that there is something definitely wrong with this picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville